Home

The 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

This is a discussion on The 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
The 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Ladies () and gentlemen, the NHL Playoffs are set to begin one week from today. I know it refers to another sport, but I feel compelled to share this clip:

With only a few days of games remaining -- Sunday is the final day or regular season play I believe -- the following teams are officially in (seeding is not final):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston
Washington
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Carolina
Pittsburgh

WESTERN CONFERENCE

San Jose
Detroit
Calgary
Chicago
Vancouver

Columbus has all but clinched as they need only a single point to do formally do so -- they would have to lose all three of their remaining games in regulation while Nashville winning it's final two. This scenario would see the Preds edge out the Jackets by the total wins tie-breaker. If this comes to pass, OSU can thank me for the [unintentional] jinx...

As for the bubble teams:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

7. Montreal ---- 92P -- 41W -- 2GR
8. NY Rangers -- 91P -- 41W -- 2GR
9. Florida ------ 89P -- 39W -- 2GR
10. Buffalo ----- 85P -- 38W -- 3GR

WESTERN CONFERENCE

6. Columbus --- 90P -- 40W -- 3GR
7. Anaheim ---- 88P -- 41W -- 2GR
8. St. Louis ---- 88P -- 39W -- 2GR
9. Nashville ---- 86P --39W -- 2GR
10. Minnesota - 85P -- 38W -- 2GR

I know it's a tad early, but I'm just too excited to hold back. Puck Daddy is tracking the races using a "tragic number" stat, which makes for some more detailed reading. You can also follow the races in chart format at www.nhlplayoffrace.com. Let the fun begin!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: The 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

I'm partial to the Bruins myself. I have followed them since I was a young kid. I don't remember this much excitement around Boston...The TD Banknorth Arena is filling up, and the Bruins are holding their own. I really hope they can get the cup. Especially since I moved back into the northeast before hockey season started and I watched nearly every game on Nesn this year....If B's don't win I will just want a strong playoffs as I LOVE HOCKEY and LOVE PLAYOFF TIME
Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 15

Playoffs is the best time for Hockey.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Yup, the NHL playoffs are by far the best playoffs from Game 1 until the final game of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I was very happy to see Philadelphia clinch a spot yesterday with a win over Florida. I just hope we can hold on to that #4 seed so we can have home ice advantage over (likely) Carolina or Pittsburgh. It'll be big.

I feel like the East is going to stay as is. That'll be great from a Flyers fans point of view; PIT and NJ battling it out in the first round. I like the Flyers chances against the Hurricanes better then Pittsburgh. Not saying the Canes are bad at all (clearly not -- we're tied in points) but I know a series against Pittsburgh, especially early on, will be a deathmatch and I'd like to avoid it until absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 24

I'm praying that Montreal stays in the 7 seed. The Caps are not playing awesome right now (not bad, but they're getting by on talent, not hard work) and Montreal just lost their two best defenseman. They're far from a cakewalk but I'd rather face Price and Montreal than Lundqvist and NY or any of Philly/Canes/Pens.

I hope Carolina/Philly/Pittsburgh ends up playing each other in round one so that one of the hotter teams gets eliminated early, hopefully in seven games, with overtimes in each.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I'm praying that Montreal stays in the 7 seed. The Caps are not playing awesome right now (not bad, but they're getting by on talent, not hard work) and Montreal just lost their two best defenseman. They're far from a cakewalk but I'd rather face Price and Montreal than Lundqvist and NY or any of Philly/Canes/Pens.

I hope Carolina/Philly/Pittsburgh ends up playing each other in round one so that one of the hotter teams gets eliminated early, hopefully in seven games, with overtimes in each.
I think the Capitals are in for a pretty special playoff run. Last year was good seasoning for them, especially as emotional as that series was against Philly. They'll be set now... as long as Theodore shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I think the Capitals are in for a pretty special playoff run. Last year was good seasoning for them, especially as emotional as that series was against Philly. They'll be set now... as long as Theodore shows up.
The Caps love playing in big games (see their record vs. Boston, NJ, Pitt, and to a lesser extent Philly), but their goaltending is obviously iffy (when Theodore is on, he's fantastic) and their defense is soft and terrible.

My optimism stems from a couple reasons:

1)It's essentially last year's team, minus Huet, who wasn't that great in the Philly series anyways.
2) The team has much more experience and is healthier going in (no nagging injury to Ovechkin, Green, and others)
3) Players like Fleischmann and Fehr have been huge players this year and Green is a better overall defenseman.
4) We're not worn down from being forced to win 15 of the last 17 games.

If we don't win round 1 it's a failure, so as long as we do that I'm happy, because next year we can be a much better overall team. The Caps' future is freakin bright as hell (in his first season in North America, our 20-year old goaltender prospect is 4-0-1 in the NHL with like a 2.10 GAA and our best defenseman prospects are on the verge) so I'm pretty excited, the team just has to win one freakin' series this year. I think they can do a lot more damage, it just depends on how Theodore plays (he's been solid since Christmas) and which defense shows up.

If Poti can be as good as he was early on, if Schultz can become a tiny bit more physical, if Green can be smart, if Morrisonn keeps hitting, if Jurcina is consistent, and if Pothier can be stable, we COULD be in for a deep run.

A lot of ifs, though.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 47

The caps D is the biggest ? But I like them. There are going to be some great rounds too. A lot of teams are playing good hockey right now. So it we be a blast to watch!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »