Home

Winning National Championship with service academies

This is a discussion on Winning National Championship with service academies within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
Winning National Championship with service academies

Has anyone ever done this? I know in real life it'll never happen without a playoff but I've been thinking about taking over Air Force and turning them into an Air Raid or Run & Shoot team to live up to their name and becoming a national powerhouse. I'm probably looking at a very long haul but I'm tempted. After my Boise State infatuation is over with that is.

I've never played a dynasty as a service academy is their recruiting any different?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Winning National Championship with service academies

I don't believe they have a redshirt, and they can't leave for the pro's early. Those are the only differences I'm aware of.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Yeah nobody gets redshirted although in my Army dynasty I still redshirt guys. I'm in year 2, currently 3-2. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12

FWIW:

It isn't nowhere close to reality as the service academies do not give out scholarships as opposed to NCAA 11. This makes what Paul Johnson did at Navy (turn around their program) quite impressive given the policies he had to deal with. Fisher Deberry is the gold standard for 1985 and achieving a #2 national ranking at USAFA before losing to BYU.

A great book, "Civil War" by John Feinstein talks about the Army/Navy rivalry and how the academies deal with playing football in the modern era.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Coll...=operasport-20

A good article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...her&id=3450865

Last edited by Pielet; 09-18-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
FWIW:

It isn't nowhere close to reality as the service academies do not give out scholarships as opposed to NCAA 11. This makes what Paul Johnson did at Navy (turn around their program) quite impressive given the policies he had to deal with. Fisher Deberry is the gold standard for 1985 and achieving a #2 national ranking at USAFA before losing to BYU.

A great book, "Civil War" by John Feinstein talks about the Army/Navy rivalry and how the academies deal with playing football in the modern era.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Coll...=operasport-20

A good article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...her&id=3450865
it's actually the total opposite regarding scholarships. every student, athlete or not, at the academies is on a full, government funded scholarship (you pay it back with the next 4-7 years of your life). this plays a major role in allowing the academies to compete at the FBS level because they essentially have unlimited scholarships.

the academies do not redshirt, but they send a pretty good portion of their players to their own prep schools which serves the same purpose as a redshirt in many cases.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
Has anyone ever done this? I know in real life it'll never happen without a playoff but I've been thinking about taking over Air Force and turning them into an Air Raid or Run & Shoot team to live up to their name and becoming a national powerhouse. I'm probably looking at a very long haul but I'm tempted. After my Boise State infatuation is over with that is.

I've never played a dynasty as a service academy is their recruiting any different?
The game doesn't treat recruiting for them any differently than anyone else. You can RS anyone you want on the game. In real life, it's completely different but on the game, it's just another team. It's hard. I spent about 8 years building up Army on NCAA 09. You wouldn't believe all the dumb things that would happen to keep me out of the title game. I got to 2 BCS bowls but it took about 6 years to get them there. You MUST be one of two or fewer undefeateds, which is a big problem because there are multiple most every year once you get a few years in. It's less of a problem at the start. It would take me longer than the 8 years I tried now because recruiting is a lot harder for small schools than it used to be. That's quite a challenge. Without moving Army or Navy into a bigger conference, it will penalize you for being independent
Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Pro

Pielet's Arena

My point was there are no "athletic" scholarships at the service academies. To get the "scholarship" at an academy you have to have a congressional sponsor and a ton of other steps in the process.

I was simply stating that in terms of athletics there are not special exemptions like at other D-1 schools. Athletes with lower academics will typically sit out a year while attending a prep school before their plebe (first) year at an academy.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Pro

Pielet's Arena

Tate,

I was simply stating that their are no "athletic" scholarships at academies. To get into the academy one must have a congressional sponsor and other numerous items. Athletes typically who have lower academic qualifications will be allowed to enroll in prep schools for a year before their plebe (first) year at an academy. The only exception to a congressional sponsorship is the USCGA (Coast Guard academy) in Connecticut.

It is also required that EVERY student at an academy be involved in some intramural athletic activity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »