Home

Bsu's do's and don'ts for Head Coach 09

This is a discussion on Bsu's do's and don'ts for Head Coach 09 within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Bsu's do's and don'ts for Head Coach 09

Here's some random Do's and Don'ts to try to help your coach be successful.

DOs:

Pick the Ally personallity. I've found that you'll get less contract options, and players will usually agree to whatever contracts you ask for. And you'll also have to pay less when bidding most of the time.

Choose a team with a lot of $$$$ in the salary cap unless you want your favorite team. It'll help you sign players now and in the future. The Falcons or the Titans are Good Choices for this option. The Dolphins can be a good choice to. they have $58M in salary money available.

Write down a shopping list and stick to it, no matter what. Take into consideration your team needs. If you are playing as a team that needs a QB, LT, and a DE, Look in the Free Agent roster and write down 3 players that best fit your needs. You can waste your money easily if you don't stick to a shopping list. Also take note of your Season Goals. They can determine whether or not you succeed. I played the Titans twice. I didn't take into consideration the season goals, and because of that, I failed miserably. However, I restarted with the Titans, used the Season goals, and because of that, I winded up in the playoffs.

Use skill points on your team's biggest needs. You get 50,000 skill points in the beginning to "give your coach an advantage". If you use the Dolphins, Use the skill points on Physical Development, and purchase OL Physical Development up to Level 3, or 4

Draft Josh Johnson in the first year draft. He will help you, PERIOD. It'll take 3-4 years for him to develop, but he will be very good after the development process.

Use The Draft Preview. I won't say anything else, just use it. It has some big sleeper picks.

Use the Jack English or the Alex Hurst Draft Class Path. Some Amazing, talented players, notably at QB.I prefer to stay away from Mike Zazzalli.

Always try to trade away players for first round draft picks after 2008. If you have an 80+ overall and young player, you can easily get him for a first rounder, DO IT. Don't trade him away for a second or third rounder unless you have to, always accept a 1st rounder for a player. It'll help you in the future to get better, younger players.

Don'ts:

Never call counter run plays. They never work. I've tried hopelessly numerous times to get them to work, but counter plays just never work. DELETE THEM FROM YOUR PLAYBOOK.

Don't waste your Individual workouts for Top players. chances are that that if Adam Schefter mentions them as big, huge players, they'll likely be drafted in the Top 10

Stay Away from Felix Jones He gets injured easily, and often. If he becomes a free Agent, don't bid on him.

I'll continue to upload this list if I feel I need to add some things.

Last edited by bsurocksrule; 10-09-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 12
Re: Bsu's do's and don'ts for Head Coach 09

Yes, do stay away from Felix Jones. OMG, he is never healthy. I soon replaced him with Leron James and never looked back. Let him go in FA as soon as his contract was up. What a waste of money.
I'm so theoretical and unimaginable you can almost say I don't exist.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

i get felix jones usually as a free agent a couple seasons in just to get my trainer points.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Counters depend on the playbook, I have had hit or miss on outside counters lots of losses and break a big run every so often, but inside counter runs can work well when learned.

They are like screen passes, kiss of death on some plays or when not learned, but can be good to very effective when learned/mastered.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

I think counters can work; it's all about the timing though. I had Leron James break a 63 yd TD on one outside counter, and then get thrown for a 4 yd loss on the next counter I ran.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7
Counters, draws and fast HBs

Not to turn this into the "counters rule/counters suck" thread, but I find counters tend to work well against 4-3 teams that habitually don't blitz (e.g. all the Tampa- and Cover-2 teams). Counters are slow-developing plays, so if teams run man or zone blitz-free schemes, you'll have the time to make it happen (at least if you alter the defense's Awareness slider some). Counters and draws are some of my favorite run plays against those defenses, and they get me more yards more often than standard smashmouth runs.

OTOH, running counters against defenses like the Eagles and Giants are almost guaranteed to get your HB's butt handed to him in your backfield early and often.

The relative success of counters and draws also feeds a theory I have about the running game that I've never seen mentioned here. In a nutshell, I think players have basically only one speed, and HBs like Jones and James are "too fast" for most running plays. Counters and draws tend to "slow them down" enough for the blocking to work as designed, which then allows the AI to pick the correct hole more often.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Counters, draws and fast HBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebongreen
Not to turn this into the "counters rule/counters suck" thread, but I find counters tend to work well against 4-3 teams that habitually don't blitz (e.g. all the Tampa- and Cover-2 teams). Counters are slow-developing plays, so if teams run man or zone blitz-free schemes, you'll have the time to make it happen (at least if you alter the defense's Awareness slider some). Counters and draws are some of my favorite run plays against those defenses, and they get me more yards more often than standard smashmouth runs.

OTOH, running counters against defenses like the Eagles and Giants are almost guaranteed to get your HB's butt handed to him in your backfield early and often.

The relative success of counters and draws also feeds a theory I have about the running game that I've never seen mentioned here. In a nutshell, I think players have basically only one speed, and HBs like Jones and James are "too fast" for most running plays. Counters and draws tend to "slow them down" enough for the blocking to work as designed, which then allows the AI to pick the correct hole more often.

Yes RB's are not patient in the game, I usually like having a slower power back for some runs. It lets th6 eplay develop and they get good yards on plays faster backs get nothing on.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

I ran a Oakland Raiders franchise in HC09 with Fargas busting for 1200+ yards in a season using alot of counters. Counters only work is your HB can see holes and does not diddle-daddle about in the backfield.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »