Home

Strategies for Success In NBA 2k11

This is a discussion on Strategies for Success In NBA 2k11 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Strategies for Success In NBA 2k11

Please post all the proven strategies for success you have found for the game. I created this thread because I'm tired of having to search through a gazillion posts to find strategies for success. Feel free to also post what you like about the game. Please...nothing negative here or about how the game is allegedly broken. Also, don't talk about what you don't like - there are plenty of other threads for that.

At any rate, please include anything that you found helps in any mode of the game. Also, video demonstrations would be great. I will soon create a youtube account to do that.

I will start:

I have learned that practice really, really pays off. My suggestion: learn perhaps two plays for each starter on your team, then pick them as randomly as possible so that the CPU doesn't hone in on what you are doing. Of course, if your team has just one star player, then you might be stuck and just have to learn all the plays for him.

Last edited by ZoneBlitz; 10-15-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Strategies for Success In NBA 2k11

I feel like to be successful in this game you just have to have a "flow" on offense. It's kind of hard to describe, you just have to feel it. You have to watch for players coming off screens, or wait for them to get some spacing for an open shot. Also I've noticed that when you have a guy open, you have to be ready to shoot the ball right when he gets it, no hesitation.

That's pretty much the way I play...
Old 10-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phins86
I feel like to be successful in this game you just have to have a "flow" on offense. It's kind of hard to describe, you just have to feel it. You have to watch for players coming off screens, or wait for them to get some spacing for an open shot. Also I've noticed that when you have a guy open, you have to be ready to shoot the ball right when he gets it, no hesitation.

That's pretty much the way I play...
I noticed that also. You really have to shoot immediately and not pause. I play on All-Star/Sim, what level do you play on?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Online... Always

I also love the post game this year. I've been playing with the Jazz and Paul Millsap is a BEAST. Love dumping it in to him and letting him dominate. Then the double teams start coming and I'll kick out to my guards for an open three. Man I'm lovin this game
Old 10-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

One thing that will help is to stick with one team and learn that team inside and out. Learn your team's strengths and weaknesses. Pick plays that setup your player's strengths. For example, I play with the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies have a very good front court, so I look to go to the post a lot with Randolph and Gasol. I also have 3 good shooters with Mayo, Gay, and Henry so I mix in plays where they come off screens for mid range shots. Like someone else said, try to get in a flow on offense, once you know what it feels like, you will increase your fg % by a few points.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers3
One thing that will help is to stick with one team and learn that team inside and out. Learn your team's strengths and weaknesses. Pick plays that setup your player's strengths. For example, I play with the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies have a very good front court, so I look to go to the post a lot with Randolph and Gasol. I also have 3 good shooters with Mayo, Gay, and Henry so I mix in plays where they come off screens for mid range shots. Like someone else said, try to get in a flow on offense, once you know what it feels like, you will increase your fg % by a few points.
Sounds good. What level do you play on and what camera angle do you use?

I'm thinking that I will really learn the Knicks inside-out.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Rookie

agree with the "flow" comment. KNOW YOUR STRENGTHS. I play with the Trailblazers and having a strong bench has been a focus for me because this team is a walking injury waiting to happen. When healthy, Oden, Aldridge and Camby is a rebounding nightmare for opponents so I'm comfortable throwing up (good) shots with Roy and Batum. Portland is a slow(er) team, so fastbreaks are not as common. Know your team's natural pace and stick to it. Study your opponent and exploit mismatches. This year, it really matters. If you like to play more than coach, set Offensive Plays to AUTO, but run through them first in practice to get used to the timing. Finally, ADJUST. If you run the same plays, the CPU will pick up on your patterns. Use TC passing to change the passing angles.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Rookie

Also, don't always use turbo when driving. The defense has a way of cutting you off quickly. Use it with the last steps before shooting. I don't know if this is cheese or not, but I've had more success with this than with trying to turbo every time I want to drive. One more thing: Accept your losses and learn from them. If you are winning EVERY game with a mid-tier team, your settings are too low. The Lakers took me to town in our first meeting and exploited my weaknesses. But it helped me when I made adjustments to my gameplan. I still loss to them again, but it was an OT game and I had injuries in my starting lineup. I can't wait to meet them again!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »