Home

Getting better at Madden

This is a discussion on Getting better at Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Getting better at Madden

I'm a pretty casual Madden player but I want to be better. I have a pretty firm grasp of all the buttons and moving the sticks, but I am terrible at strategy. I usually walk up to the line and press hike and hope for the best.

Could any of you please post maybe one or two basic things to look for every time you come to the line (on both offense and defense)? Nothing super complex, just some basic things I should be looking at before the ball is snapped. Once I get those mastered I'll move on to more complicated stuff.

Thanks!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Getting better at Madden

on offense look at your match ups like if a line backer is covering a WR. basically look for mismatches and play to your teams strengths such as big recievers in the endzone you might want to look for the endzone fade, power backs pound the ball in finesse backs pitch the ball ect just like real football....I Would give you tips on D but i suck on defense on this game the players never make a tackle for me...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

On offense you can send a reciever in motion to see if the defense is playing a zone or man to man defense. It's really simple and helps you read the defense and somewhat know what to expect after you snap the ball.
- Michael Jordan #23 -

My Teams:
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Cowboys
Texas Rangers
Kansas Jayhawks Basketball
Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Rookie

The best advice I can give you that will IMMEDIATELY improve your game is to choose your own plays on defense by formation, after watching how many RB's, TE's, and WR's the defense is coming out with.

It'll pop up in the bottom of the play calling screen.

For me, if they have two TE's or two RB's (with a few exceptions) I assume run. In this, I play 4-3 or 3-4. If they have 3 wide, I go nickel, and 4 wide gets Dime or Dollar, depending on the team.

The defensive formations are set up to counter specific types of plays, and it drives me crazy when people call Cover 3 out of 4-3 to stop the pass and a blitz out of dime to stop the run.

In my experience, the most pass effective play out of 4-3 will still stop the run better than the most run effective play in dime, and vice versa.

Once you actually get your play calling down, then you have to actually execute. In my opinion, MLB or in special cases OLB is the best position to play. I cannot keep up with WR's as DB's, and I don't like the idea of being the last resort as a safety. I will, however, play d-line occasionally, especially with teams like the vikings.

As MLB, I play all-out. While some would definitely say differently, my first instinct is what I do. I almost always bite on play action, and almost always hold back on draws. Its a natural instinct, and typically I can get the quarterback or the rest of my team will help me out enough to make up for it. However, when I guess right, the offense is shattered, often for the entire possession. this remains especially true on multiplayer, as if I blow up an inside run with Patrick Willis a few times early on, I can essentially eliminate that part of the opponent's game from my defensive gameplan.

When in doubt, choose a safe play from a formation you are comfortable with. I like 2 Man Press out of nickel when I have no clue. Another good idea is to find a good zone play with a LB or DB blitzing, and play as that player. blitzing is fun.

Remember, offense wins games, but defense wins championships.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Rookie

What JordanC said..
Alot of people just pick a defensive formation, not even thinking about what the offense is lined up in. Just picking the right formation, and starting with that, will immediately help you on the defensive side.
When you get this down, you can then start focusing on what down it is, how many yards the opposing team needs for a first down, etc. It would also help to know the opposing team's tendancies, and what weapons they have on the field..
- Michael Jordan #23 -

My Teams:
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Cowboys
Texas Rangers
Kansas Jayhawks Basketball
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Pay attention to the formations your opponent comes out in on offense, especially on his first drive. Alot of bad players will run only 1 play from a certain formation, so if you catch on to his tendencies on his first drive, you will know what is coming later on.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 10

any tips on manually playing zone d?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanC
The best advice I can give you that will IMMEDIATELY improve your game is to choose your own plays on defense by formation, after watching how many RB's, TE's, and WR's the defense is coming out with.

It'll pop up in the bottom of the play calling screen.

For me, if they have two TE's or two RB's (with a few exceptions) I assume run. In this, I play 4-3 or 3-4. If they have 3 wide, I go nickel, and 4 wide gets Dime or Dollar, depending on the team.

The defensive formations are set up to counter specific types of plays, and it drives me crazy when people call Cover 3 out of 4-3 to stop the pass and a blitz out of dime to stop the run.

In my experience, the most pass effective play out of 4-3 will still stop the run better than the most run effective play in dime, and vice versa.

Once you actually get your play calling down, then you have to actually execute. In my opinion, MLB or in special cases OLB is the best position to play. I cannot keep up with WR's as DB's, and I don't like the idea of being the last resort as a safety. I will, however, play d-line occasionally, especially with teams like the vikings.

As MLB, I play all-out. While some would definitely say differently, my first instinct is what I do. I almost always bite on play action, and almost always hold back on draws. Its a natural instinct, and typically I can get the quarterback or the rest of my team will help me out enough to make up for it. However, when I guess right, the offense is shattered, often for the entire possession. this remains especially true on multiplayer, as if I blow up an inside run with Patrick Willis a few times early on, I can essentially eliminate that part of the opponent's game from my defensive gameplan.

When in doubt, choose a safe play from a formation you are comfortable with. I like 2 Man Press out of nickel when I have no clue. Another good idea is to find a good zone play with a LB or DB blitzing, and play as that player. blitzing is fun.

Remember, offense wins games, but defense wins championships.
I call cover 3 out of base formations(46, 4-3 or the 3-4) quite frequently. For instance, it's first down and the offense comes out in 11 personnel, that's one back and one tight end, I want to have seven men in the box, maybe eight. If I call a man defense,in base personnel, my SS is matched up one on one with the slot WR and my corners are on left on islands. Cover 3 allows me to manually, or by showing blitz, to put the SS down in the box while having three defenders guarding against anything deep.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 08-11-2010 at 09:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »