Home

The Hometown Team Debate.

This is a discussion on The Hometown Team Debate. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55
The Hometown Team Debate.

I always get this whenever someone asks me who I am a fan of. People will honestly bitch at me for not being a Panthers fan even though I live in Charlotte. They also wonder why I am a Dodgers fan if I am on the East Coast.

What do you guys think, does it really matter who you root for, home team or not?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: The Hometown Team Debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
I always get this whenever someone asks me who I am a fan of. People will honestly bitch at me for not being a Panthers fan even though I live in Charlotte. They also wonder why I am a Dodgers fan if I am on the East Coast.

What do you guys think, does it really matter who you root for, home team or not?
There is a debate in the college football along the lines of rooting for more than one team, which is different than this but just saying.

I think everyone acquires their favorite team in one way or another and no way is really "wrong" unless you bandwagon...I guess.

I pretty much dropped following sports aside from college football as I aged but technically, when I was a kid, here it was and why...

NCAA: Ohio State - I'm from Ohio!

NBA: Lakers - I had an uncle who lived in LA and as a kid he would fly me out there and a Laker game was always the highlight of the trip.

NFL: Giants - My older brother somehow acquired a Giants helmet when I was very young. I used to wear it and so there ya go.

MLB: Tigers - I have no clue why but since it surely wasn't due to them winning...it's a safe pick.

Not changing sig until Florida gets their 2nd road win outside the South since 1965 (first was Rutgers in 1986) 9/28/10
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

I was born in Pittsburgh, my parents were born in Pittsburgh, my grandparents were born in Pittsburgh so my loyalty is firmly rooted in Pittsburgh Sports and I honestly hate it when I see native Pittsburghers who don't root for a Pittsburgh team. I have relatives born in Pittsburgh but who now live in in West Chester, PA and just outside Raleigh but they for the most part still always root for the Pittsburgh team over the local team. Only exception is my aunt, but she gets a pass because she actually works at N.C. State so she roots for them instead of Pitt. I think you should always be loyal to your hometown team assuming your hometown has a team. If your hometown doesn't have a team in a sport is is outside a major sports market then you are free to root for whoever you want.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 10-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
I was born in Pittsburgh, my parents were born in Pittsburgh, my grandparents were born in Pittsburgh so my loyalty is firmly rooted in Pittsburgh Sports and I honestly hate it when I see native Pittsburghers who don't root for a Pittsburgh team. I have relatives born in Pittsburgh but who now live in in West Chester, PA and just outside Raleigh but they for the most part still always root for the Pittsburgh team over the local team. Only exception is my aunt, but she gets a pass because she actually works at N.C. State so she roots for them instead of Pitt. I think you should always be loyal to your hometown team assuming your hometown has a team. If your hometown doesn't have a team in a sport is is outside a major sports market then you are free to root for whoever you want.
Were you eating a sandwich from Primanti Bros. and listening to DVE as you typed that out cuz it is 100% Pittsburgh mentality?

But hey, gotta love Da Burgh.

Not changing sig until Florida gets their 2nd road win outside the South since 1965 (first was Rutgers in 1986) 9/28/10
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Usually you should root for the team you grew up watching. If you move later in life, then you should continue rooting for that team. If you live in a place for a long time though, you probably will develop some sentiment for the home team, unless they are a rival team. You might cheer for them from time to time and think it is good when they win, but you don't need to root for them or buy merchandise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I think it's dumb. No law saying I need to root for home teams. I was born in Fresno so there were no real "home" teams, even though we got certain teams on TV all the time. If I went by that, I'd be a 49ers/Warriors/Giants fan. I like my teams because I fell in love with them, and that would never change no matter where I moved. Braves because they were always on TBS, Suns because I got brainwashed by my bro, Texans because I never had a favorite team in football, and I figured "hey, why not?". Sabres because I liked using them in video games in the past and when I really started getting into hockey a couple years ago, I loved their playing style and the "hockey"-ness of Buffalo.

Long story short, there are a ton of reasons you fall in love with a team. No one should be bound to hometown teams.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

If you grew up in a major city like Chicago, New York or Boston then you really do have root for the hometown because those cities take their sports teams SERIOUS.

I grew up in Chicago......so for me.......

Da Bears !

Da Bulls !

Da White Sox ! F the Cubs and the whole prima donna northside of Chicago !

Da Blackhawks !!!!!!

Now I live in Vermont........so I see the Red Sox, Yankees, Patriots, Giants, Jets, Buffaloes, Bruins, Knicks, Celtics games all day everyday. Living in New England you got to support the New England team eating lobster rollls, steaks, drinking that home brew
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
If you grew up in a major city like Chicago, New York or Boston then you really do have root for the hometown because those cities take their sports teams SERIOUS.

Ditto for Philadelphia.

For me its all about the Eagles 1st with the Phillies a close 2nd. The Flyers a distant 3rd and the Sixers a VERY distant 4th.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »