Home

The 10 Worst Player Ratings in Madden 24

This is a discussion on The 10 Worst Player Ratings in Madden 24 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2023, 06:35 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The 10 Worst Player Ratings in Madden 24

It goes without saying that the makers of Madden have been known to make a mistake...

Written By: Kevin Scott

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The 10 Worst Player Ratings in Madden 24

I'll just say after reading the article, I simply cannot agree more about Highsmith, when I first seen the reveal for him, I couldn't believe it..after the year he had last year I knew he was rated too low.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 08-21-2023, 08:06 PM   #3
Rookie

steelheat226's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree with the entire article other than Tua. I believe he’s right where he belongs.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:26 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Daniel Jones was dead last in the NFL in average depth of target in 2022 among quarterbacks who dropped back to pass at least 150 times. That's every starter and several backups more aggressive and able to push the ball down the field than Jones. Among quarterbacks with at least 380 pass drops, PFF credited Jones with fully 7 "big-time throws"; PFF defines a big-time throw as "a pass with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window". Only Matt Ryan had fewer among the 25 quarterbacks with that many drop-backs. There is literally no argument for Jones being underrated as a passing quarterback until he actually starts consistently throwing and completing passes to receivers who run vertical routes or are in tight windows.

Elsewhere, Alex Highsmith for his part didn't jump off the page as anything more than a cleanup guy taking advantage of opportunities granted to him by scheme, as I laid out previously. Additionally, PFF ranked Highsmith only 44th in their "pass rush productivity" metric; there's a lot of statistical evidence supporting the idea that Highsmith simply wasn't beating guys the way we see actual premiere edge rushers do.

Finally, three of Justin Tucker's four field goal misses in 2022 were blocked. It's difficult to fault Tucker for missing those kicks which never had a chance to go in.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 08-21-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:12 AM   #5
Rookie

BodamEscapePlan's Arena

OVR: 1

I disagree that Tua, Nuk Hopkins, and Zach Ertz are rated too high. Tua seems to be just right if you actually breakdown why his overall is that high, it's simple answer: Madden doesn't weigh the INJURY and TOUGHNESS ratings into the overalls (at least not enough to truly matter). As for Hopkins and Ertz, both players have proven to be among the best at their position when they've been able to play. You can't hold availability too far over their heads, at least when it comes to discussing Madden overall ratings.

On the underrated side, I couldn't agree more with Highsmith, DJ Reed, and Tyler Allgeier. I also consider players like JK Dobbins, Evan Engram, Jeffrey Simmons, Khalil Herbert, David Long Jr. (MIA), Derrick Brown, Dre'Mont Jones, Nico Collins, Zion Johnson, Rhamondre Stevenson, Jaylon Johnson, and Taloana Hufunga are super underrated in this year's version of the game while guys like Dak Prescott, Devante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Chandler Jones, Isaiah Oliver, Deion Jones, Hunter Renfrow, Chase Young, Dalvin Cook, and Cesar Ruiz are much higher than I'd rate them. Those are just off the top of my head, too.
NCAAF: NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
@michaelsbodam | PSN: BodamEscapePlan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2023, 02:07 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Daniel Jones was dead last in the NFL in average depth of target in 2022 among quarterbacks who dropped back to pass at least 150 times. That's every starter and several backups more aggressive and able to push the ball down the field than Jones. Among quarterbacks with at least 380 pass drops, PFF credited Jones with fully 7 "big-time throws"; PFF defines a big-time throw as "a pass with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window". Only Matt Ryan had fewer among the 25 quarterbacks with that many drop-backs. There is literally no argument for Jones being underrated as a passing quarterback until he actually starts consistently throwing and completing passes to receivers who run vertical routes or are in tight windows.

Elsewhere, Alex Highsmith for his part didn't jump off the page as anything more than a cleanup guy taking advantage of opportunities granted to him by scheme, as I laid out previously. Additionally, PFF ranked Highsmith only 44th in their "pass rush productivity" metric; there's a lot of statistical evidence supporting the idea that Highsmith simply wasn't beating guys the way we see actual premiere edge rushers do.

Finally, three of Justin Tucker's four field goal misses in 2022 were blocked. It's difficult to fault Tucker for missing those kicks which never had a chance to go in.
I'm not a Giants fan, but this seems a bit unfair. Lets compare 75 rated Jones, with 91 rated Lamar based on last years efforts. Reasonable comp given the lack of receiver support both have and their tendency to run, although Ravens had a significantly better offensive line.

I'll use percentages to compare here as Jones played 16 games, whilst Lamar played 12

Passing

Jones: 67.2% accuracy, at 6.8 YPC. 15 TD / 5 INT, so a 3:1 TD/INT ratio

Lamar: 62.3 accuracy at 6.9 YPC. 17 TD / 7 INT, so a 2.5:1 TD/INT ratio

Rushing

Jones: 708 yards, at 5.9 per carry, 7 TD in 16 games (.42 TD per game)

Lamar: 764 yards, at 6.8 per carry, 3 TD in 12 games (.25 TD per game)

How can there be a 16 point disparity between them? I get Jones doesn't attempt the big time throws, but that just never looked like their gameplan last year. Who's he going deep to? Darius Slayton? David Sills V?
Old 08-22-2023, 08:48 AM   #7
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Some under the radar ones that have surprised me...
  • Mekhi Becton is a 75 with a SS Dev trait after being a complete flop
  • Jeff Okudah (another flop) is a 77 with a Dev Trait
They give these dev traits to highly drafted rookies and it seems like they never re-evaluate after they've proven to be bad players.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:14 AM   #8
Rookie

New Jersey Giants's Arena

Mekhi Becton has superstar development but Andrew Thomas and Tunsil have star development.

Bryce Young and Dak have superstar development lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »