Home

Stopping the Slant

This is a discussion on Stopping the Slant within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Stopping the Slant

In my online dynasty, there are two user controlled teams. We match up once in the regular season (we are both Big 10 teams), and this year, we are having a rematch of the century for the National Title. Here's the thing, this guy has a gimme play on 3rd and less than 5-7 yards. He always runs the slant. In real-life football, I'd have my DB's take the inside route away. In NCAA 09, I can't do that. I try and play a 3-4 cover 2 zone so that the LB's drop into the slant zone, but that doesn't work that great. Out of a 4-3 base scheme, with a nickel package available, what play do you guys suggest to stop the dreaded slant?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Rookie

desertdevil88's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Stopping the Slant

My best advice would be to go into practice mode, set the offense up on a quick slants play, and fool around with the defense until you get a play that works. Off hand, I would think that spreading the LBs on a cover 2 would work.

Make some cash by betting for free at centsports.com!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Rookie

what he does then is as the corners stay in the flat he hits the wr before the lb gets to the coverage area. he's a real bastard.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

i got one. 4-4 cover 2. its the cover two play that is the only one on its sheet or the last play in the formation. the safety plays the middle and the cb's drop deep. play bump and run. dont let the linebackers move out on their man, keep them inside. the cb will actually jump the route unless its a slot reciever and then the olb will make a play. the cbs bump and then drop hard to the inside to get to there zone. they run inside with the wr and will jump the quick slant. ive never taken it into practice and run it over and over but if im playing a guy that is hitting slants i run this and have great success from my 10 in. i worry about running this when im outside of redzone because this cover two is weak against deep outs and corner routes. you can also show blitz on this and it will work and also i always move my dline with a spread and send them wide because you wont have help to the outside if the qb decides to run. when you spread them wide you will lose your inside run d so thats why i show blitz at times running this. go into practice and try it out. works in games for me to the point where its my basic redzone slant d.

one other thing is i run a 5-2 play where there is a heavy blitz from one side but the dline on that side or atleast the tackle and end drop into coverage. this has got me picks by the dend on this play against slants. maybe a cover 2 out of 4-3 and quick audible the dends to drop into zone. this might get him. there might be some plays already set up to do this. also maybe a mix zone man play where he reads wrong and you have a cb on himand zone backers. there are some good plays that do this out of the 3-3-5 in nickle.

good luck.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Rookie

bo jackson's Arena

Just step your game up and user pick him already.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo jackson
Winner!

Seriously though, practice mode is where you need to be as someone else here said.

Unless he has a genuine deep threat who can beat you in man coverage most plays, you should be able to shut down slant routes.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo jackson
This wont work because usually there are slants on both sides, he can just hit the other side.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
i got one. 4-4 cover 2. its the cover two play that is the only one on its sheet or the last play in the formation. the safety plays the middle and the cb's drop deep. play bump and run. dont let the linebackers move out on their man, keep them inside. the cb will actually jump the route unless its a slot reciever and then the olb will make a play. the cbs bump and then drop hard to the inside to get to there zone. they run inside with the wr and will jump the quick slant. ive never taken it into practice and run it over and over but if im playing a guy that is hitting slants i run this and have great success from my 10 in. i worry about running this when im outside of redzone because this cover two is weak against deep outs and corner routes. you can also show blitz on this and it will work and also i always move my dline with a spread and send them wide because you wont have help to the outside if the qb decides to run. when you spread them wide you will lose your inside run d so thats why i show blitz at times running this. go into practice and try it out. works in games for me to the point where its my basic redzone slant d.

one other thing is i run a 5-2 play where there is a heavy blitz from one side but the dline on that side or atleast the tackle and end drop into coverage. this has got me picks by the dend on this play against slants. maybe a cover 2 out of 4-3 and quick audible the dends to drop into zone. this might get him. there might be some plays already set up to do this. also maybe a mix zone man play where he reads wrong and you have a cb on himand zone backers. there are some good plays that do this out of the 3-3-5 in nickle.

good luck.
An interesting idea. My worry is that the 4-4 cover 2 leaves me vulnerable to the deeper patterns. He's got 2 speedy wideouts with 97+ speed, which are tough to cover. I'll definitely go into the practice mode and try out this and the other suggestions.

To the person who suggested I man up and do a user-pick, I only wish it were that simple. He pretty much throws to the opposite side of the field from wherever I'm roaming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »