Home

7 Minutes Too Long For A Ranked Game

This is a discussion on 7 Minutes Too Long For A Ranked Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
7 Minutes Too Long For A Ranked Game

I remember a post Ian made last year asking the question, "Does a game of Madden take too long to play?". I was one of those people who answered, "Yes". As a result, we got accelerated clock and 5 minute quarters. Ah, it felt like PS2 where you could play a game in 30 minutes or so. I know the game could be exploited, but EA overreacted and upped the game to 7 minutes. I think 6 would have been a nice balance, but now I am stuck with 7 minutes. Can I set the time for ranked games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Rookie

Autastic's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: 7 Minutes Too Long For A Ranked Game

I know, it is too long for me. When it takes 45 min to play one game... it is too long. I know they talk about realism and all that but isnt that what the online franchise is for where everyone plays 10 min quarters to get the realism
Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

I loved it when they changed it to 7 minutes. At 5, with accelerated game clock, if you got behind and your opponent used a lot of clock on a drive, you practically had to abandon any kind of run game you had and just start chucking it. Me perosnally, I like to run the ball alot. It opens up alot of options for me. At 5 mins and acc. clock, I really couldn't get that going.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

I don't feel you can get the experience with 5 mins accelerated. With 7 minutes online you get a better chess match, and more possessions on offense.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

Sadly, for EA Sports, one can also how god awful the defense and special teams is.

I pride myself on defense and I give up 20 pts a game cuz when you play MIN, SD or TEN...one toss play mixed with bad pursuit angles, and you are screwed...

Same goes for the poor tackling in the special teams game.
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316
I pride myself on defense and I give up 20 pts a game cuz when you play MIN, SD or TEN...one toss play mixed with bad pursuit angles, and you are screwed...
Not true...tosses IMO are the easiest runs to stop, then again if you're the kinda guy who sits back and lets the A.I. "drive" on defense then I could see why you think that way

Also, 5 min quarters acc clock is a joke, whats the point of purchasing a football SIM (advertised) game and wanting it to take thirty min or less this isn't delivery pizza. I like the elite time settings 10 min acc clock. Any real NFL would appreciate that amount of time because you get a chance to put together drives and you have to play good defense for the WHOLE game, not just one drive then drain the clock and force your opponent to throw prematurely, b/c of the time handicap.

IMO if you want less than 7 min yen play the CPU on Rookie 3 min quarters to settle your quicky, or just watch an ESPN highlight reel, but if you really want to stick your nose in there then a min of 7-8 minutes is required to get any decent SIM experience.

Last edited by s38s38s; 11-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s
Not true...tosses IMO are the easiest runs to stop, then again if you're the kinda guy who sits back and lets the A.I. "drive" on defense then I could see why you think that way
I'm pretty sure he is speaking in General and I do believe there is something to the toss plays.And as far as pursuit angles they need improvement.Try not to make it personal. Proper football logic does not always equate in football video games,we all know that.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

To reiterate, I think 6 would be perfect. It is sad when the game takes too long for the lead designer to play here and there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »