Home

(Wii) 2K10 at NHL Store

This is a discussion on (Wii) 2K10 at NHL Store within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
(Wii) 2K10 at NHL Store

Hey all,

Played a bit of Wii NHL 2K10 at the NHL Store today on my lunch break.

Very smooth, even on the Wii. Feels like the NHL2K of old. Good pace. Of course the graphics are sparse on the crowds and player models, but the gameplay feels great.

My only major gripe in the 5 minutes I played was the flicking up to shoot. Feels very unnatural.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: (Wii) 2K10 at NHL Store

Thank you for your impressions, tinpanalley! Nice to hear someone finally got their hands on the game...

...damn, it's the Wii version? They put the Wii version out on display at their "exclusive" locations? Great, I was totally expecting this from 2K...no love for their next-gen title at all this year.

Good to hear that the game pace has improved and such and feels like an improvement (which is what many people around here want to hear)...but at least the guys going to 2K in Novato will be able to give us impressions of the next-gen version. OS'ers aren't too crazy about the Wii version.

By the way, did the game sound all right to you or was the sound muddy like 2K9? That's one of the main reasons why I didn't bother keeping the Wii version last year, since the audio quality made it seem like you were playing out of broken, tinny HDTV speakers (even when playing on a 5.1 surround system!).

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 09-04-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

Hey all, as far as the sound goes, it was very hard to tell. if you've never been in the NHL store, the ambient noise in there is very cavernous. You've got the XM station broadcasting live from above the sales floor in a little booth that's beaming out the audio from speakers, you've got any number of televisions on with documentaries or games playing, and the actual acoustics in the place are, well, like I said, cavernous. Trying to hear the TV in front of you that's molded into a wooden panel while a guy standing next to you at the the other station is mocking his buddy as they play a game together, trying oh so desperately and pathetically to sound like Vince Vaughan's character in Swingers as he crushes his friend with goal after goal... is difficult.

But as a Wii game, I haven't played many other sports games that felt this good and immersive. If of course, like me, graphics aren't as important to you in a sports title as gameplay. I'll review 2K10 when it officially releases. Maybe on the 360 as well to compare.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
Hey all, as far as the sound goes, it was very hard to tell. if you've never been in the NHL store, the ambient noise in there is very cavernous. You've got the XM station broadcasting live from above the sales floor in a little booth that's beaming out the audio from speakers, you've got any number of televisions on with documentaries or games playing, and the actual acoustics in the place are, well, like I said, cavernous. Trying to hear the TV in front of you that's molded into a wooden panel while a guy standing next to you at the the other station is mocking his buddy as they play a game together, trying oh so desperately and pathetically to sound like Vince Vaughan's character in Swingers as he crushes his friend with goal after goal... is difficult.

But as a Wii game, I haven't played many other sports games that felt this good and immersive. If of course, like me, graphics aren't as important to you in a sports title as gameplay. I'll review 2K10 when it officially releases. Maybe on the 360 as well to compare.
Sounds great, bro. Despite the graphics on the Wii version for 2k9, I thought it played a much better game of hockey than the 360 version and actually one of the better hockey titles I've played in recent years. Good to hear they improved upon that. I'd really like to see more gameplay vid of the Wii version to see what they've done to it.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Glad to here some good praises from a non-bias person who got to play it in person. I plan on getting the Wii version the day of, and I will write a review aswell for those holding out before they get it.

Someone has to be the one to test it and recommend or not recommend it to others.

7 MORE DAYS, can't wait also same day the Penguins pre-season starts. I'll be listening to it while playing the game... (Since it wont be on TV anyway)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
2K Sports Producer

OVR: 8

Quote:
My only major gripe in the 5 minutes I played was the flicking up to shoot. Feels very unnatural.
You SHOULD be able to shoot just fine by flicking down.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Hey all,

Very smooth, even on the Wii. Feels like the NHL2K of old. Good pace. Of course the graphics are sparse on the crowds and player models, but the gameplay feels great.
Thanks for posting this info! How was the framerate during gameplay? I'd read that it was improved from the '09 version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »