Home

Hasheem Thabeet

This is a discussion on Hasheem Thabeet within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21
Hasheem Thabeet

As a UConn fan, I've gotta love Thabeet as the type of player that he is. He's a shot blocker and is a force on the defensive side of the ball always contesting shots. In college, he was arguably one of the greatest defensive centers to ever play...

Now he's in the NBA, it's kind of like what I expected. He plays soft down low and relies too much on his length to grab rebounds. That may work in college, but in the pros, you've gotta be able to box out and be aggressive... I've been watching Thabeet lately and I just don't see that in him. His offense is also very raw and will take years to improve.

Thabeet needs to improve his strength down low (which will allow him to be more of a rebounder) and his footwork (which should allow him to become a better offensive player). His potential is still there, but I think he should have stayed in college and worked on his offense for one more year... and yes, even if it meant passing on a couple million dollars to do so.

So what do you guys thank of Hasheem Thabeet? How far away is he from reaching his full potential? Is he in an organization where he is put in a position to succeed, and if not, which is the 'perfect' organization for him?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
All Star

Gibbz's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Hasheem Thabeet

I don't think he's anywhere near his full potential, and it will take several years for him to be a legitimate big man, if he ever reaches that point.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
b**-r*y

tehova's Arena

OVR: 18

Well considering the Griz coach said their teaching Thabeet basketball the same way you would a 7th grader, i would say he has a very loooong way to go.

He had a great game as a help defender against the Blazers, but most nights he just seems kinda akward and fumbles the ball away out of bounds too much.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8

Picks like this one is why this team has completely lost the city.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 18

If Memphis owner want this draft not to be a bust and not look like a fool choosing him. He better fired hollins and get a damn good def-minded coach, like a avery johnson. Man somtimes thabeet looks so lost, he need to add some muscles to that skinny frame of his.

Its up to memphis to help this dude out. I honestly believe that thabeet has a very good work ethic but he needs to be guided. If i was memphis owner i will hire mutumbo when he retires, let him be a mentor to thabeet, to be his own personal big man coach. But since this owner dont know what the hell he is doing, i really doubt this would happen sry memphis fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 31

I thought Thabeet would be a bust but I am not so sure now. His hands are not Kwame like, his intensity is better than Kandi, his body movements better than Bogut.

I think he could be the next Mutumbo. I really do. It will just take 3 years or so until he will be a starter.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21

I wonder what it would take for any team to 'pry' Thabeet away from the Grizzlies.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlanta
As a UConn fan, I've gotta love Thabeet as the type of player that he is. He's a shot blocker and is a force on the defensive side of the ball always contesting shots. In college, he was arguably one of the greatest defensive centers to ever play...

Now he's in the NBA, it's kind of like what I expected. He plays soft down low and relies too much on his length to grab rebounds. That may work in college, but in the pros, you've gotta be able to box out and be aggressive... I've been watching Thabeet lately and I just don't see that in him. His offense is also very raw and will take years to improve.

Thabeet needs to improve his strength down low (which will allow him to be more of a rebounder) and his footwork (which should allow him to become a better offensive player). His potential is still there, but I think he should have stayed in college and worked on his offense for one more year... and yes, even if it meant passing on a couple million dollars to do so.

So what do you guys thank of Hasheem Thabeet? How far away is he from reaching his full potential? Is he in an organization where he is put in a position to succeed, and if not, which is the 'perfect' organization for him?
I think you summed it up pretty well. First thing he needs is to want to get better. I don't know his work ethic but he's a huge project and is going to have to work overtime for years to become the basketball player his body could let him be. I'm also not sure if he has anyone in his life that will teach him what he needs. I think the idea of bringing in Mutumbo is a great one.

I don't have a lot of faith in guys like Thabeet and Hibbert ever putting it all together. Even Okafor seems to have capped off short of expectations (and playing on his level would be a huge accomplishment for Thabeet). Something about today's raw big men. Throw in Chandler and Curry. These guys need some help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »