Home

NFL Pro Era (NFL licensed VR game) is out NOW!

This is a discussion on NFL Pro Era (NFL licensed VR game) is out NOW! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
NFL Pro Era (NFL licensed VR game) is out NOW!

Just wanted to let anyone who has a Quest VR headset know that NFL Pro Era is out now! Been looking forward to the game since it was announced and so far it hasn't disappointed. It is NFL licensed so it has all real teams, players and schedules.

It really reminds me of the first-person mode of NFL2K but now in real virtual reality. You only control the offense and the QB but you can physically move around in the space or use a joystick to run. If you aren't familiar with VR, you are the QB (with full customization of looks, name, gear, ect). You call the plays (on your wrist), can be under center or in shotgun, do hand-offs, make throws, can run with the QB. When on defense, you watch it play out from the sidelines. It has full seasons and a customizable locker room and a trophy room that you can walk around in physically. There is also multi-player but I haven't tried it yet. If you are a NFL fan, I would definitely recommend you try it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2022, 11:16 PM   #2
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: NFL Pro Era (NFL licensed VR game) is out NOW!

Here's the news and the trailer.

https://www.operationsports.com/nfl-...-vr-platforms/

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-16-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
Pro

SincerelYourz's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NFL Pro Era (NFL licensed VR game) is out NOW!

Excellent! I hope this is supported by the community.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
Sharing my review that I posted on the Oculus Quest reddit page of the game in case anyone is interested. Quest, like Steam, lets you refund the game if you've played it less than 2 hours in case you don't really like it, but I'm pretty sure if you try it and are a NFL fan you'll probably keep the game.

I wanted to wait until I played all modes and played the game for several hours prior to giving a full review. For anyone who is looking for a full Madden style game where you control offense, defense and special teams this may not be for you. Also, if you want to be the Head Coach of your favorite team, this may not be for you. The point of this game is to experience what it's like to be QB1 of your favorite team and for that, it does a FANTASTIC job.

When you start the game, you get to choose your favorite team (GO EAGLES). From there, you can customize your player, including equipment, name and number. You can also play as the current QB1. All of the REAL players are in the game on offense and defense. The game then takes you into a tutorial where Lamar Jackson explains the controls.

After the tutorial, you are dropped into a really cool locker room with gear from you chosen team. You can physically walk around the room or use the joystick to move around. The room also includes a really large trophy room where all of the trophies you collect will be shown. For instance, there is a wall where you can collect game balls for each NFL team that you beat. Really cool. You can physically walk around this room as well and interact with your trophies.

GAMEPLAY:

OFFENSE: As I said earlier, this is a QB simulator, so you only control the offense and only control the QB. The game is very realistic as you do not call the initial play but you have an arm wrist where you can swipe to different audibles (out of the initial formation). The play is called in your headset by the offensive coordinator. Each stadium looks like its NFL counterpart. In the Eagles stadium, I could see all of our banners hanging which was awesome. The crowd reacts depending on if you are on the road or at home (on the road can be crazy loud). Once you pick the play, the action begins. If it is a run play you must actually hand the ball off (the playbook even includes Read Option plays). The QB is free to scramble around and out of the pocket as well. If you throw an INT, you can go tackle the defender (which makes me wish they had defense). Throwing feels pretty good (especially if auto is off) but it is not perfect as it does not always go to the intended target. I have gotten significantly better after practicing in the separate practice mode though.

DEFENSE: If you play a full game, you sit defense out but you can watch from the sidelines as the game is played. You can physically or with a joystick move around the sideline for a better view. You can also sim the defense to get back in the action. In close games, it actually feels pretty intense to watch your defense and hope they can stop the team if they have the ball last. While on the sideline, you have a clipboard where you can check stats.

MODES:

The game has a Full Season mode and there is a Chalkboard in the locker room with tips for each game including players to watch out for. The game also keeps stats throughout the season for top players in different categories and NFC v AFC.

There is also a practice mode and exhibition mode where you can pick any match up for one game. There are several mini games which I highly recommend as a way to get your throwing and movement mechanics down. Finally, there is a multiplayer mode where you and several friends can play catch in a huge NFL arena.....my experiences have been (as many VR games) flooded with young kids but your experience may be different.

CONCLUSION: NFL Pro Era is advertised as a QB1 experience. If you go into the game with that expectation, I think you will love the game especially if you are a NFL fan. If you want a more complete experience then 2MD is probably a better game for you. Playing as your favorite QB (or yourself as QB1) on your favorite team in their actual stadium is what VR is all about and I think NFL Pro Era has done a great job of translating the NFL QB feeling to VR. There are some glitches (some that Madden still hasn't figured out....like RB running out of bounds immediately on out routes....) and the passing could be tightened up some but all in all this is a game that every NFL fan should at least give a try.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:54 PM   #5
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
The wow factor is incredible but the game is way too easy even on the hardest level. Litterally score every possesion. So for as unbelievably cool this game is its not that fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2022, 12:22 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
No penalties, no fair catches or touchbacks, no trades or injuries, have yet to see a fumble. This game is a great base but they have a lot to add. Also, if you play more than 1 season you will play the exact same schedule every time
Old 09-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
That's pretty rough. Should have just copied 2k first person football.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #8
Rookie

Tribe1's Arena

OVR: 5
I've been enjoying my time with it. Yes there are some issues and season is limited with no injuries and stuff like that but the game is fun and immersive. My main complaint is 95% of the plays called are passes (I've only been the Bengals so I don't know if its like this for all teams) and the only time I get any runs is when I audible to a running play.

On the immersion side, I scrambled when I saw an open endzone and not even thinking actually took of running straight in to a wall in my media room

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »