Home

Has EA finally given this series an identity?

This is a discussion on Has EA finally given this series an identity? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27
Has EA finally given this series an identity?

Does anybody else feel that this is the first year EA has actually given their basketball game its own identity?

In years past I always felt like they were trying to be option B. It was like Live was the game for guys that didn't want to play 2K or just wanted a change of pace for a while. They would offer some new controls or features but honestly it would be like playing the same game.

When I say playing the same game i mean the controls or features would just be something the other team hadn't really implemented yet. Nothing was truly revolutionary or game changing because it didn't add something the other game couldn't possibly have.

This year though they took on the total control mantra and it added in somethings that may not be possible in the other game. Things like RTP and 1:1 dribbling are in some ways in 2K11 too but not on the same level though.

Same things goes for two player animations they are completely done away in the game. And to me these things give Elite its own identity.

Now its not just "oh well I like Elite because it just gives me betterr control." Now it gives you total control and its not just effecting the user in small ways but it impacts every part of the game.

From the way we dribble up the court to how we shoot the ball. Pretty much everything has been effected in this years game.

And its kind of refreshing to see because it allows players to kind of change the way they think about bball games in general. You can't really approach this game in the same way you do 2K11 because they on two totally different playing fields now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Has EA finally given this series an identity?

I have no idea at this point. They have released very little info, no real vid's of gameplay.

I mean all we got is what 23 recorded and we all know how that went over with everyone.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Reading all the dev posts I like the approach and mindset they're taking. It's apparent they're trying to differentiate themselves with their physics and control, which is exactly what they need to do or else they'd always just be playing catch up to the competition.

Obviously need to play demo to reserve judgement on how well their ideas are executed. But I do like their goal and I'm hoping this is one of those games were initially people are scratching their heads, but once people get familiar that enthusiasm will grow in regards with what they're trying to achieve.

I've always used Live as an alternative to 2k, but really pulling for Elite to occupy majority of my playing time.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Does anybody else feel that this is the first year EA has actually given their basketball game its own identity?

In years past I always felt like they were trying to be option B. It was like Live was the game for guys that didn't want to play 2K or just wanted a change of pace for a while. They would offer some new controls or features but honestly it would be like playing the same game.

When I say playing the same game i mean the controls or features would just be something the other team hadn't really implemented yet. Nothing was truly revolutionary or game changing because it didn't add something the other game couldn't possibly have.

This year though they took on the total control mantra and it added in somethings that may not be possible in the other game. Things like RTP and 1:1 dribbling are in some ways in 2K11 too but not on the same level though.

Same things goes for two player animations they are completely done away in the game. And to me these things give Elite its own identity.

Now its not just "oh well I like Elite because it just gives me betterr control." Now it gives you total control and its not just effecting the user in small ways but it impacts every part of the game.

From the way we dribble up the court to how we shoot the ball. Pretty much everything has been effected in this years game.

And its kind of refreshing to see because it allows players to kind of change the way they think about bball games in general. You can't really approach this game in the same way you do 2K11 because they on two totally different playing fields now.
live has given themselves a new identity, but me for one at this current moment, not feeling this identity. I haven't played the demo yet, so thats why i feel this way, but i don't think that the demo will be much different from what i seen in the posted demos. I hate the collision system that live chose, and the reanimator stated that they chose that animation and it will be in the final build......
So, my preference is for the realest experience possible, if not this year, maybe next year. Elite said that they have a 3-year goal, so really dont know
what to expect from this series as the first installment. elite doesn't seem like my flow of game, so i will make my final decision after the demo is released.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Having your own identity I really don't know what that means when both games are trying to replicate a true to life NBA experience, having a different control scheme means nothing using fancy worlds to describe the same interactions on the court means nothing only thing that matters is how the game plays realistic or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

I seriously doubt they are gonna stick with this identity for 3 years..Its a good thought though, and I hope they do.
I'm fast, dudes can't get past my past
How they supposed to deal with my perfect present?"
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Yes, I think they have. Its not one that necessarily appeals to me, but I think that there is going to be a large number of dedicated core players for this game. These players will totally support the teams' design decisions, and never be tempted to gravitate to any other game. For a lot of people, TOTAL control, i.e. maximum User determination of success or failure, is everything. This seems to be Elite's target market, and there are a lot of those players out there.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Well see...only time will tell if they finish this "plan" and dont reboot again...cant establish an identity if you keep starting over...I like the new things they are bringing to the table though...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »