Home

So we just draft rookies based on their potential number?

This is a discussion on So we just draft rookies based on their potential number? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
So we just draft rookies based on their potential number?

So instead of looking at his other attributes, we basically just look at who has the highest potential and draft them? That kinda sucks because it takes away from the scouting process.

Honestly, if you had to choose between a guy who is 77OVR with potential of 85 OVR or a guy who is 60 OVR with a potential of 99 OVR I think all of us are going to be getting the guy with the 99 OVR potential right?

So when you guys are drafting in franchise, are you just looking for whoever has the highest potential number?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: So we just draft rookies based on their potential number?

The point is that you don't know his potential until AFTER you draft them.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch0ne
So instead of looking at his other attributes, we basically just look at who has the highest potential and draft them? That kinda sucks because it takes away from the scouting process.

Honestly, if you had to choose between a guy who is 77OVR with potential of 85 OVR or a guy who is 60 OVR with a potential of 99 OVR I think all of us are going to be getting the guy with the 99 OVR potential right?

So when you guys are drafting in franchise, are you just looking for whoever has the highest potential number?
In response to your particular question I will ask you. Isn't that the way it's done for the most part in actual sports anyways?

Also, I could be wrong but the only way you can recieve the potential number for players your scouting is to scout them mutiple times, correct?

You won't know the "potential" rating of every player in the draft right? Just those you scout.

I believe I read somewhere as well that there will be hand crafted players who have high ready to play right away ratings as well as high potential ratings. Guys who will make an immediate impact for your team the very next season.

For anyone who knows. Just because a players potential rating is high doesn't automatically mean he will reach his full potential during the players career, right?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ion-works.html

read up. Adembroski is the man...he posted a ton of stuff and had a great insight on how progression works. Turned me from a skeptic to a believer.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ion-works.html

read up. Adembroski is the man...he posted a ton of stuff and had a great insight on how progression works. Turned me from a skeptic to a believer.
Turf, thanks for the link to that thread. It was an interesting read.

After reading it I realized just how much fun it's going to be scouting in Madden this year.

I just hope it takes multiple weeks of scouting a player to get the real inside scoop of what that player is going to truly become.

I remember reading about the scouting of Brady a while back and the Patriots were about the only team to put alot of scouting time into Brady. Sure, other teams took a peak but utimately it was the Patriots who knew the most about him.

Like I said I hope it takes putting forth alot of scouting time to reveal the true potential of what a player might end up. I'll have to ask myself when the time comes whether I'll put alot of time into scouting players projected 6th or 7th rounds or just a little scouting time.

I know in the past I've put very little time into scouting projected late round picks. Didn't really think it was necessary, I just drafted for need in the lower rounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by probowlsteelerfan
Turf, thanks for the link to that thread. It was an interesting read.

After reading it I realized just how much fun it's going to be scouting in Madden this year.

I just hope it takes multiple weeks of scouting a player to get the real inside scoop of what that player is going to truly become.

I remember reading about the scouting of Brady a while back and the Patriots were about the only team to put alot of scouting time into Brady. Sure, other teams took a peak but utimately it was the Patriots who knew the most about him.

Like I said I hope it takes putting forth alot of scouting time to reveal the true potential of what a player might end up. I'll have to ask myself when the time comes whether I'll put alot of time into scouting players projected 6th or 7th rounds or just a little scouting time.

I know in the past I've put very little time into scouting projected late round picks. Didn't really think it was necessary, I just drafted for need in the lower rounds.
no problem Probowl,

I'm excited for the new scouting system too. It's going to add so much more depth to franchise mode and take me further into it then I have in the past. Drafting rookies and building a team is real important in the NFL and if Madden 10 recreates a similar level then we all are going to be happy. Plus, I think this year is only a drop in the bucket to what we should expect in coming years. They're laying the foundation now and it's going to be built upon. Next big addition, IMO, is expanded rosters with cuts. That will give the user the feeling of building a team and having to make tough choices on cutting players. We have a lot to look forward to.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

The only thing I really need to see to be happy with the "potential feature" is that just because a player has high potential, doesn't mean he'll actually pan out to be that good.

Say if he runs into a stretch of injuries will his potential rating go down?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerlad777
The only thing I really need to see to be happy with the "potential feature" is that just because a player has high potential, doesn't mean he'll actually pan out to be that good.

Say if he runs into a stretch of injuries will his potential rating go down?
His potential grade won't go down. He'll just never reach is potential.

Like you could draft a dude in the 6th round who has the potential of A+ (99) who's incoming overall is 50. He may never break 60 in his whole career but his potential will be 99.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »