Home

Dirt 2 Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on Dirt 2 Demo Impressions within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
Dirt 2 Demo Impressions

It's up on XBox Live.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Dirt 2 Demo Impressions

I tried to download this but it said I had to be an XBox Gold member. Will there be a time where silver members may download it as well?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

The physics and handling are better. Didn't notice the feeling of a central pivot (that and the floaty handling killed a purchase of the original for me). There's more weight and momentum. I was getting into some huge slides without having to rely on the handbrake. It still could be better, but it's a nice improvement over the first game. Lighting is phenomenal and the menus are incredibly slick. This might be a purchase.

Last edited by Flawless; 08-20-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Awesome game. One of the best racers I've played, and I've played them all.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: Dirt 2 Demo Impressions

I managed to play a little of the DiRT 2 demo yesterday. Played both events, but I want to make some observations while playing the Trailblazer event racing in the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT.

The handling in DiRT 2 to me seems like a cross between SEGA Rally 2 and Colin McRae Rally 05. What I mean is that this game on the surface represents "arcadish" (is that a word? Eh, who cares) style of play which makes the game accessible to a casual players, but also includes some simulation elements within for more serious players who enjoy rally racing and want to master the controls and other intricacies of the game.

For an example, sustaining drifts through countersteering in DiRT 2 is very forgiving in a sense that it's easy to maintain a large drift angle without spinning the car around. Yet in order to achieve the fastest possible lap/race times (specifically the times achieved on Extreme and Hardcore difficulty levels), a user will have to drive more sim-like, which means keeping tight lines inside without hitting walls/barriers/trackside objects on kinks, hit the apex on every high-speed and medium-speed bend while limiting drifts to the smallest possible angle when navigating around them, master the Scandinavian Flick technique, plus master the use of the handbrake to quickly whip the tail of the car around to negotiate tight hairpins.

Love the puddle-splash-on-windshield effects. Looks cool and it definitely hinders visibility for a couple seconds.

My only big gripes about this game is the lack of pace notes and some kind of co-driver or assistant who call out the kinks and degree of bends (high speed, hairpin, etc.), road hazards and other stuff (crest, tree, boulder, ditch, etc.) just ahead on the road that the driver is about to encounter while racing on the rally course. In my opinion DiRT 2 cannot hope to be a top-quality rally racing game without these things. But maybe these things will be in the full game and it's just this demo which is lacking them. Regardless, I hope this part of the game is being addressed as it's important to have these things when it comes to rally racing. And I really want to use the Fanatec wheel on this game once I get this game. Hopefully this wheel is supported.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 08-21-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
I managed to play a little of the DiRT 2 demo yesterday. Played both events, but I want to make some observations while playing the Trailblazer event racing in the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT.

The handling in DiRT 2 to me seems like a cross between SEGA Rally 2 and Colin McRae Rally 05. What I mean is that this game on the surface represents "arcadish" (is that a word? Eh, who cares) style of play which makes the game accessible to a casual players, but also includes some simulation elements within for more serious players who enjoy rally racing and want to master the controls and other intricacies of the game.

For an example, sustaining drifts through countersteering in DiRT 2 is very forgiving in a sense that it's easy to maintain a large drift angle without spinning the car around. Yet in order to achieve the fastest possible lap/race times (specifically the times achieved on Extreme and Hardcore difficulty levels), a user will have to drive more sim-like, which means keeping tight lines inside without hitting walls/barriers/trackside objects on kinks, hit the apex on every high-speed and medium-speed bend while limiting drifts to the smallest possible angle when navigating around them, master the Scandinavian Flick technique, plus master the use of the handbrake to quickly whip the tail of the car around to negotiate tight hairpins.

Love the puddle-splash-on-windshield effects. Looks cool and it definitely hinders visibility for a couple seconds.

My only big gripes about this game is the lack of pace notes and some kind of co-driver or assistant who call out the kinks and degree of bends (high speed, hairpin, etc.), road hazards and other stuff (crest, tree, boulder, ditch, etc.) just ahead on the road that the driver is about to encounter while racing on the rally course. In my opinion DiRT 2 cannot hope to be a top-quality rally racing game without these things. But maybe these things will be in the full game and it's just this demo which is lacking them. Regardless, I hope this part of the game is being addressed as it's important to have these things when it comes to rally racing. And I really want to use the Fanatec wheel on this game once I get this game. Hopefully this wheel is supported.

Kruza
I dont understand the puddle splash's, all I see is when I'm in the driver seat is when going through water it just sprays white around the winshield, where do you get puddle splash's on winshield? I have set view to driver view and I see nothing on windshield even going through water, etc. XBox 360 demo
Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I must be a total moron, I cannot for the life of me find the Dirt 2 demo on PSN. Can anyone help me out and tell me exactly where they found it? I know it is up on XBL and is supposed to be up on PSN also????

Thanks!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiore
I must be a total moron, I cannot for the life of me find the Dirt 2 demo on PSN. Can anyone help me out and tell me exactly where they found it? I know it is up on XBL and is supposed to be up on PSN also????

Thanks!!!
For some reason it's only up on the Euro PSN Store, probably going to have until next Thursday for it to hit the U.S. PSN Store.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »