Home

Has the lack of defense ruined it for you?

This is a discussion on Has the lack of defense ruined it for you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Has the lack of defense ruined it for you?

Just a simple question to see if anyone else feels the way I do...

Has the lack of defense in Madden 2011 made it un-playable for you? I'm very close to the point where I won't be able to play Madden anymore, I'm tired of seeing QB's throw for over 500 yards EVERY game. I've been playing Madden 11 since the weekend it came out and instead of me getting more and more enjoyment out of the game, I'm finding it more and more frustrating and un-playable. This is the most arcade "simulation" football game I've ever played, it feels like Tecmo Bowl with a new cover.

Anyone else feel the way I do or do I just suck at Madden? (I also put up 500+ passing yards a game, with a winning percentage above 60%)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 16
Re: Has the lack of defense ruined it for you?

If you are talking about online then sure. I don't play online and haven't played online since Madden 09. What you have to understand is that EA is trying to appeal to a "broader" fanbase meaning they do not want a simulation football game because it might turn off someone who is new to the game....i.e strategy pad, kick meter see where I am going with this? When a noob picks the game up he wants to be able to just pick up Tom Brady and throw for 400 YDS and 5 TD's and EA is doing everything they can to make that possible. Simulation gaming is in the past bro. All we can do for a "SIM" experience is keep making sliders for offline and try to tweak the game to our liking, because I'll tell you what the last people EA is thinking about is the people who have been playing Madden for years. Its really just simple business logic, the more people you appeal to the more money you bring in.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 29

Play this game OFFLINE... Until they actually make this series into something that is a true SIM experience you shouldn't expect to play against a human in a defensive battle.

This isn't meant as a slight at EA but at anyone that plays this game like an arcade game. Use the sliders and you will find a setting that makes this game quite a bit more enjoyable.

I have gone from hating this game to finding it to be quite a bit more enjoyable than Madden 10 from a gameplay perspective by making some decent sliders.

Mike32 has a great base set of sliders that you should give a shot. I have made a few changes but nothing too drastic.

I wouldn't consider anything permanent until they patch/tune the game next.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Banned

I don't really think the defense has been right for years.

There was no real opportunity to make a defensive play anymore unless it was an intercepted pass to the flats.

Hopefully it will get sorted soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

The recent roster update has helped it for me, certainly more playable now on defense (but I'm an offline Madden player).

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-arrived.html

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

I'm still playing M10 w/updated rosters, but let me chime in...

I just played an offline game using CLE against Pitt. The final? 17-10, Pitt.

It was 10-10 at the half. Both QB's threw for under 200 yds, and both RB's ran for under 100 yds. 9 minute qtrs, BTW.

Is this score and game type available in offline M11? It was a struggle, which is the way it should be, what with Cleveland's inept offense and Pitt's stifling defense.

Reading thru the impressions thread, seems like any QB can put up Drew Brees-type numbers. Am I correct in this assumption?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I'm still playing M10 w/updated rosters, but let me chime in...

I just played an offline game using CLE against Pitt. The final? 17-10, Pitt.

It was 10-10 at the half. Both QB's threw for under 200 yds, and both RB's ran for under 100 yds. 9 minute qtrs, BTW.

Is this score and game type available in offline M11? It was a struggle, which is the way it should be, what with Cleveland's inept offense and Pitt's stifling defense.

Reading thru the impressions thread, seems like any QB can put up Drew Brees-type numbers. Am I correct in this assumption?
I use Seattle, M11, All-Pro, 12min qtr w/25 sec accel clock.

Post-weekend roster update, I played a 'play now' offline Sea @ Ravens. Ravens beat me by 4 points, but led almost the entire time. I held Flacco to 49% passing, just under 250 yards for the game, and held their rushing game to under 100 yards. They beat me with their superior defense and field position.

It went how I expected it would...and it was a great game.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Banned

I hear what you guys are saying about the offline experience but I am an exclusive online gamer. I understand what you're saying about making it easier for the casual football gamer but I feel like that's not what Madden's dedicated fan base wants...

All you have to do is play last year/this years' NCAA Football game or even last years Madden and you can see a significant difference in the way the defense plays in that game. EA needs to be less concerned with appealing to the 12 year old Madden noobs and more about satisfying the needs of the hardcore Madden gamers (since we're the ones that drop $60 EVERY year for this piece of crap)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »