Home

PES 2010 Console Impressions

This is a discussion on PES 2010 Console Impressions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
PES 2010 Console Impressions

Hello everyone,

For those of you who have the console version of PES 2010 can you start posting impressions for the rest of us who are still deciding on whether or not to buy the game. It is coming out on Nov 3rd here, therefore your impressions are important. Also, I have played FIFA and understand how the game plays, so if you have played both games it might be helpful to compare the two in a constructive way. Inevitably most of us who follow these soccer forums will be purchasing a game if we haven't already and it would be best to seek out the help of those who have played the game in question prior to making a 60 dollar purchase.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Treble Complete

billmatic's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: PES 2010 Console Impressions

Some random thoughts...

- Game speed could probably still stand to be toned down a notch. Most players don't move all that fast, but the short passes are a bit pinball-like.

- You can't dribble through the entire defense with an average player with ease anymore. The good old 90 degree turn isn't the fool proof move it was last year. The defenders will back off you and pressure you when you get closer to the goal, and they don't take the same ******** angles anymore.

- Overall, the responsiveness of the controls are dependent on who you're controlling. With Messi, you can change direction with ease, but trying the same thing with some defender will result in giving the ball away. After playing with Inter a lot, I find myself making marauding runs with Maicon and Eto'o, but can't do the same thing with Milito or Stankovic for example.

- New penalty system. The old system just seemed more random than anything else. With this system, you actually have some control, it just takes going into practice mode and getting used to. Basically how long you hold the shoot button determines height, and how long you hold the d-pad determines direction. It's realistic in the sense that if you decide to go high, it's much riskier.

- ML mode is changed for the first time in forever. You can't see growth curves anymore. You can't see the stats of players who aren't on your team until you scout them. Transfers are tougher, and usually require a couple weeks of negotiation before you hear back. Players also get pissy if you don't play them enough, or play them too much. Not sure yet what impact that really has. You get income from sponsorships, wins, fan club revenues, etc.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Rookie

richie923's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmatic
Some random thoughts...

- Game speed could probably still stand to be toned down a notch. Most players don't move all that fast, but the short passes are a bit pinball-like.

- You can't dribble through the entire defense with an average player with ease anymore. The good old 90 degree turn isn't the fool proof move it was last year. The defenders will back off you and pressure you when you get closer to the goal, and they don't take the same ******** angles anymore.

- Overall, the responsiveness of the controls are dependent on who you're controlling. With Messi, you can change direction with ease, but trying the same thing with some defender will result in giving the ball away. After playing with Inter a lot, I find myself making marauding runs with Maicon and Eto'o, but can't do the same thing with Milito or Stankovic for example.

- New penalty system. The old system just seemed more random than anything else. With this system, you actually have some control, it just takes going into practice mode and getting used to. Basically how long you hold the shoot button determines height, and how long you hold the d-pad determines direction. It's realistic in the sense that if you decide to go high, it's much riskier.

- ML mode is changed for the first time in forever. You can't see growth curves anymore. You can't see the stats of players who aren't on your team until you scout them. Transfers are tougher, and usually require a couple weeks of negotiation before you hear back. Players also get pissy if you don't play them enough, or play them too much. Not sure yet what impact that really has. You get income from sponsorships, wins, fan club revenues, etc.
Would you recommend this game? I thinking about buying it Tuesday.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 17

ML hasn't really changed. It just has more stuff.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Liking the more I play. Figured out a way to draw fouls, forgot about the R1 to hold the ball control. Having my teammates chase is also allowing me to commit more fouls as well. Still not enough, but such is life.

Now I just need an option file with Serie B or Championship teams. The latter is coming once Konami gets their *** in gear and gets the update out. Not too hopeful on the former though.

Not even sure how hard it is to update the teams. I know it is hard work, but do you need some type of PC editor to do the kits and faces or can you do them from the console?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

game is slowed down from last year and basically the same as the demo. Everything is good.....cpu attacks well uses variety of attacks.goalkeepers are improved, etc.

One big concern however is the ease to get off longshots against the cpu. I've scored 2 identical goals in the past 10 mins of play. It was a 2 on 4 and ALL 4 d-men just retreated inside the box and let me have a free shot at the net.

This is pretty bad, but other than this game is solid. Maybe we can edit team strategy to better the situation.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

My damn disc is no good (xbox 360 version ). Try to install to the hardrive and it get a disc read error at around 45%. tried to just play off the disc and it just gives me a black screen with the loading stars. bull****
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

After playing a handful of games, here are my impressions:

*My first game was Bordeaux(me) vs. Marseille(cpu) and all I can say is I was giggling like a school girl just from the first splash of gameplay. I couldn't contain my enjoyment.

* The CPU play is just...wow. Your AI teammates on offense will make intelligent runs when they see space. You have to sometimes thread the needle with a through pass or lob through pass and hope for the best. Because your forward will speed up for that pass. But the CPU marks well and will take it right away. Then, there are times where you get the ball in the midfield when you are just starting to build up play and you will see a forward get wide open, for example, down the inside flank and you go "WTF???" because you weren't expecting such a run. But if you can make that B-line pass to him, he will be running toward goal with a trailer behind him in case a defender catches up just enough.

The defensive AI of your player is just how you would want it. Players mark & cover with common sense. You don't get that "chicken with its head cut off" play. Players back up while watching play and keeping an eye on the opponent around them. I feel safe going up and making a tackle sometimes knowing that my teammates will not turn into a pile of hot mess.

Offensive AI of the CPU opponent realistically builds up play. They actually do it. There's no route 1 passing or always up the flanks or any of that junk. The CPU just doesn't jockey the ball up and then pass back, they pass sideways. They will even switch sides of play with a lob pass across the field. Let me repeat that. They will even switch sides of play with a lob pass across the field. CPU's defensive AI pressures with intelligence. Maybe depending on each club, your CBs will get pressured hard sometimes. When the midfielders get the ball, the pressure lets up and goes more to covering. If you get too much freedom, they will pressure your ***.

* I love using Bordeaux because of Yoann Gourcuff. Just like in past Winning Eleven games, I used Milan so I could use Pirlo and use him as my cog. I can't do that in "the other game" at all. I've tried and...ugh.

So, I used Bordeaux and got the ball to Gourcuff on my side of the field. Yoann gets the ball and passes it off. He moves up the field as I build up play. Eventually, Gourcuff finds space in the middle of the field and this is when I get him the ball. When I do this, the players around him organnically move around for an attack. Midfielders stay close to play off of him (just like Bordeaux's custom tactics suggests), while the forwards look for space around Yoann so he can make a pass. At this time, you better look for a 1-2 or look for an open man making a run. Once again, I can use a player as the cog to my machine. Gourcuff's playmaker cards really tell the story and do indeed work.

* A gripe I have is that sometimes, when you ask a teammate to press, he will half-*** it. It's not a big deal, but still...I notice it,

* The robotic clunkiness of the players is very noticeable after playing "the other game". It takes away from such a great game. Hands down, "the other game" uppercuts PES in this area.

* Passing is still kinda ping pong-ish. What offsets it to me is that the ping pong affect is mainly with the safe passes. But even with safe passes, there is a nice amount of errant passes on the safe ones from both human and CPU. And just like it's hard to thread the needle on a risky pass or through ball up the field against the CPU, even the CPU will have a hard time to do the same to you. Risky passes can be stolen. There is no God-like accuracy from the CPU. Especially the defenders, where I've stolen the ball from there a few times now.

* The header system is just bad, imo. Maybe it's me. Maybe I just suck, but playing headers on defense is hard to me. I get scored on easily. That's another thing that "the other game" got right. PES really needs to fix their jockeying for position play.

* Breakaways are so great in this game. Again, with Bordeaux...I had a breakaway and got the ball to Gourcuff. I'm dashing up the field, dribbling past a couple defenders. The forwards are on their way towards goal and the CPU have them contained. There's a defender ahead of me, but he isn't pressuring me and running me over to steal the ball. Instead, he is kinda backing off some, trying to block off passing lanes. Basically trying to keep me contained because if he tried to come at me, I would blow past him. I got to about 35 yards, slowed down and I noticed I still had some space left until the defender comes up to pressure me hard. With my forwards still kinda contained, I had the option to let off a curling screamer and damn! I just missed. Goaltender just got his fingers on it. It's so nice tht you have options ahead of you and also an option at your feet in that situation. But pay attention behind you.

Last edited by P2K; 11-03-2009 at 06:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »