Home

Is he dead, Gorilla? A Buffalo Sabres Season

This is a discussion on Is he dead, Gorilla? A Buffalo Sabres Season within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

OVR: 5
Is he dead, Gorilla? A Buffalo Sabres Season

Breaking: Quinn steps down as President for the Buffalo Sabres; successor named.

Associated Press

Buffalo Sabres president of hockey relations Larry Quinn announced he will step down from the position and will also transfer his minority ownership to his successor, Timothy O’Donnell.

Quinn said the move comes because he wants to focus his attention on the development of the waterfront in downtown Buffalo and to spend more time with his family.

“The decision to leave the Buffalo Sabres is a tough, but I believe the team will be set with O’Donnell at the helm” Quinn said at a press conference Tuesday morning. “I’ve spent the last seven years working under a great boss in Tom Golisano, and I’ve had the pleasure of working with General Manager Darcy Regier and Head Coach Lindy Ruff. I feel proud of everything we have accomplished.”

Quinn elects to step down from his second stint as president of the organization. He was the team’s president in the early 1990s where he hired Ruff and Regier to their current roles. He was fired in 1998 by then-owner John Rigas, before re-entering the fold when Golisano purchased the club in 2003 from the National Hockey League.

Quinn is also responsible for the marketing success of the Sabres, whom turned a profit in 2006 and 2007 for the first time since 1975. The Sabres had the hottest selling jersey in the NHL in 2006 and are currently debuting a new road and alternative jersey for the 2010-2011 season.

However, Quinn has also been criticized by the fans, partially for involving himself in hockey decisions, and for allowing All-Star centers Daniel Briere and Chris Drury to leave the club in free agency . When the Buffalo Bandits of the National Lacrosse League won the league’s championship in 2008, his name was booed when mentioning the owners and presidents of the club.

He was respected by his co-workers and peers, though.

“We will miss Larry as the president of the team” said Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier. “He hired both Lindy and I in 1997, and we developed a solid relationship together. He allowed for flexibility to spend to the Salary Cap during the 2006-2007 season, and re-energized a hockey market as well.

Quinn’s successor is Timothy O’Donnell, who becomes the youngest president in professional sports. The 29-year old local businessman graduated from the University of Buffalo law school and has interned with the Sabres and Toronto Maple Leafs. O’Donnell will also take responsibility for the Bandits as their president.

His focus for now is hockey.

“We have a good influx of players on our NHL team, our AHL team, and in the pipeline” said O’Donnell. “My goal is to work with Regier and Ruff on constructing a roster that will lead us to a championship. I will ensure the fans in Buffalo get a product they can be proud of this season.”

--------------------------------------------------------

The Buffalo Sabres have made several moves this off-season to bolster the lineup.

Gone are Raffi Torres (Vancouver), Henrik Tallinder (New Jersey), Toni Lydman (Anaheim), Adam Mair (Free Agency), and Tim Kennedy (New York Rangers). In are defenseman Jordan Leopold (Pittsburgh), Shaone Morrisonn (Washington), Rob Niedermayer (New Jersey), and Tim Conboy (Carolina)

O’Donnell noted he believes the moves for Leopold and Morrisonn will pay dividends for the club.

“I’ve watched plenty of Shaone Morrisonn in Washington, and I must admit, I’m impressed with what Darcy has done to improve the club. We did lose two defenseman, but replacing them with Leopold and Morrisonn is not only a cheaper option, but an improvement in my books”.

He also commented that guys like Marc-Andre Gragnani, Nathan Gerbe, Mark Mancari, and Mike Weber will have a fair shot to make the big leagues next season.

“We will give everyone a look during Training Camp and the pre-season to see what lineup we believe is right for the club. I am very excited for the season, and for the chance to run my favorite team.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

O’Donnell commented on the status of Regier and Ruff, whom are both in the final year of their contracts.

“We will use this season to evaluate both of them” he said. “Both are top notch at their positions, and they’ve been a team for thirteen years. I plan on developing a good, working relationship with both. We all have the same goal, and that is to win the Stanley Cup. I have a good feeling we can accomplish our goal.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

Re: Is he dead, Gorilla? A Buffalo Sabres Season

Sabres Game night: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto Maple Leafs 3, Buffalo Sabres 0

Jonas Gustavsson did his part in the Leafs pre-season victory (pic courtesy of turner.com)

AP- The pre-season opener for the Buffalo Sabres was a rough outing, as the Toronto Maple Leafs outplayed the Sabres, blanking them 3-0 in front of 16,542 at HSBC Arena. Christian Hanson had a goal and assist for the Leafs, and Swedish goaltender Jonas Gustavsson had eleven saves for the shutout.

After the game, team president Timothy O'Donnell was disappointed, but notes that adjustments are to be made, and since it's pre-season, he doesn't mind the score.

NOTES- The Leafs outshot the Sabres 23-11, but the Sabres and Leafs spilt faceoffs at 12 apiece.......Patrick Kaleta won the fight in the second period against Braydon Irwin......Wednesday's contest against the Canadiens will see Ryan Miller start.......team will announce a round of cuts after the game.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

Previous Game(s)
Buffalo Sabres: 3-0 Loss vs. Toronto
Montreal Canadiens: 1-0 Loss vs. Ottawa

Sabres Gamenight: Montreal Canadiens (0-1-0) vs. Buffalo Sabres (0-1-0)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo Sabres 4, Montreal Canadiens 3 OT

Derek Roy scored two goals, then passed out on Chippewa after three beers

AP- Despite a sluggish game from Venzia Trophy winner Ryan Miller, Derek Roy's 2 goals, including the game winner in overtime, gave Buffalo their first win of the pre-season against the Montreal Canadiens.

The Sabres outshot the Canadiens 27-19, and won more faceoffs with 18 wins against the Habs 17. Karri Ramo kept the Canadiens in it, but a horrid third period wiped his good game away.

The Sabres will go to Ottawa to play the Senators. Patrick Lalime will make the start for the team.

--------------------------------------------------

The Buffalo Sabres have assigned the following players to Minor League Camp:

(D) Nick Crawford
(RW) Jacob Legace
(LW) Dennis McCauley
(D) Drew Schiestel
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

Sabres Gamenight: Buffalo Sabres vs. Ottawa Senators

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo Sabres 3, Ottawa Senators 2

Me and John Hopkins used to light that **** up everyday!

(AP)- Despite being outshot 28-13, the Buffalo Sabres managed to win their second pre-season game 3-2 in front of 15,011 at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa. Dennis Persson, the Sabres 2006 1st round pick, picked up the game winner, and Steve Montador had 2 assists in the effort.

Patrick Lalime made 26 saves, and kept the Sabres in the game single-handily. The Sabres have one more pre-season to go, a game against the Boston Bruins at TD Garden. Jhonas Enroth will make the start.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The following players have been re-assigned to minor league camp

(D) T.J. Brennan
(D) Chris Butler
(C ) Paul Byron
(RW) Mark Mancari
(D) Dennis Persson
(C ) Felix Schutz
(C ) Travis Turnbull
(LW) Derek Whitmore
Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
MVP

Bolts_26's Arena

OVR: 37

Love the photo's from the past two games!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

So I've decided to structure the season like this:
  • There will be no game-by-game updates. It takes too long. I'll have a recap after 7-8 games with in-depth information and leaders from around the league
  • I'll also play every game.
  • I will not post-whore this. I don't need to have my dynasty at the top of the page everytime. You look at it, good enough. Post-whoring is like some 18-year old girl on Facebook crying for attention with Wall postings
  • I do "mailbags" to answer every comment. I wait for about 10 comments before I do this. I usually respond with a vague thank you to being sarcastic, funny, or a complete *******.
  • And one more thing; yes I do read other dynasties, and yes, I'll comment.

I'll post the Sabres, Pirates, and In-The-System players when I'm done goofing off on my laptop in school because I pay to have some ******* teacher read from a book. God community college sucks.

Oh, and it's gay that I had to send Luke Adam, Nick Crawford, and Jacob Legace to juniors because their "under aged" for the AHL. Since it's the first year of CHL integration, they get a pass for this. All three players are 20. Now, their overaged CHL players. You know the last overage CHL prospect the Sabres had? Dylan Hunter, and he sucked.

And funny pictures will continue.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

Sabres sign 4; Forsberg, Naslund, Cheechoo among them

Peter Forsberg in action with Modo Hockey in 2009

THE CANADIAN PRESS
10/5/2010 11:49:12 AM

BUFFALO -- Three days before the start of the regular season, the Buffalo Sabres sent shock waves throughout the National Hockey League when they announced the signings of former goal scorers Jonathan Cheechoo, Peter Forsberg, and Markus Naslund to 2-Way contracts, according to the Buffalo News.

Forsberg and Naslund were signed to one-year contracts while Cheechoo was signed to a multi-year deal. The team also signed former Toronto Maple Leafs farmhand Kyle Rogers to a minor league contract. Rogers played for the Buffalo Lightning and Niagara University before embarking on an American Hockey League career.

The big names were Forsberg and Naslund. Sabres President Timothy O'Donnell said Forsberg, who's still recovering from multiple injures, will be the Sabres 13th forward, while Naslund and Jonathan Cheechoo will begin the season with the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League.

"This was an opportunity that we had to jump on" said O'Donnell, who noted that all four players signed for the league minimum. "Naslund and Forsberg are established veterans whom had long and storied careers, and Jonathan is only five years removed from a 50-goal season. Even if he doesn't play in the NHL, he adds leadership and scoring depth in Portland."

Naslund, who retired after his short stint with Modo Hockey, was set to have his number 19 retired by the Vancouver Canucks this season. Forsberg is still injured, and O'Donnell said Forsberg will not play in the team's upcoming openers against Ottawa and the New York Rangers.

The Buffalo Sabres now have 22 men on their main roster with the addition of Forsberg. Naslund will begin the year in Portland to return to hockey shape before the club decides whether or not to bring him up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo Sabres Roster

Code:
#    Player              Pos.   Ht    Wt    Age    SAL     YL 
19   Tim Connolly         C     6'1   190    29  $4.500M    1
37   Matt Ellis           LW    6'0   207    29  $0.625M    1
63   Tyler Ennis          LW    5'9   163    21  $0.875M    2
12   Peter Forsberg       C     6'1   205    37  $0.500M    1
28   Paul Gaustad         C     6'5   229    28  $2.300M    2
25   Mike Grier           RW    6'1   225    35  $1.500M    1
55   Jochen Hecht         LW    6'1   191    33  $3.525M    2
36   Patrick Kaleta       RW    5'11  195    24  $0.910M    2
40   Patrick Lalime       G     6'3   189    36  $0.600M    1
 6   Jordan Leopold       D     6'1   200    30  $3.000M    3
30   Ryan Miller          G     6'2   166    30  $6.250M    4
 4   Steve Montador       D     6'0   205    30  $1.500M    1
27   Shaone Morrisonn     D     6'4   212    27  $2.075M    2
57   Tyler Myers          D     6'8   222    20  $0.875M    2
20   Rob Niedermayer      C     6'2   200    35  $1.000M    1
29   Jason Pominville     RW    6'0   186    27  $5.300M    4
52   Craig Rivet          D     6'2   210    36  $3.500M    1
 9   Derek Roy            C     5'9   188    27  $4.000M    3
44   Andrej Sekera        D     6'0   191    24  $1.000M    1
21   Drew Stafford        RW    6'2   202    24  $1.900M    1
26   Thomas Vanek         LW    6'2   208    26  $7.145M    4
 3   Mike Weber           D     6'2   205    22  $0.500M    1
Portland Pirates Roster

Code:
#    Player              Pos.   Ht    Wt    Age    SAL     YL 
 3   T.J. Brennan         D    6'0   208     21  $0.875M    2
34   Chris Butler         D    6'1   185     23  $0.585M    1
12   Paul Byron           C    5'9   156     21  $0.555M    2
14   Jonathan Cheechoo    RW   6'1   205     30  $0.500M    2
 5   Tim Conboy           D    6'2   210     28  $0.550M    1
 1   Jhonas Enroth        G    5'10  174     22  $0.865M    1
42   Nathan Gerbe         C    5'6   160     23  $0.850M    1
17   Marc-Andre Gragnani  D    6'2   201     23  $0.500M    1
33   David Leggio         G    5'11  178     26  $0.000M    0
25   Mark Mancari         RW   6'3   225     25  $0.575M    1
24   Dennis McCauley      LW   6'3   205     25  $0.500M    1
 8   Cody McCormick       C    6'3   213     27  $0.500M    1
19   Markus Naslund       LW   6'0   195     37  $0.500M    1
27   Dennis Persson       D    6'1   181     22  $0.850M    1
35   Kyle Rogers          RW   6'3   215     25  $0.500M    1
15   Felix Schutz         C    5'11  187     22  $0.550M    1
44   Drew Schiestel       D    6'2   193     21  $0.750M    2
23   Colin Stuart         LW   6'2   204     28  $0.500M    1
 9   Travis Turnbull      C    6'0   193     24  $0.510M    1
29   Derek Whitmore       LW   5'11  190     25  $0.550M    1
---------------------------------------------------------------

Sabres Update
2010-11 Season
Positions: NHL: 1st, East: 1st, Div., 1st
Win%: 0.0
PP: 0.0
PK: 0.0
GFPG: 0.0
GAPG: 0.0
Injures: None
Team Salary: $53.480M

Trade/Free Agent Signings: See Above

Lines

Vanek - Niederemayer - Pominville
Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Hecht - Connolly - Grier
Ellis - Gaustad - Kaleta

Weber - Myers
Leopold - Rivet
Morrisonn - Montador

Miller
Lalime

Next Seven Games

08-Oct-2010: @ Ottawa
09-Oct-2010: vs. New York Rangers
11-Oct-2010: vs. Chicago
13-Oct-2010: vs. New Jersey
15-Oct-2010: vs. Montreal
16-Oct-2010: @ Chicago
20-Oct-2010: @ Atlanta

NHL Transactions

03-Oct-10

Carolina: Agreed to terms with center Jiri Hudler on a three-year contract
Dallas: Agreed to terms with defenseman Kim Johnsson on a three-year contract
Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

What are Naslund's ratings?, he is one of my favourite NHL players and I might try and pick him up for my team when I get the game.

Do you have any other moves planned?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »