Home

Passing moved to the right stick

This is a discussion on Passing moved to the right stick within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Passing moved to the right stick

I have been thinking a lot lately about having fun when i play sports games and honestly the most fun I have is when I'm playing games like NHL and MLB 2k. The reason for this is mostly because Im using the right stick to control my swing/shot/throw it seems so much more fun.

Yes madden does use the stick for a few things. Such as hitting and juking which really feels fun. (90% of the time I use the hit stick to tackle) However what would seem really fun is throwing the ball with the stick.

Im sure a bunch of you guys can come up with a couple different ways EA could make this happen but this is what I'm thinking.

2 ways to throw... just like they have now bullet and lob. simple.
flick up - (less power) quick pass/lob pass
pull back then push forward - (more power) bullet pass/longer throws
flick left/right - throw ball away
flick down - pump fake

want to lead a receiver as hes running a slant to the right? push the stick up to the right (1oclock). throw behind him? push the stick up to the left (11 oclock) throw it right on the money obv striaght up (12 oclock). very similar to the punting system.

every passing play has a prime reciever so when u hike the ball he is automatically selected. If you see something before the snap (miss match/blitz w.e) just select that receiver before you hike the ball. Pretty much how qbs determine who they are throwing to in real life. Then once the ball is hiked you can focus on watchin the receiver get open. However if you want to look it off to another receiver you must click their icon to select them then use the stick to throw.

Just my opinion on making passing seem a little more fun then just a button press.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Passing moved to the right stick

No need to make yet another aspect of the game overly complicated. That extra half second between selecting a receiver post snap and using the risght stick to throw the ball could be the difference between a pass and a sack or a completed pass and a deflection/INT. Really, these control schemes are getting so complicated I need a second right thumb in order to use both the right stick and the buttons.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I will not buy madden if passing was with the stick...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
Rookie

BlackJack_Williams's Arena

OVR: 7

I always enjoy a thinking mind but no thanks bro. It does seem like a cool idea but it seems like it would turn out to be more frustrating than anything else.
Playing right now: Rocket League
Games Looking forward to: Moving to PS4 lol
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowatipleaz
I will not buy madden if passing was with the stick...
Hmm funny to see people so dismissive of the idea. If you look what it has done for games like NHL and MLB 2k, youll see what keeps people entertained. Playing videogame hockey without using the right stick feels just plain wrong becuase of what EA has done. And even thought MLB The Show is with out a doubt the better baseball game. Many people wish it had the controls MLB 2k has. button pressing can get a little boring. I know comparing football is like apples and oranges but theres things like moving controls simply to the right stick that make gameplay go a long way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Hook 'Em Horns

St3fN_sTrApS's Arena

OVR: 18

That would probably take some getting used to, well it definitely would actually. As long as I'm able to switch back to the basic configuration controlls, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot to see how it works for me.

"Haters can make like bees with no stingers, and DROP DEAD!"
Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

This is how Backbreaker is doing passing controls more or less. I think the throw away is R2 and flick up on the right stick, and moving RT-LT changes wrs, but otherwise you got BB's system.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Rookie

toolawyer's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm afraid I can't see this flying though I appreciate the idea which could in theory give better passing control. BUT.... I think that the stick is too easily nudged in the wrong direction which would cause completely unasked for INTs. I know I have missed a couple of field goals at least through accidentally mashing my thumb in the wrong direction. Easy ones too. Probably realstic to totally bomb occasionally but not what I really wouldve liked. Don't confuse me further I beg you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »