Home

HDMI Handshake Issue

This is a discussion on HDMI Handshake Issue within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13
HDMI Handshake Issue

Wondering if any of you guys could help me out.

A couple months ago,I was having a problem where my Sharp Aquos would reset multiple times while playing PS3 hooked up via HDMI. After several resets the TV would permanently shut off and stay off and blink the lights on the front. After waiting an hour or so I'd be able to get it back on.

I called Sharp and they sent a repair guy, couldn't find anything wrong, for some reason the PS3 wouldn't cause the problem while he was there, but for my peace of mind he replaced the entire back board of the TV.

A few months later, every time I load a PS3 game and the TVs resolution switches from 1080i to 720p for the game, the TV resets quickly, but then displays the game. However today, it's continuing to do what it was doing a few months ago. It keeps resetting 3 times until the lights on the front blink, but I can power the TV back on right away. I even changed it so my PS3 uses 720p resolution all the time, even before any games are loaded.

For instance, I tried playing the Killzone demo. The game loads, it lets me pick the language, and once I go to select new game, this happens.

I've tried different HDMI cables, and the same thing happens. I tried the PS3 on a different TV and its fine. The repair company claims it cant be the TV since they replaced the entire back, including where the HDMI ports are.

Any ideas? I'm debating whether or not to even spend money on the PS3 component cables, being afraid the same thing might happen.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: HDMI Handshake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
Wondering if any of you guys could help me out.

A couple months ago,I was having a problem where my Sharp Aquos would reset multiple times while playing PS3 hooked up via HDMI. After several resets the TV would permanently shut off and stay off and blink the lights on the front. After waiting an hour or so I'd be able to get it back on.

I called Sharp and they sent a repair guy, couldn't find anything wrong, for some reason the PS3 wouldn't cause the problem while he was there, but for my peace of mind he replaced the entire back board of the TV.

A few months later, every time I load a PS3 game and the TVs resolution switches from 1080i to 720p for the game, the TV resets quickly, but then displays the game. However today, it's continuing to do what it was doing a few months ago. It keeps resetting 3 times until the lights on the front blink, but I can power the TV back on right away. I even changed it so my PS3 uses 720p resolution all the time, even before any games are loaded.

For instance, I tried playing the Killzone demo. The game loads, it lets me pick the language, and once I go to select new game, this happens.

I've tried different HDMI cables, and the same thing happens. I tried the PS3 on a different TV and its fine. The repair company claims it cant be the TV since they replaced the entire back, including where the HDMI ports are.

Any ideas? I'm debating whether or not to even spend money on the PS3 component cables, being afraid the same thing might happen.
Is your tv still under warranty? They can't just replace the whole tv? You shouldn't have to settle for component cables if your tv has HDMI input slots.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Is your tv still under warranty? They can't just replace the whole tv? You shouldn't have to settle for component cables if your tv has HDMI input slots.
When they "repaired" it a few months ago it was nearing the end of its warranty. He replaced the whole back of the TV. I'm reading its possible that the TV (which I bought November of 07) may have firmware that is outdated for the newer PS3 games, because the HDMI handshake is basically a confirmation between TV and device that uncopyrighted material isn't being used.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
When they "repaired" it a few months ago it was nearing the end of its warranty. He replaced the whole back of the TV. I'm reading its possible that the TV (which I bought November of 07) may have firmware that is outdated for the newer PS3 games, because the HDMI handshake is basically a confirmation between TV and device that uncopyrighted material isn't being used.
Gotcha. You can always give component cables a try. You shouldn't see a noticeable drop in picture quality. HDMI simply allows you to have digital video and audio in one cable. The obvious downside would be if you're wanting lossless audio b/c HDMI is required for that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »