Home

TIME TO ADMIT FAILURE

This is a discussion on TIME TO ADMIT FAILURE within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
TIME TO ADMIT FAILURE

Well, its official. My Oakland A's complete rebuild has come to an end. I was fired after year 3 as GM because the rebuild ended up being a complete failure. Wow did it really end up being awful haha.

So, it's on to a new challenge for the winter. I'm moving to the NL and I'm going to choose a team to rebuild, it doesn't have to be a total rebuild but at least somewhat of a rebuild.....

So, I'm choosing between -

MARLINS (PRO = GOOD UNIFORMS, GOOD STADIUM. CON = WON A WS IN THE 200'S AND DOES ANYONE CARE ABOUT BASEBALL IN MIAMI?)

NATIONALS (PRO = TOTAL REBUILD, GOOD UNIFORMS, GOOD STADIUM. CON = RECENTLY WON A WS)

BREWERS (PRO = NEVER WON A WS, GOOD UNIFORMS, DECENT STADIUM. CON = WOULD HAVE TO DUMP SOME GOOD PLAYERS TO MAKE IT A REBUILD)

REDS (PRO = NO PRO'S I DON'T LIKE CINCY DUE TO OTHER SPORT RIVALRIES)

PIRATES (PRO = SEE REDS)

DBACKS (PRO = GOOD TEAM TO REBUILD. CON = I DO NOT LIKE THEIR UNIFORMS OR STADIUM)

ROCKIES (PRO = GOOD TEAM TO REBUILD, NEVER WON A WS, GOOD STADIUM). CON = I DO NOT LIKE THEIR UNIFORMS, I LOVE PURPLE BUT THEIR UNIFORMS ARE BLEH)

GIANTS (PRO- GREAT STADIUM. CON = I'VE USED THEM IN PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF THE SHOW, PLUS THEY'VE HAD TOO MUCH SUCCESS IN THE 2000'S)

So as I type this, I think I might be leaning Brewers or Marlins. It's a big decision ! As me and KnightTemp always say, this game is addictive and we have an illness
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: TIME TO ADMIT FAILURE

OK....so a couple of thoughts.

1. I think the Brewers are well-past any semblance of a rebuild (which you allude to a bit). That pitching staff is dominant and under control for at least 3 seasons. Yes, the offense is meh, but they're really the cream of the crop in that division. Dumping good guys from the outset to "make it a rebuild" is, IMO, a path to making it feel a bit contrived - you might have difficulties feeling connected. Another con (IMO), their broadcast pitching camera is awful if you use that.

2. A thought about teams "you hate". One of my favorite franchises ever was using a franchise (Atlanta) I absolutely cannot stand IRL. You have zero connection to anyone (because of your disdain) so you can really be objective and focus on building YOUR team. If you can really stomach it, the Pirates are such an interesting team with great uniforms and a beautiful ballpark. Just...don't dismiss options out-of-hand...though I totally get it....

3. If using the Nats - I'd like to recommend using an early-season roster. Soto is the reason here. Honestly, this is an opportunity to make your mark with a big move (and one within reason) that distances you from real life.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:18 AM   #3
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
OK....so a couple of thoughts.

1. I think the Brewers are well-past any semblance of a rebuild (which you allude to a bit). That pitching staff is dominant and under control for at least 3 seasons. Yes, the offense is meh, but they're really the cream of the crop in that division. Dumping good guys from the outset to "make it a rebuild" is, IMO, a path to making it feel a bit contrived - you might have difficulties feeling connected. Another con (IMO), their broadcast pitching camera is awful if you use that.

2. A thought about teams "you hate". One of my favorite franchises ever was using a franchise (Atlanta) I absolutely cannot stand IRL. You have zero connection to anyone (because of your disdain) so you can really be objective and focus on building YOUR team. If you can really stomach it, the Pirates are such an interesting team with great uniforms and a beautiful ballpark. Just...don't dismiss options out-of-hand...though I totally get it....

3. If using the Nats - I'd like to recommend using an early-season roster. Soto is the reason here. Honestly, this is an opportunity to make your mark with a big move (and one within reason) that distances you from real life.
You are absolutely right about the Brewers. I've done that with GOOD teams in the past that I wanted to "rebuild" and immediately felt like this does not feel genuine and ended up scrapping it. That's why maybe Miami feels a bit more like it could be more of an actual rebuild than MKE does. Miami also does already have some good young players. Man I really do like the Brewers uniform options though....I suppose I need to take more than uniform options in to consideration lol

The "hate" teams. I could not do Pitt, I just can't. Although they are the PERFECT team for what I am looking for. LOL. The Reds I could consider because the feelings aren't quite as strong.

My issue with the Nats is the recent run of success they had. I kinda am leaning towards finding a team that hasn't won anything in a while. But you're right that they otherwise do have everything else that I would be looking for if I can get past that. Okay so the Nats are back in as an option.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
You are absolutely right about the Brewers. I've done that with GOOD teams in the past that I wanted to "rebuild" and immediately felt like this does not feel genuine and ended up scrapping it. That's why maybe Miami feels a bit more like it could be more of an actual rebuild than MKE does. Miami also does already have some good young players. Man I really do like the Brewers uniform options though....I suppose I need to take more than uniform options in to consideration lol

The "hate" teams. I could not do Pitt, I just can't. Although they are the PERFECT team for what I am looking for. LOL. The Reds I could consider because the feelings aren't quite as strong.

My issue with the Nats is the recent run of success they had. I kinda am leaning towards finding a team that hasn't won anything in a while. But you're right that they otherwise do have everything else that I would be looking for if I can get past that. Okay so the Nats are back in as an option.
OK....real talk...I thought Cincy would be the 100% NO for you (not Pittsburgh).

If you can stomach Cincy...a couple of thoughts:

1. GABP is a bandbox. You might like the contrast after using the A's; but expect lots of HRs.
2. You have a nice mix of expiring deals but a major behemoth contract with Votto that can slow things down. It's a strange mix. The pipeline is a mixed-bag too.

----------------
Miami is interesting. They're kind like my Orioles (I am in Year 3 now of that rebuild) - you have a pretty good haul of young talent in the pipeline. Now it is about really growing them and adding pieces. I like them a bit better for you as the Nats are a bit more like the A's as they are in a bad state (the "scenario" might feel a little stale for you.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #5
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Just a thought for you, as far as the teams you like but dont care for their uniform/stadium, you could do a full rebuild & rebrand and create custom uniforms or a custom stadium for the team as well. Could possibly help make the team you choose feel more like your own

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Operation Sports mobile app

Thanks Peyton. #18
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
OK....real talk...I thought Cincy would be the 100% NO for you (not Pittsburgh).

If you can stomach Cincy...a couple of thoughts:

1. GABP is a bandbox. You might like the contrast after using the A's; but expect lots of HRs.
2. You have a nice mix of expiring deals but a major behemoth contract with Votto that can slow things down. It's a strange mix. The pipeline is a mixed-bag too.

----------------
Miami is interesting. They're kind like my Orioles (I am in Year 3 now of that rebuild) - you have a pretty good haul of young talent in the pipeline. Now it is about really growing them and adding pieces. I like them a bit better for you as the Nats are a bit more like the A's as they are in a bad state (the "scenario" might feel a little stale for you.
Yeah its a Steelers/Browns problem. The Steelers have beaten the Browns so often that I don't want any of their other teams to have any success hahaha. Cincy is a nice town and they haven't had a ton of success until recently so the feelings aren't as harsh. But you brought up some good points that make them an interesting choice that I'll have to think about.

I kind of like the Marlins option for the reasons that you mentioned. There are pieces there to build around. The A's were so barren that getting that WS in 3 years was REALLY difficult, which is the challenge that I wanted but I'm not sure it's possible without it feeling like I cheated the system in order to get there. Does that make sense? It should feel somewhat "real" .
Old 09-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

The Nats recently won a World Series and at this rate they may never come close again. They are sorta stinkero for the near future unless someone bold comes along…….hint. Nice uniforms, citi connect, nice stadium.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
The Nats recently won a World Series and at this rate they may never come close again. They are sorta stinkero for the near future unless someone bold comes along…….hint. Nice uniforms, citi connect, nice stadium.
They are definitely in the conversation. It kinda feels like I'm interviewing these handful of teams and need to make THE DECISION of where i'm going to invest my time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »