Home

Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad?

This is a discussion on Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad?

I know what Ian previously said about it... and I have seen that monstrosity with all of those colors (which is likely a joke), but it got me thinking.

We want a sim game right? Well how is pocket awareness depicted in Madden with no vision cone? If vision cone were back...and a player decided to stare down a receiver on the right sideline while in the pocket, waiting for this guy to get open and he's holding on to the ball way to long...he's not going through his progression. He's now under pressure and he's trying to buy time but still looking towards the right side of the field and the user sees a man wide open on the left sideline and mashes the button to pass to this guy; you get one of those nasty turn, locate, fire all in one smooth animation and the ball is fired on point to said receiver on the left side all the while the QB never looked over there once.

How exaclty is that sim? If it's impossible to move the QBs vision cone over to that side and fire a pass off before getting sacked that's because you held onto the ball too long....THAT does happen on sundays.

But I can understand the argument of actually having a visual to decpict the QBs line of sight as being kind of "unsim."

Just my 2 cents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad?

If it's toggle(able) I wouldn't mind I never used it.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

oh for sure, I wouldn't want them to force it on folks who don't want to use it. But I think it makes the game a little bit more sim if the actual QB on the screen has to look at someone before passing it to him as opposed to the QB on the sticks.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 29

Exactly - I hated not being able to turn it off on All-Madden back in the day...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Yes, it would be that bad. NFL football games where fine before the vision cone, and they where fine without it. It just does not look good and it just doesn't seem SIM. I remember when it was first introduced me and my friends where like - what is this, is this for little kids or something, turn it off, it looks like the QB has headlights. Maybe have the option to turn it on, but I think it will be better to have it off by defualt. One of the things everyone has been stressing is SIM for Madden10, no weapons, no lead block, no extra stuff around players, just straight up football. I know some people like it, but when I'm playing and looking at the game I want to feel like I'm watching a real NFL game, thats what I loved about NFL2K5, you felt like you where watching a real game while playing. NO HEAD LIGHTS on the QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I always had mixed emotions about the QB cone and one of the problems I had was that you had to not only make your reads, but you also had to make your QB make your reads and that delay really messed me up. I also don't liek the idea of staring a reciver down. I try to watch the SS and Mike backer and decied what the coverage is to make my throws. Good QBs liek Manning and Brady read the D and bad QBs like Alex Smith and Rex Grossman stare recivers down. The game tries to show this by giving Manning and Brady super vision while giving Grossman and Smith tunnel vision. This was realistic, but as a player I know how to run my offense and if I were the head coach I would instruct and work with my QB teaching them how to read the D and not stare recivers down. When I play the game I hate having to read the D, then hold RT/R2 and press the reciver's button and wait for the cone to move [which may take too long and he isn't open anymore] to make a pass.

This is a fine line. I agree that players in your example drive me nuts, but why should players who understand thier reads be punished by a sluggish cone? I know that in cover 2 man under my slant will be open and that against a cover 2 zone under that my post will be open and that against a cover 4 my flats route will be open. But in each exampel I have ot make my QB know that too and wait. *sigh*
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Yes, it would be that bad. NFL football games where fine before the vision cone, and they where fine without it. It just does not look good and it just doesn't seem SIM. I remember when it was first introduced me and my friends where like - what is this, is this for little kids or something, turn it off, it looks like the QB has headlights. Maybe have the option to turn it on, but I think it will be better to have it off by defualt. One of the things everyone has been stressing is SIM for Madden10, no weapons, no lead block, no extra stuff around players, just straight up football. I know some people like it, but when I'm playing and looking at the game I want to feel like I'm watching a real NFL game, thats what I loved about NFL2K5, you felt like you where watching a real game while playing. NO HEAD LIGHTS on the QB.
as long as they make passes to guys that are clearly out of the QB's line of sight realistically inaccurate then I'm cool with there not being a cone on the field. But if I'm collapsing the left side of the pocket and the QB starts stepping right while looking right I don't want to see any wild passes to the left sideline that are right at the dude like the QBs peripheral vision extends all the way around his head.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

P.S. the cone looked ugly and I agree with Ian that we should get back to "just football."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »