Home

Alabama favoritism doesn't just end with the rosters

This is a discussion on Alabama favoritism doesn't just end with the rosters within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who should win the Heisman Trophy
Jake Locker 28 52.83%
Mark Ingram 25 47.17%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

OVR: 2
Alabama favoritism doesn't just end with the rosters

We often think of the SEC rigging games for power teams to win, but the story that has unfolded this morning trumps even that.

Yes, the Tide rolled to a 12-0 record and slaughtered Florida again in the SEC title game. They sit at #2 in the nation and will probably go on to smoke overmatched Wisconsin for a second national title. Yes, we know, they are overrated in game on the default rosters.

But what happened to me just now probably trumps all of that. I was nearing the end of the regular season as Purdue when I realized the Heisman hype had escaped my attention because I was focusing on getting through my first season. I check the rankings and see that Mark Ingram has put up another pretty solid season for the undefeated Tide. Upon further inspection, I notice that Ingram lacks a single rush of over 20 yards. I see a few players ahead of him and think that in no conceivable way would such mediocrity be rewarded. Ingram was persistent and consistent, if anything unspectacular carrying the load for an Alabama team. Oh wait he wasn't carrying the load, as Greg McElroy threw 35 TD passes.

Anywho, I simulate to bowl season when I am promptly greeted by the Heisman Trophy presentation. In the first position I see Jake Locker. He has 1408 total points. Ingram is in second with 1381 point. Ingram does have an edge in first place votes, however. The game, seeing an Alabama player so close to glory, decides to declare Mark Ingram the winner, in a gut wrenching fashion that reminds me very much of Florida in the 2000 Presidential Election. Can we get a recount? Can anyone mend Jake Locker's broken heart? What a cruel twist of fate.

Examining the situation further, the game in some respects thinks Locker has won the Heisman and declares him so in the ESPN section of my dynasty. It mentions Washington's 11-1 record and that Locker has lead them to the Rose Bowl. When I go inside to check the top 5, it still shows Mark Ingram, with a long rush on the season of a pedestrian 16 yards, as the winner.

So I come to you, great people of Operation Sports, to help me decide who the real winner should be. Relevant stats are as follows:

Jake Locker - 3838 passing yards, 36 TD to 12 INT; 720 rushing yards, 6 TD. Team is 11-1, Pac-10 Champions, ranked #6, playing in the Rose Bowl

Mark Ingram - 1409 rushing yards, 4.9 YPC, 13 TDs; 45 receptions, 512 yards, 8 TDs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Rookie

browntowntiger's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Alabama favoritism doesn't just end with the rosters

your right. probably the first installment of this series where the developer just blatantly caters to one university and really doesent bother to keep it a secret. Im amazed i still play this game seeing as how its all bama this and bama that in dynasties and i have to look at that half queer on the main menu screen.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntowntiger
your right. probably the first installment of this series where the developer just blatantly caters to one university and really doesent bother to keep it a secret. Im amazed i still play this game seeing as how its all bama this and bama that in dynasties and i have to look at that half queer on the main menu screen.
Another one of these threads? It's a game people. Heck, there can't be that much favoritism seeing how they didn't get the colors of our uniforms right.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Great thread, would read again.

"Half queer"? What does that mean LSU fan?

@OP, make Locker the Heisman winner if that's in your power. Obviously it's the option that would make you feel better.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

You make it sound like Ingram did nothing he had just just under 2,000 total yards and 22 TD's. While leading his team to back to back undeafted seasons and national titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth
We often think of the SEC rigging games for power teams to win, but the story that has unfolded this morning trumps even that.

Yes, the Tide rolled to a 12-0 record and slaughtered Florida again in the SEC title game. They sit at #2 in the nation and will probably go on to smoke overmatched Wisconsin for a second national title. Yes, we know, they are overrated in game on the default rosters.

But what happened to me just now probably trumps all of that. I was nearing the end of the regular season as Purdue when I realized the Heisman hype had escaped my attention because I was focusing on getting through my first season. I check the rankings and see that Mark Ingram has put up another pretty solid season for the undefeated Tide. Upon further inspection, I notice that Ingram lacks a single rush of over 20 yards. I see a few players ahead of him and think that in no conceivable way would such mediocrity be rewarded. Ingram was persistent and consistent, if anything unspectacular carrying the load for an Alabama team. Oh wait he wasn't carrying the load, as Greg McElroy threw 35 TD passes.

Anywho, I simulate to bowl season when I am promptly greeted by the Heisman Trophy presentation. In the first position I see Jake Locker. He has 1408 total points. Ingram is in second with 1381 point. Ingram does have an edge in first place votes, however. The game, seeing an Alabama player so close to glory, decides to declare Mark Ingram the winner, in a gut wrenching fashion that reminds me very much of Florida in the 2000 Presidential Election. Can we get a recount? Can anyone mend Jake Locker's broken heart? What a cruel twist of fate.

Examining the situation further, the game in some respects thinks Locker has won the Heisman and declares him so in the ESPN section of my dynasty. It mentions Washington's 11-1 record and that Locker has lead them to the Rose Bowl. When I go inside to check the top 5, it still shows Mark Ingram, with a long rush on the season of a pedestrian 16 yards, as the winner.

So I come to you, great people of Operation Sports, to help me decide who the real winner should be. Relevant stats are as follows:

Jake Locker - 3838 passing yards, 36 TD to 12 INT; 720 rushing yards, 6 TD. Team is 11-1, Pac-10 Champions, ranked #6, playing in the Rose Bowl

Mark Ingram - 1409 rushing yards, 4.9 YPC, 13 TDs; 45 receptions, 512 yards, 8 TDs
It's a video game. Stop taking it so seriously! Ingram had another Heisman type season for me in the first year of my dynasty. Yet he wasn't even a finalist.

Last edited by bamajeff; 07-26-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Rookie

Husker88Chief's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth

That one loss was to Nebraska

In order to decide I've gotta see other HB stats. If he's the top HB in that year that can hold a lot more power in the Heisman voting.

Nebraska Football: 12-2 (Big Ten Runner-Up & Capitol One Bowl Champions)

Kansas City Chiefs: 10-6 (1st in AFC West)
Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Pro

NDIrish98's Arena

OVR: 9

you forgot to add a "Don't Care" option underneath "Locker" and "Ingram". i choose that one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »