Home

Canelo vs GGG III

This is a discussion on Canelo vs GGG III within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2022, 12:35 PM   #1
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1
Canelo vs GGG III

Hello fight fans, as you know on the 17th Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will square off at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The pair have met twice before, as middleweights, with both fights going the distance.

The first meeting ended in a controversial split draw back in 2017. Most felt that Golovkin won that fight.

A year later, they met again. The second fight went to Alvarez by majority decision but most thought that that too was unjust and that Golovkin was the winner.

On Saturday, they'll do it a third time but this fight will be at the super middleweight class and Alvarez will put his complete set of SMW belts on the line against GGG who rules the middleweight division.

I created this thread for two reasons. First, for open and free discussion of the trilogy and this Saturday's (likely) finale between the two fighters. Second, because Money99 asked me if I could run a few simulations using Glory Days Boxing of this fight.

I agreed and I'm going to pit these two fighters together on my tabletop using Anthony Crooks' fantastic boxing game. I'll be doing one simulation with each of the three modes that the game offers.

In Quick Play, the fight will be simulated round by round. This mode offers the least amount of detail but can stimulate a 12 round fight in a matter of minutes.

Express Play offers more detail and relies much more on ratings for the fighters. The rounds are broken into one minute segments so you get more flavor in experiencing the ebb and flow of the fight but a 12 round fight can be completed in 15 minutes or so.

Finally, I'll use the full version of the game. In the full version the rounds are broken into 20 second segments. This offers maximum use of ratings and gives you a full fight experience. A 12 round fight will normally take around 30 minutes to complete.

In the game, Alvarez is carded in both the middle and super middleweight divisions. GGG, however, is only carded as a middleweight. Fortunately, I was able to reach out to Anthony Crooks of Glory Days Games and he gave me the adjustments to make to Golovkin to use him as a super middleweight so I'll be able to run these simulations at the same weight we will see the fighters at on Saturday.

I have played a lot of cards and dice sports games over the years and I can say without hesitation that Glory Days Boxing is the best one I've ever played and I'm only a casual boxing fan.

There is a Glory Days Boxing thread here at OS with some information about the game and you can find people playing it on YouTube a well. I also have my ongoing "Unified Boxing Federation" using Glory Days Boxing which can be found in the Other Sports Dynasties section of the OS forums, if anyone is interested in any of the above.

I'll post my sim results of Canelo v GGG III here this week as I play them out but this thread isn't just for those simulations. Feel free to discuss the trilogy, Saturday's upcoming fight, your thoughts and predictions and to post thoughts as the fight is happening if you are able to watch it this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Canelo vs GGG III

YES!
Thanks buddy!
Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Old 09-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Just don't use Adelaide Byrd, LOL
Old 09-12-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZYankee
Just don't use Adelaide Byrd, LOL
Old 09-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

With regards to the referee and judges, I'll be using the ones that are actually presiding over the fight on Saturday night but in name only.

They are...

Referee: Russell Mora Jr.

Judges: Dave Moretti, Steve Weisfeld, David Sutherland

These 4 are not rated in the game (there are 20 referees and 20 judges throughout history who are rated for use in the game) so I'll be using generic referee and judge ratings in my fights but I'll be applying the names of the real ones to those results.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2022, 05:17 PM   #6
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

I've completed the Quick Play fight and I'm about to start on the Express Play fight. I may do all 3 today or I may save the full version for later in the week.

Either way, I'm going to try to post the results one fight at a time beginning Wednesday. So I'll post the Quick Play fight on Wednesday, the Express Play fight on Thursday and the full version on Friday.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

Good morning, fight fans. We are inching closer to Saturday night's fight and on this Wednesday morning it is time for me to release the first of three simulations that I did on Monday using Glory Days Boxing.

As I mentioned before Anthony Crooks, who is the creator of this fantastic tabletop boxing simulation, was kind enough to give me ratings adjustments for GGG to fight him as a super middleweight. In the complete set of more than 1100 cards for boxers that span all eras, Canelo is carded as both a middleweight and a super middleweight, but Golovkin is only carded as a middleweight. The adjustments Anthony provided allow us to match these great fighters up as super middleweights, just as they will on Saturday night.

The first simulation was done using the game's Quick Play mode. Quick Play allows you to simulate a full 12 rounds in less than 10 minutes as each round is completed with just a couple of dice rolls. Obviously with such a mode, a lot of the unique ratings of each fighter don't come into play that often. This mode is heavily reliant on GDB's Ring General system. While things like Power, Chin Knockdown, Chin Knockout, Will, Stamina, Defense and Counter Punching do factor into the results, they do so to a lesser degree than in the more robust Express Play and the Full Version.

That being said, let's jump into our Quick Play simulation.

The first 5 rounds were quite evenly fought, with a slight edge to Golovkin. Through the first 5 rounds, GGG held a narrow 48-47, 47-48, 48-47 edge with the judges and he landed the only potentially show-stopping punches in the 5th round, but Canelo took those punches and just smiled at GGG.

Rounds 6 through 8 saw the fight change course as Canelo swept the 6th and 7th with the judges and won with two of them in the 8th.

The 9th round saw GGG have a point deducted by referee Russell Mora Jr for a particularly egregious head butt. The ninth was scored 10-8, 9-9 and 10-8 in favor of Alvarez.

Alvarez won on 5 of the 9 cards over the last three rounds as neither fighter was ever in much danger of being stopped throughout the fight. Just as the first two fights between the pair were, this one was left to the judges to decide.

After 12 rounds at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, NV, Dave Moretti scored the bout 116-111, Steve Weisfeld had it 115-112 and David Sutherland also scored the fight 115-112 in favor of the winner and still Super Middleweight Champion of the World - Canelo Alvarez!

There you have it. Our first simulation went the distance as the two previous meetings between Golovkin and Alvarez have. Alvarez improves to 2-0-1 against GGG and he has provided all three blemishes (justified or not) to Golovkin's record.

You have to think that this settles this great rivalry and that we won't be seeing these two square off again. GGG will be left to ponder what could (or even should) have been in his first two fights with Canelo but there wasn't much controversy in this one. The real question that is left unanswered at this point is whether or not this is the end of the great career of the 40-year-old Golovkin.

Feel free to comment on this simulation and about the real fight that is coming up on Saturday night. I'll be back tomorrow to post the results of the Express Play simulation!
Old 09-15-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

Happy Thursday all! It's time for the second of our three simulations of this coming Saturday's super middleweight bout between Gennady (or Gennadiy if you prefer) Golovkin and Canelo (or Saul if you prefer) Alvarez.

This simulation was done using Glory Days Boxing's Express Play mode. Rather than the fight being played out round-by-round as it is in Quick Play, Express Play simulates the bout minute-by-minute, so the game experience offers more detail than Quick Play does.

With that said, let's get to the fight!

The opening round was action-packed, with both fighters coming out punching. At 1:54 of the round GGG hurt Canelo with a powerful combination but the SMW champ took the abuse in stride. With 11 seconds left, some swelling developed around the left eye of Alvarez as Golovkin landed 19 scoring punches in the round to his 12.

Despite a 11-6 advantage in scoring blows in Round 2, Alvarez' left eye develops more swelling 1:27 in. At 2:43 of the round, a wicked uppercut by GGG drops Canelo. Alvarez is up on 1, takes the mandatory 8 and is allowed to proceed. The round ends with a raucous cheer from GGG supporters.

Alvarez turns it on in Round 3, landing 17 punches to just 3 from Golovkin.

The 4th round swings back to GGG. He lands 18 scoring punches while Canelo is limited to 8.

The action is balanced in the 5th round, with the edge in scoring blows going to Canelo Alvarez, 9-8.

The fight bogs down in the 6th round, with both fighters flailing between spells of tying each other up. Alvarez connects 6 times, Golovkin just twice.

A recharged Alvarez stormed the ring in the 7th round, landing 19 times. Golovkin is limited to 6 punches landed.

As GGG fatigues, his production dips. He is only able to connect on 2 scoring punches in the 8th round. Canelo lands another 15 times in the round and appears to have put the first few rounds behind him to take charge.

Out of gas, GGG struggles to get to Alvarez in the 9th round. While he does land 5 punches, Alvarez is not slowing, and he connects on 14 scoring punches.

More of the same in the 10th round. The tally of scoring blows favors Canelo 16-5.

Alvarez adds 15 more scoring blows in the 11th round and he limits a worn Golovkin to 6.

The final frame sees Canelo Alvarez leave little doubt in the minds of fans as he pours it on again. He lands 19 punches to close the fight. An exhausted Golovkin can manage just 4 punches landed in the 12th round.

The total of Punches Landed for the entire 12 rounds favors Canelo Alvarez by a wide margin of 161-84. He was knocked down in the 2nd round but will it be enough for Gennady Golovkin who was completely taken apart over the final six rounds.

We go to the cards...

Judge Dave Moretti scores the bout 115-112, Judge Steve Weisfeld scores the bout 115-112, and Judge David Sutherland scores the bout 117-110 all in favor of your winner and still Super Middleweight Champion of the World - Saul "Canelo" Alvarez!

So, there you have it. Express Play agrees with Quick Play in giving us a full 12 rounds with Alvarez winning unanimously.

Tomorrow I'll post the final simulation of this upcoming fight. The third sim will use Glory Days Boxing's full game ruleset. Will we get a different result, or will Canelo Alvarez sweep our trilogy? Find out tomorrow!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »