Home

Will I enjoy this game even if I'm not an avid baseball fan?

This is a discussion on Will I enjoy this game even if I'm not an avid baseball fan? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Will I enjoy this game even if I'm not an avid baseball fan?

I know a little bit when it comes to baseball and Ive played MVP in the past (and enjoyed it somewhat)...but I'm not a hardcore follower of the sport. I'll catch highlights and take note of the standings/stats/etc, but I'm not as involved as i am with football or basketball.

So taking all of that in consideration, should I get this game? Does it have longevity and variety to keep me playing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Will I enjoy this game even if I'm not an avid baseball fan?

Yes.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Pro

cardsfan2222's Arena

OVR: 12

I think this will keep you interested as long as you don't expect to get a hit or home run every time up. This game has a steeper learning curve, especially in regards to hitting, so it will probably take you awhile to hit well. I would recommend renting the game to get a better idea of whether you'll like it or not.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimez
I know a little bit when it comes to baseball and Ive played MVP in the past (and enjoyed it somewhat)...but I'm not a hardcore follower of the sport. I'll catch highlights and take note of the standings/stats/etc, but I'm not as involved as i am with football or basketball.

So taking all of that in consideration, should I get this game? Does it have longevity and variety to keep me playing?
I don't really understand what you are saying here. It is like you are speaking in tongues or something. Are you saying that you are not an avid baseball fan? I don't think I have ever met anyone that is not an avid baseball fan.

Seriously though, I find baseball games more fun than other sports, despite the much longer season. And the graphics on this game are second to none. Rent it and check it out, but I can almost promise you will love it.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

lol I think baseball is interesting just not as exciting to me, but I love realistic sim sports games so I wanna expand my horizons to include baseball.

And what if I don't get 10, but pick up 08 or 09 used ( I can get for like $10-15)? Is the drop-off in quality huge, or would it still offer me the same enjoyment?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimez
lol I think baseball is interesting just not as exciting to me, but I love realistic sim sports games so I wanna expand my horizons to include baseball.

And what if I don't get 10, but pick up 08 or 09 used ( I can get for like $10-15)? Is the drop-off in quality huge, or would it still offer me the same enjoyment?
Get either 09 or 10, 08 was too hard to pull the ball.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

I wasn't a avid baseball fan untill a bought the show, get it.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero
I wasn't a avid baseball fan untill a bought the show, get it.
^This...

Now I've always been a fan... But this game sent me over the top. There is something to be said about the emotional investment that takes place when you are grinding out a close game with your favorite team.

Or the shear joy of being a part of a young prospect or aging legend hit a hot streak for the record books to help put your team back into contention.

this game is regarded as a system seller, so if you have even a fraction of an interest for baseball, GET IT.

Just be mindful, that your time with this game will not always be about the "ups"... there will be plenty of "downs." Watching your supposed stud closer blow his 3rd save in a row... Frustrating hitting slumps that will have you questioning your hand eye coordination (as it pertains to a video game controller)... Aces getting shelled long after you recorded your 2nd out of the inning.

But all of the above frustrations will just make you appreciate the subtle nuances this game offers. And furthermore appreciate the days when all seems to go your way.

Plus, this game may also teach you quite a bit more about the game of baseball. I had no idea what a Rule 5 draft was before this game. Or Arbitration, or many other baseball and contractual terms that are well defined in the franchise section of MLB 10 The Show.

In short.... Buy this game.

NBA- Lakers
NFL- Cowboys
MLB- Yankees/Mariners
NCAA- Texas Longhorns

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »