Home

Terrible Draft!

This is a discussion on Terrible Draft! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Terrible Draft!

Just went in to my first offseason with the Browns after going 5-11 year 1. Had the 5th overall pick as well as 2 3rd rounders and a second first rounder. Got a really good free safety with the 5th overall but other than that missed on almost every other pick. I cut 4 of my 9 picks before the season even started. I feel like this was just a really shallow draft with not a lot of great players available. Anybody else ever some across a draft class like this one or just have a bad draft in general?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Terrible Draft!

The first draft I ever did I think every player I selected was a D or F potential, but that's because I didn't pay any attention to their potential when I scouted them, all I did was look at the attributes that I scouted
Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

I scouted a bunch and used the little graph they give you too. Just missed on a lot of guys who seemed to be solid.

Do you guys notice no matter how many guys you scout during the regular season only about 50% of them seem to be available in the actual draft?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I hate how early the game reveals potential and player ratings, right after you draft and sign your players you know exactly how good they are going to be.

Rookie ratings should be hidden until after preseason, and their preseason performances should go into how highly they are rated. They would start out with base ratings which are hidden, then could go up or down depending on how they play. This would give a reason to play preseason because it would help in the development of your rookies.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I know its cheating but you guys know theres basically in depth reports and all the draft classes so you know who to draft? Some people who arent that serious and just play for fun might wanna check it out, especially to get the player clones
Texas Longhorns!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

If you use the preloaded drafts then some are very week drafts. But this happens in real life so I'm cool with it. What I do is get my computer out and do a spread sheet and log all the high potnetial players. I sort them by position. This way come draft time I have that information and can make logical picks. I hate to draft a player in the 2nd that turns out to be a D potential. This could be a franchise killer and put you behind for years to come. But this year you are better off drafting in the 4th-7th rounds then 1st-3rd rounds. You can get high potential players and sign them cheap and for as long as you want.
I have had a few drafts where I didn't want to draft at all. The positions of need were weak and not deep so thoses years I would spend more in FA and trade my picks for players to fill those holes. In my franchise I have going now I have had 3 years in a row without a QB worth drafting and I need a QB bad.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

my first draft i did, all my players were d or f potential and the best one was a 64 ovr. Yikes.

What's more, it seems like the info you get from your scouts isnt at all accurate. ie. i drafted a guard in the late rounds who had run/pass block ratings in the upper 80s. yet when i signed the dude, he was a freaking 60 overall. Balls.

#GoPackGo
Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I remember in one draft, there just seemed to be no real talent at all.
So when it came to my second round pick, I knew I needed a backup OLB. I picked a guy that was predicted round 4-5, though he had a good looking pentagon skill thingy.
When it came to signing him he only wanted 200K a year, so I signed him to a 7 year contract for 1.4 Million.

When I looked at his stats after the signing phase, he was an 82 OVR! I put him straight into my first team and he's still there now 4 years later, 93 OVR and still getting paid 200K

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »