Home

Stopping Four Verticals

This is a discussion on Stopping Four Verticals within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Rookie

sromick's Arena

OVR: 2
Stopping Four Verticals

Alright I am sure you guys all know what play this is, since almost 8 out of 10 people use this as their 'money play'. Basically, most of the time, it's ran out of shotgun where there are 3 receivers to either side and the two outside receivers run streaks and the receiver closest to the line of scrimmage runs a post like route.

My question is, what is the best play or scheme to stop this? I know it's coming and I try to defend it with my LB's but I get burned all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Rookie

kingoftroy59's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Stopping Four Verticals

First of all, use a nickel or dime against it -- your LB's will get burnt just based on speed differentials alone. Schematically speaking, your best bet is probably to go with a Cover 5 look (Man Under 2 Deep in the game). With that coverage called, your safeties will still be able to patrol their hash marks, while the manned up under-coverage (nickel and dime backs preferably) keep the receivers from getting hit in the open seams.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Since it's such a long developing pass play, a good pass rush should disrupt it. If you can't do that, man coverage tends to stop the outside WRs, so manually control the safety and take away the inside patterns.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I'd probably play dime against it, man coverage or a deep zone with pass commit, and then either control a safety or manually pass-rush with a defensive end. Ideally you want to get some pressure and not let him throw a perfect pass with both feet planted, but you don't want to have to blitz to make that happen since there are four going deep.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

2 steps to stopping this play. 1. Call man coverage, and send 6 guys after the quarterback. This way you have 6 rushers to their 5 lineman, meaning one guy runs through untouched. You have 5 guys left which is enough to cover all 5 receivers.

2. 9 out of 10 times their primary read on this play is the inside slot receiver on whichever side has 3 WR. Usually they're labeled as A. This is also the most effective route for getting open. Use defensive keys and spotlight that receiver. His man will play much better coverage on him. If they throw it to him anyway the other defenders will absolutely SWARM to that ball likely causing a drop.

Most of the time that will stop 4 verticals, because the other 4 routes get open much less consistently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
2 steps to stopping this play. 1. Call man coverage, and send 6 guys after the quarterback. This way you have 6 rushers to their 5 lineman, meaning one guy runs through untouched. You have 5 guys left which is enough to cover all 5 receivers.

2. 9 out of 10 times their primary read on this play is the inside slot receiver on whichever side has 3 WR. Usually they're labeled as A. This is also the most effective route for getting open. Use defensive keys and spotlight that receiver. His man will play much better coverage on him. If they throw it to him anyway the other defenders will absolutely SWARM to that ball likely causing a drop.

Most of the time that will stop 4 verticals, because the other 4 routes get open much less consistently.
Can you even spotlight WRs in NCAA? Thought that was Madden exclusive?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
MVP

andybaseball2005's Arena

Yea it might be a new feature. For PS3 it's L3(Defensive Keys) plus reciever icon to spotlight.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #8
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

Well if you hold LT and press one of the buttons over the receiver's heads then a circle appears around them, so it must do something. I also see players in zone rotate to the highlighted player when I do it, so I'm pretty sure its there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »