Home

2009 Super 14 Rugby Thread

This is a discussion on 2009 Super 14 Rugby Thread within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
2009 Super 14 Rugby Thread

The Super 14 season starts this weekend, and with that said, I'd like to join a fantasy game to compliment my enjoyment in a sport that can be difficult to follow in the States.

It seems that there are two primary fantasy games, and I'm curious if anyone has any familiarity with either?

Test Rugby is the first (http://www.testrugby.com/s1409/) and FOX Sports is the second (http://s14fantasy.foxsports.com.au/M/home.mc).

If anyone is familiar with either game, or is looking to join one before the season starts, post here and I'll join you. Please write on your thoughts of either game as well.

Beyond that, my familiarity with the league is still developing. I am likely going to subscribe to Setanta so I can watch the games, but beyond that, I'd say coverage of the sport in America is strongly lacking.

With that said, this thread can be used to discuss the league as its season progresses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Pro

truckie16's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: 2009 Super 14 Rugby Thread

I don't know anything about fantasy rugby but I was thinnking of ordering Sentanta(?) for both the super 14 and 6 nations which started last weekend and runs into March.

On side note do you think we'll ever see a Rugby game for 360/PS3?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

I can only enter this thread if spoiler tags are in play. I watch EVERY SINGLE game of the Super 14 and don't get caught up with the season until about three weeks after it's over. I keep on the lower end games as background noise and watch all of the Waratahs and Reds games attentively.

GO WARATAHS!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie16
I don't know anything about fantasy rugby but I was thinnking of ordering Sentanta(?) for both the super 14 and 6 nations which started last weekend and runs into March.

On side note do you think we'll ever see a Rugby game for 360/PS3?
Setanta is expensive, but the only option for watching rugby on television for me. I am with DirecTV, and Setanta is $14.99 per month. They have a Sports Pack that is about the same price, but offers many more channels, including FOX regionals, GolTV, Fox Soccer Channel, and NBATV.

The Sports Pack is nice, but I find that it often features many channels I don't watch or have much interest in watching, whereas Setanta is just one channel, but hosts things I want to watch, like soccer and rugby.

Rugby is a pretty unique sport, and for me it continues to be an acquired taste. I enjoy it, but I am learning it as I watch. It takes some effort, as it's not a local sport and you can't really discuss it with many people in America, but it is fun to watch and I like how the Super 14 starts after the NFL season ends.

I often find myself watching recorded rugby games late at night (a result of games taking place across the globe) and dosing off, and I credit that to being tired, and not the game itself. That being said, I find I have to actively pay attention to watching the games more than I do American sports, as I'm not nearly as familiar with rugby as I am the sports played widely here.

EA Sports released rugby games for PS2, but I'm not sure if there are plans to bring them to the newer systems. I know there are rugby games overseas, as it's a pretty big deal in some countries, but in America its popularity seems to become next to non-existent beyond the collegiate level.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
MVP

rugbyzone is 99 dollars for a year and I've gotten used to paying it (I make an extra grand in February because I help with a play).

I'm watching all of todays games....LOVE THIS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
MVP

I've watched every game except for the Reds game and I have to say that this was the best opening week I've ever seen. GREAT matches, some amazing finishes and some really great tries.

Watch Waratahs/Hurricanes or Brumbies/Highlanders for some great action...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerowack
I've watched every game except for the Reds game and I have to say that this was the best opening week I've ever seen. GREAT matches, some amazing finishes and some really great tries.

Watch Waratahs/Hurricanes or Brumbies/Highlanders for some great action...
Have to agree. The quality of S14 rugby has increased so much in just in the last couple years.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 02-17-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
MVP

I watched the Reds game and wish I didn't. It's going to be a long year....

The best part about discovering Rugby 5 years ago is that I really didn't grow up with a team and I like 3 or 4 of them. 2 of them I prefer, but I can't say that I don't also pull for the Sharks and Hurricanes.

I love Rugby and the Super 14 is my favorite rugby to watch (even more than trinations, Lions tours or World Cup).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »