Home

WHICH VERSION of 2K Hockey do YOU feel was the GREATEST?

This is a discussion on WHICH VERSION of 2K Hockey do YOU feel was the GREATEST? within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
WHICH VERSION of 2K Hockey do YOU feel was the GREATEST?

Out of curiosity, I would like to know WHICH version of 2K Hockey ( from this Gen or Last Gen) and also state briefly WHY

I've played alot of version of NHL 2K hockey and I find 2K9 to be just mediocre....but I am torn between all of the previous versions to decided which I felt was their best hockey game.

I think this could be a very interesting and enlightening discussion.

After we discuss, I may just dust off that particular version and load it into my console to play again and see if I agree

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: WHICH VERSION of 2K Hockey do YOU feel was the GREATEST?

Hands-down, NHL2K3 .
Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Banned

Please share your thoughts why....I just loaded up 2K3 and 2K5 on the Xbox and found advantages to both games. I wasnt clear on which one I felt was superior. I thought 2K3 had unrealistically super goalies that lacked variety in the types of saves they made and the types of goals they let up.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 22

NHL2k5 easily, it had good PBP, awesome gfx, great presentation and more forgiving goalies than 2k3, aiming that worked (unlike 2k3).

2k5 delivered a total package, thatīs what 2k10 needs too. 2k10 needs classy models and textures, good PBP, great presentation and immersion, besides good gameplay. And the movement and stickhandling needs to be smooth.

Total package is the only way, showing promise ainīt enough anymore.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

For me it was 2k5. At the time, it had a great mix of gameplay, graphics, and the ESPN presentation really put the game over the top for me. Throw in Finn's editor and I played that game constantly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge
Please share your thoughts why....I just loaded up 2K3 and 2K5 on the Xbox and found advantages to both games. I wasnt clear on which one I felt was superior. I thought 2K3 had unrealistically super goalies that lacked variety in the types of saves they made and the types of goals they let up.
Play the PS2 version. No super-goalies, the CPU offensive AI was fantastic and it was genuinely tough getting through the neutral zone.
To me, that's why I preferred 2K3 to 2K5. In 2K5, I could let the CPU have one breakaway after another, or oddman rushes all day. It could barely score.
That wasn't the case with 2K3. Sure, it had it's flaws (the biggest being the fact you couldn't truly hit the top corners), but all the good that was in the game made up for it.

I still remember how I had to go out of town for 3 weeks. When I got back I fired up my Dynasty and played against the Avs in my first game back. I got doused 9-2 because I was very rusty on my defense and offensive breakouts. I could barely get through the neutral zone and every time I made a mistake in my end, the Avs buried me.
In not one of the 9 goals scored against me did I feel cheated. They were all earned.

I never got that feeling with 2K5. Sure the controls, presentation, goalies might have been better in some regard, but the CPU AI was light-years behind 2K3's.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Pro

TSOLEliot's Arena

OVR: 12

2K5 was great...after that it went down hill...

My second pick is 2K8 which isn't that bad the gameplay isn't quite as fun- games seem to drag no matter what setting and of course it has a few roster bugs.

The gameplay in 2K5 was solid with little slider tweaking, it has wonderful customization in franchise mode, and the ESPN presentation was a lot of fun. Every once in a while I like playing 2K5 with a few of the various rosters out there such as the 1979 season as well as historic rosters.

Graphics are definitely behind the times but back then it was great.

NFL- Eagles
NHL- Flyers
NCAA- Fresno State
Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Banned

wow I see votes for BOTH 2K5 and 2K3.....Im going to have to play them both some more now

I just cannot get into 2K9....the gameplay is a mess....the animations are just too fast and robotic and I am not seeing the differences and variety in play styles from team to team and player to player....is it just me or is 2K9 a mess?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »