Home

Patch #3 Gameplay Only Discussion

This is a discussion on Patch #3 Gameplay Only Discussion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Patch #3 Gameplay Only Discussion

I thought I would start a thread to discuss the changes in Gameplay only. Do not discuss dynasty progression, recruit ratings, or anything else other than affects on actual gameplay please. The other thread is too cluttered for those trying to read about actual gameplay discussion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Re: Patch #3 Gameplay Only Discussion

I played 1.5 games on Heisman after the patch. First game was me using Miami @ Ohio State. I was getting pounded 24-0 at the half although 3 turnovers didn't help. I was just screwing around with some playcalls to test some things as I normally would pound the Buckeyes.

Second game I played as VT (home) against VT. The cpu ran all over me. This patch definitely requires some slider tweaking and while I had done a little, it needed more. I ended up losing a game in OT 34-31 as I fumbled on my first possession.

Overall I'm not sure how much difference I can really tell after only 1.5 games besides two main areas.

1) Rush defense slider work SO much better it's not even funny. If you drop the rush defense slider to 0 (and I had the cpu run block at 100) the cpu OL will drive you off the ball and pancake you consistently. After patch #2 the cpu OL never got much movement and on AA my DTs would still be in the backfield consistently. This is no longer a problem. And I tested this out briefly on AA - works MUCH better there too. I don't know if I'll go back to AA as Heisman is working pretty good but my biggest beef with AA was a horrible cpu running game post patch #2 and this is fixed with the third patch.

My running game took a hit on Heisman after the patch. I think I need a boost in this department. Either way the sliders work a lot better and people will be happy with it.

2) Pass coverage needs to be boosted with sliders. I think the man coverage (at least on Heisman) is roughly 10 points worse on the slider scale. Not 100% sure yet but I think people may need to boost their coverage slider up two clicks from where they had it (both human and cpu). I was using zone quite a bit and didn't notice it being any worse than man and I think it will be more useful vs. the cpu after this patch. More time is needed though.

One thing I did notice was the cpu taking more shots downfield against press coverage. Maybe it's because the WRs were beating it a lot easier and the player was open. Don't know.

Other things:
* The PS3 replay length still sucks. I thought someone said it was better but I think that was a placebo effect. Still plenty of plays getting cut off.

* Just my Imagination (small sample set) but fatigue seemed to be more pronounced. I saw RBs rotate in a little more but it may have been the same. I saw a few more broken tackles too but that may be entirely related to the great RBs in the game.

Overall the running game sliders work a lot better and will need adjusting. Pass coverage (man) was toned down. Other than that I'm not sure I would have noticed anything different if I didn't know I had a new patch. That's not a bad thing but nothing else leaped out at me. I think I'll play another game soon and then just jump back into my dynasty.

I must also say that I don't see robo QB. I was able to sack the cpu on Heisman and they didn't magically throw the ball away before getting sacked. But I didn't see this as a real problem before this last patch either.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

I've read many people say the pass rush has been toned down. I didn't play enough to see a significant difference. How many feel this way?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Support Sim

BroMontana82's Arena

OVR: 52

360 user here - can you discuss run blocking and run improvements for shotgun formations and the option?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Some impressions..

1. About the pass rush toned down... well maybe.. i've played a 2 games, and in one I had 3 sacks and the other 2 or 3. The CPU Qb does have more time in the pocket, which means we have to tighten up man coverage, or raise the speed threshold slider to compensate, because the Dbs are not jumping the routes.. this will make throwing curl routes viable again. Although in one time my wr ran a square in, the db was right there with him, and swatted the ball away (I had 6 sacks with my cpu controlled DE in one game, gonna miss that)

2. The cpu ran the ball well on me, but I think the rush defense (hum) and rush offense (CPU) slider has to be tweaked in order for the cpu to have 100 + yards in a game.. saw covering the ball a little, not too much

3. My rushing was good, in one game only had like 150 and the other game 300 (play with GT BTW so I run the ball A LOT)

4. Sometimes still seeing the cpu blitz too much, maybe we have to tone down cpu aggresiveness in to see what happens

5. Also in one game, cpu was over 70% and in the other game was like 54% completion percentage.. saw some overthrows, which was nice.

6. Zone coverage was BETTER.. had 2 int with my LB that was playing the middle zone.. also in one pass I threw it, had two LB in the zone, but somehow the pass lobbed OVER them and I completed them
It may be a good idea to put the speed threshold back in 50, maybe this will help leveling man coverage

My only real gripe now with the game is that they blitz too much in 3rd down, leaving some routes open for easy first downs

About run blocking.. if you can run the wishbone on the inside for 6 yard gains, or 20 yard gains, or run a wishbone counter for 80 yards, I can say it is very good

About playaction .. ran a bootleg with no problems and also ran a wilcat pass with my back, he faked it, no no one near me, threw a LONG pass and it was a little off!!! greatest thing ever

Although, I sacked the CPU once in a PA,but only because I blitzed 3 persons!

Last edited by Saints21; 09-08-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Rookie

tommygunn's Arena

OVR: 3

How about Play Action and Special Teams?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

360 user here.
Your correct about the other thread, thanks for this one and hope Mod's don't lock and direct back to that other mess!!!

With your posts, could gamers notate what level and sliders they're using?

My questions are:
The Play-action issue. What have you seen concerning this?

Also, more detail about affect on any phase of Special Team(s)?

thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints21
6. Zone coverage was BETTER.. had 2 int with my LB that was playing the middle zone.. also in one pass I threw it, had two LB in the zone, but somehow the pass lobbed OVER them and I completed them
I threw two passes last night, one that I completed in the corner of the end zone in nearly double coverage (I forced it, bad decision) that ended up being complete. Near miracles. I wonder if they toned down the ability of the DB to knock down the balls more in this patch.

I only tried play action sparingly but will try it more. I actually ran a couple OK but I'm so scared to run them since it used to be a near automatic sack. Not sure if it's better or not.

I didn't notice any difference on special teams (I play on Heisman - click sig to see sliders I'm using).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »