Home

Rewrite NBA History in NBA 2K23 with All-New MyNBA Eras

This is a discussion on Rewrite NBA History in NBA 2K23 with All-New MyNBA Eras within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Rewrite NBA History in NBA 2K23 with All-New MyNBA Eras

2K has revealed NBA 2K23 MyNBA details and features which include the ability to rewrite NBA...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Rewrite NBA History in NBA 2K23 with All-New MyNBA Features

A couple weeks ago I mentioned not feeling like 2K (or any other games) had offered anything that had really pushed me toward feeling like I needed to upgrade to next gen. This reveal, alongside the Jordan Challenge, has changed that outlook.

Quote:
With a few exceptions, every team has at least one unique floor per Era, with a few teams getting more if they had a big rebranding or relocation; approximately 100(!) new floors in total across all Eras. The long-term goal is to eventually have every floor as close to the year-to-year changes as possible, but for now, we’re confident that you’ll be able to have a great time with all of the versions available in Eras.
Quote:
In the same vein as the arena floors, we worked to get as many uniforms as possible for each of the teams. Thanks to years of effort by the MyTEAM folks, we started with a pretty large library and have done our best to pair them up with each of the teams so you should be seeing uniform changes at least once per Era, if not more frequently. When a team relocates, we make sure we have matching uniforms to fit the new city.
My big question, which goes unaddressed, is what team rosters and gameplay look like from year to year. Like, will random teams like the 1984 Spurs just be George Gervin, Gene Banks, Artis Gilmore, and a bunch of generics filling things out?

Even if that's the case, it seems like an amazing base to work with.

I love the era-specific filters, particularly the 80's ensemble, but this one hit me with a giant wave of NBA 2K3 nostalgia. What a cheeky idea for early 2000's presentation:

Some of my other favorite tidbits:

* Era-specific logos from 2K's sponsors are confirmed (we noticed these in screenshots from the Jordan challenge). They reached out to each brand to get designs just right for their time.

* The long-term goal of getting every single court change accounted for (as opposed to what sounds like mostly just the big changes this year). This suggests that it's a project 2K's planning on investing in over time.

* Yearly historical rule changes (which the user can choose to accept or decline). The example cited was the NBA's alteration to the shot clock reset rule in '92. Prior, the shot clock reset upon hitting the rim or the backboard.

* Yearly historical branding changes (ex: Suns will switch over to the Sunblast unis for the 1992-93 season)

* Authentic division alignment year-by-year

* Authentic All-Star jerseys, including years where players wore their own team's uniforms (though it's written a bit oddly, making me wonder if they're having players wear their own team uniforms for more years than they did).

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-18-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #3
VFL

LeBlonde James's Arena

OVR: 3

This could be the best 2k ever, sounds incredible.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2022, 10:13 AM   #4
Pro

vetmin's Arena

OVR: 0

Sounds dope as hell. Props to 2K.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #5
Banned

GREATEST. 2K. EVER.

It was a nice run 2k11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

You are all welcome hahaha....but WOW! Better than I expected
Old 08-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
Rookie

Does this mean the 93 Suns are in the game, the 99 pacers, 97 Rockets, etc.... All of the 2000's teams?
Old 08-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingelsby
Does this mean the 93 Suns are in the game, the 99 pacers, 97 Rockets, etc.... All of the 2000's teams?
That'd be my question. Like, is every single team accounted for and playable? Just with generics filling the gaps (i.e. '93 Suns being largely filled but without Chuck? The '96 Raptors being mostly filled with generics? Etc.)

It sounds like official draft classes can be customized so one would presume there'll be people out there who really go all out and shape these classes to be pretty on-point. But yeah, there's definitely some intriguing questions there.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-18-2022 at 10:37 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »