Home

Starting a *Coach Only* Dynasty

This is a discussion on Starting a *Coach Only* Dynasty within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8
Starting a *Coach Only* Dynasty

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile - I want to start a dynasty where I all I handle is the coaching and let the GM handle the drafting/trading/free agent signings. I think this would present a unique challenge (because controlling the draft picks is decidedly not a challenge anymore).

Once I figure out which team I'm going to be and some of the ground rules I'll post weekly updates here. I don't think I want to be a lousy team to start out with since I'll have no say in player acquisition, and as a result, I'd probably be fired after the first season. I love taking over crappy teams though, so I may still do that.

As for the ground rules, I'm thinking I'll allow myself to sign free agents after the draft, as there shouldn't be too many really good players to sign anyway (I don't want too many gaping holes, lol). I'll also allow myself to resign the players I want to keep so I can manage the cap without getting into too much trouble (not sure I can trust the computer to keep up with this aspect without getting me fired!).

So what I want from you, if you have any interest in keeping up with this, is to pick the team, playbooks for both offense and defense and maybe some other ground rules I haven't already written above. (Just as an aside, I don't want to have to add too many plays, so please pick playbooks with at least average-level strength or above).

I'll probably start this up tomorrow, so if nobody chimes in, I'll just pick a team and playbooks and start from there. I hope to post new updates at least once a week until I get fired, lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 12
Re: Starting a *Coach Only* Dynasty

Go for it man, excellent idea.
I'm so theoretical and unimaginable you can almost say I don't exist.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Good idea, but the playbooks should be based on the team. If you pick the Eagles the Power run woul dnot be a wise choice and you shoul duse a 4-3 defense since the players on the roster fit that.

Maybe create a short list of options and then pick playbooks for those teams.

It would suck to pick the Vikes and use a 3-4 and have one of the williams wall on the bench, lol. as an example.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

dunno what team to use, but i wouldn't mind seeing a spread option offence, and 3-3-5 defence
Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

You could use the Bucaneers and use something other than Tampa 2 defense. I tried that and had my hands full during games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Rookie

Grizz83's Arena

OVR: 1

I recently did this as well. My rules, GM handles signing/drafting/re-signing/trades, I handle coaching/scouting/cuts/position changes.

I took the Dolphins with a created coach Panthers offence and Raiders Defense. Took the Dolphins cause I wanted a good GM and a poor but fixable roster (there is no way I would do this with the Lions).

I was disappointed with how the GM ran the draft. He traded a lot, but traded up and traded away future picks. He drafted D McFadden, T Laws (DT), D Jackson (WR), and A Woodson. Undrafted B Moffett (LB), G Schwartz (RT) Radovich (LG), K Bierman (LOLB) and someone else I don't remember who got cut. Traded away Ricky Williams, Traded for Alge(sp?) Crumpler (TE) and J Page (FS moved to SS for scheme). Notable FA signings T Spikes (ROLB moved to MLB).

I like the players he got me, just not what he gave up to get them. Next season I only have picks in round 1,2,and 4.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

If philosphy is heavy trade that can happen, plus you can pick trade down vs trade up I belive for the GM. He will do things differently as you change that.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Had to work unexpectedly this weekend so I couldn't start it up on Saturday like I'd hoped, but will do so soon. I like the idea of using the spread offense and 3-3-5 defense since I have yet to use either. I may go with that. The hard part would be finding a team to use those two with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »