Home

Post-Fight Antics Dim Lesnar’s Afterglow at UFC 100

This is a discussion on Post-Fight Antics Dim Lesnar’s Afterglow at UFC 100 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Post-Fight Antics Dim Lesnar’s Afterglow at UFC 100

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/pos...-ufc-100-18481

On a night when he stood alone atop the UFC heavyweight division, Brock Lesnar’s behavior -- not his destructive, one-sided victory against Frank Mir -- was the subject of post-fight discussion on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Lesnar unified the heavyweight championship in only his fifth professional appearance, as he bullied his way to a technical knockout against Mir -- the only man to defeat him -- in the UFC 100 main event. His tirade afterward -- which included a low blow to the UFC’s primary sponsor, Bud Light, waving his middle fingers at the audience, taunting Mir and exposing plans for a post-fight sex romp with his wife -- drew the ire of UFC President Dana White.

The 32-year-old Lesnar claimed he was headed out to drink a Coors Light because Bud Light would not pay him any money. One of the UFC’s highest-paid fighters, he made $450,000 in disclosed pay for his TKO victory against hall of famer Randy Couture at UFC 91 in November.

“I was blown away,” White said. “I don’t think in the history of the UFC we’ve had anybody do that. It’s not who we are, and, to be honest, it’s not who he is. You hang with these guys personally, and you get to know them. If he was a dick, I’d tell you right now this guy is a psycho and I don’t know what I’m going to do with him. He’s not. He’s a smart guy. The sponsorship thing was the craziest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.”

Lesnar’s antics drudged up memories of his days as a World Wrestling Entertainment superstar, when showboating and pushing the envelope of taste were encouraged and profitable. White claimed he confronted the apologetic champion in his dressing room after he left the Octagon.

“Brock went so far over the top, I can’t even put it into words,” White said. “WWE -- that’s what it is. We had a talk. We talked like men, and he said he was sorry. He said, ‘I’m embarrassed by what I said.’ I take his word for it this time.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Post-Fight Antics Dim Lesnar’s Afterglow at UFC 100

I was JUST coming here to post this in the UFC 100 forum.

I think it says something when DANA WHITE doesn't like what happened. And he said it well... that's WWE stuff.

I like Lesnar in the octogon. The man is a BEAST, and it's going to be fun to see if Dana White and Joe Silva can find anyone to beat... scratch that... if they can find anyone to COMPETE with him over the next few years. He's just something else... it's like he's not human.

But that stuff he pulled afterward is a black-eye on the sport. Takes away so much credibility and gives people plenty of reason to compare it to WWE... and I hate that.

MMA is honestly one of the greatest sports on Earth. And I hate individual sports... I hate tennis, golf, all that stuff. I'm a team sports guy. But MMA has so much going for it... it's so pure in terms of the competition (maybe only a foot race is more pure than fighting) and it's so tough and requires so much athleticism and discipline. But when Brock does that, it just tarnishes an already shaky (and unnecessary) reputation.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 17

Who cares if he dissed Bud Light? These beer companies, just like tobacco companies, peddle addiction and death with their products. They target the young, immature demograghic that embraces binge drinking as a part of its lifestyle. And on top of that, only in the loosest sense of the word do Budweiser products even qualify as beer (same is true of Coors or any American pilsner companies). It's Beer For Dummies. Swill for the masses.

Of course, all that other stuff is fair game in my book. But don't kid yourself, the only thing Dana White cares about is "asses every 18 inches" and pay per view numbers. Brock Lesnar brings that. Given UFC's popularity I highly doubt he'd have any trouble rounding up other sponsors if Budweiser pulled out (which it won't). He's not out for "the integrity of the sport". He's just a white Don King at best.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Dana only cares about what he said about Bud Light. Take that away and he would have loved Lesnar's "promo".
Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Dana only cares about what he said about Bud Light. Take that away and he would have loved Lesnar's "promo".
Pretty much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 16

I thought it was great. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate if even a quarter of the fighters were like that, but they're not. Lesnar stands alone on supreme ******* mountain. The only people the UFC lost as a result of that interview were the ignorant and prejudicial, people that were just looking for an excuse to dismiss the UFC and MMA.

But Lesnar's antics gained a lot of casual MMA fans and pro wrestling fans, and that matters a lot more. In other words, he gained people that would watch the fights, and lost people that wouldn't. I find it tough to be too upset about that as a fan of the sport and as a fan of the sport growing.

Again, don't get me wrong, if this sort of stuff caught on I'd have an issue. But for their to be one guy to embrace the over-the-hope heel role, to polarize people and to get everyone talking the next day, fine.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 16

I do find it funny that White was so offended, but you know it was only about the money aspect with the Bud Light sponsorship. I personally loved that line from Brock.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Exactly.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »