Home

What's Hot and What's Not With MLB 09: The Show

This is a discussion on What's Hot and What's Not With MLB 09: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
What's Hot and What's Not With MLB 09: The Show

Last week, I discussed some of the strengths and weaknesses of Visual Concepts’ Major League Baseball 2K9. This week, I will be turning my attention to the other baseball game being released on March 3rd, SCE San Diego’s MLB 09: The Show. In contrast to MLB 2K9, MLB 09: The Show is coming off of a stellar outing last year and is looking to improve upon its past efforts.

Much like MLB 2K9, MLB 09: The Show offers a very cinematic experience, and looks to be a very impressive game. However, not everything can be perfect in MLB 09’s video game baseball world. So with just days remaining until final retail copies of The Show reach OS HQ, here are some positives and negatives I have noticed in Sony’s latest baseball game.

Read More - What's Hot and What's Not With MLB 09: The Show
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: What's Hot and What's Not With MLB 09: The Show

Take the good with the bad...

I'll take the good. Still pretty bummed about the day lighting not being in, but if the community guys didn't notice it the game must have been that good!! Either that or they were sleeping on the job...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6
I am interested to know if the reviewer made these assessments through videos or gameplay. I know 2k9 was through video. For the fairness of the article, I hope he assessed the game through video.

As for me, I have already decided to buy a PS3 for my baseball fix. Too bad I will be a half a grand in the hole. ;(
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

The only thing I disagree with is "time for pitching and hitting to be updated".

There is more to it than simple button presses, and not game out there has the batter/pitcher interface this intense.

I also see no difference with sliding and analog versus a button. It still does the same thing in the end. And is still repetition.

I honestly dont know how you would have something feel like there is more user control without sacrificing to much of the quality, and/or making it feel too drawn out.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

I would seriously hate this game if they change the batter/pitcher interface to something gimmicky like 2k9

It's so perfect right now, smooth, and a lot deeper than it seems. It makes for better human vs. human duels when turning off the pitch location icon and strike zone
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

If the two "problems" with 09 are the pitching/throwing is outdated and there's no A ball, we're in good shape.. But I think we all knew we're in good shape anyways.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 60

Well, they did change the pitching this year. After you play it you will realize how much more realistic it is than last year. As far as new pitching......have no problem with an option for something new, but don't break what you've done SCEA.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I gotta say I am slightly disappointed about the 'static' day games, I didn't even know about it until yesterday when I was reading the boards. I assumed it had the same progressive lighting as night games.

One thing is for sure, I'm never gonna play a day-game exhibition.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »