Home

The Greatness of Revis

This is a discussion on The Greatness of Revis within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
The Greatness of Revis

I just want to put some perspective on how good Revis was last year. Football Outsiders uses numerous metrics to analyze how effective every player in the NFL was last year. They had Revis as clearly the best player in the league and they quantified how good he was if he had been a "skilled" position player. Here's a chart:

Player
Actual Line

Revis-ized Line

Peyton Manning

4,640 passing yards

5,532 passing yards

Maurice Jones-Drew

1,391 rushing yards

2,000 rushing yards

Brandon Marshall

1,127 receiving yards

1,922 receiving yards

If those guys performed at Revis' level, Manning would easily break the passing record and Marshall would break the receiving record. Revis was that good, and he did it against every team's best WR (most CBs don't shadow the best WR on the other team).

And here's a video on some of his plays. This is what great CB play should look like in Madden. Great positioning, closing speed and ball skills. I think positioning is his biggest strength, he almost eliminates most routes that the WR can run. It almost looks like the only routes that could work are out breaking routes such as outs or comebacks. Here it is:

>>
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: The Greatness of Revis

Revis is definitely great and is one of the top players in the league, but I don't even understand how someone could go about trying to translate his success to skill positions. I think just looking at his numbers is enough to be impressed.

Times he was targeted: 111 (3rd most in NFL)
Allowed 41 catches (36.9%, lowest in the NFL)
Allowed 425 yards (10.4 yard avg. 16th in league)
Pass breakups: 23 (highest in NFL)
INTs: 6 (3rd highest for a CB)
2 TDs allowed (6th in NFL for guys who were targeted 75+ times)
32.3 QB rating allowed (lowest in NFL).

You can get a higher passer rating even if you don't complete a pass (39.7 is the rating for a guy who completes 0% of his passes and throws no INTs).

He also had 47 solo tackles and 4 assists. He also made 14 stops (tackles that force a punt or FG or turnover on downs).

I don't know about 'equivalent passing yards,' but based on CB stats, his play is extremely impressive. Usually guys that good are avoided (think Nnamdi and Champ in his prime).
Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

All these great cover corners have one great year sta wise then fall off due to people no longer testing them. Remember a few years back nnamdi had 8 ints. Now hes lucky to see 20 passes come his way all year. Same thing will happen to revis.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11

Revis truly is a great player. Just wish he wasn't on the Jets so he could be one of my favorite players.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
All these great cover corners have one great year sta wise then fall off due to people no longer testing them. Remember a few years back nnamdi had 8 ints. Now hes lucky to see 20 passes come his way all year. Same thing will happen to revis.
The difference is that Nnandi almost always stays on the same side of the field, Revis has been following the other team's best WR. Teams have to throw at him or their best guy is not involved in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
I disagree Revis follows the #1 across the field. Historically teams will force their #1's the ball. So I think Revis's workload will drop a little but he will be thrown at way more the Nnamdi even with his reputation.
NFL Dallas Cowboys:T-New,#31 Roy Williams
MLB Toronto Blue Jays:Carlos Delgado,Rick Ankiel
NHL St.Louis Blues:Keith Tkachuk,T.J. Oshie
NBA GSt. Warriors:Antawn Jamison, Steven Jackson
USA Soccer Oguchi Onyewu
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

revis is good no doubt about it but if the jets d-line was terrible he would not have such great numbers. the jets ability to stop the run, forcing teams to be in 3rd and long has alot to do with his numbers. put him on a team that can not stop the run his numbers would suffer.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
I just want to put some perspective on how good Revis was last year. Football Outsiders uses numerous metrics to analyze how effective every player in the NFL was last year. They had Revis as clearly the best player in the league and they quantified how good he was if he had been a "skilled" position player. Here's a chart:

Player
Actual Line

Revis-ized Line

Peyton Manning

4,640 passing yards

5,532 passing yards

Maurice Jones-Drew

1,391 rushing yards

2,000 rushing yards

Brandon Marshall

1,127 receiving yards

1,922 receiving yards

If those guys performed at Revis' level, Manning would easily break the passing record and Marshall would break the receiving record. Revis was that good, and he did it against every team's best WR (most CBs don't shadow the best WR on the other team).

And here's a video on some of his plays. This is what great CB play should look like in Madden. Great positioning, closing speed and ball skills. I think positioning is his biggest strength, he almost eliminates most routes that the WR can run. It almost looks like the only routes that could work are out breaking routes such as outs or comebacks. Here it is:

>>
Refreshing to see a PATS fan jocking MY J-E-T-S!!!!

Yes, revis is hands down the best player in the league. Can't wait for football season!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »