Home

Wow... My Player Mode Is Unplayable

This is a discussion on Wow... My Player Mode Is Unplayable within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0
Wow... My Player Mode Is Unplayable

Let me just say that I think they made a huge mistake by making your player start out as a upper 30's/ low 40's overall. I understand they want you to have to struggle to become a superstar and all this stuff, but at the very least your guy should start out as a 60 or 65 or somewhere in that area. You're expected to try to make the NBA with a 40 overall player, which happens to be the EXACT same rating as the worst rated player in the NBA free agency pool, its just ridiculous. I know there are some people who like the challenge of playing 5 grueling seasons in the D-League just to get your player up to a 65 overall rating but I think a lot of us would rather play in the NBA through the eyes of a young stud, not a young scrub. I wanted to begin a legendary career, take a run at the scoring title, win some MVP's, etc. How am I supposed to do that with such a BAD player? I realize you can make him better through completing challenges and objectives in summer league games, D-league games, etc. The problem is, that takes seasons and seasons to get them to respectable ratings. LeBron James didn't have to play 5 years in the d-league to become great. Some of us want to play with GREAT players, not garbage players.

I think the mode would be GREAT if not for this, its got a lot of depth and a lot of cool things that made me really want to play it. In fact its the whole reason I bought the game, I love playing career modes like this. I've played through no less than 5 full careers in NCAA football 10 and 11 playing all 50+ games in each career. I've played many NFL Superstar's in Madden over the past few years. This type of mode is right up my alley, I just think they missed the mark by making your player soooooooooooooooooo sh!tty to start out with.

Now i'm not saying your rookie should come into the NBA as a 90 overall, I'm just saying make it a little bit more realistic. Future NBA superstars don't struggle in the d-league or the bench for years just to get a starting job. Thats what journeymen do.

Make the rookies start out anywhere from high 50's to mid 70's depending on your pre-draft workouts and your draft position. Somebody who is the last pick in the 2nd round, yeah he can be a 55 or 58 or something. Somebody who is drafted in the top half of the 1st round should be atleast a 70. Look at the ratings of the average My Player when he gets drafted. If you were running a franchise mode and you drafted a player with that rating in the 1st round, you would be FURIOUS. I just think they really dropped the ball on this aspect of the mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Wow... My Player Mode Is Unplayable

While I'm largely in love with the My Player mode, I certainly agree with this complaint. I don't wanna start out as some noob with low as heck ratings in the most fundamental categories in the NBA. It's still reasonably enjoyable for me to work myself up from those morbid ratings, but seriously, being rated 40something coming into the NBA isn't realistic at all.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Rookie

Eclipso's Arena

OVR: 8

I hear what your saying about the OVR however I was drafted first round, didnt go to the D league, started on the bench getting A+ ratings as well as plenty other people who play this mode.

Last edited by Eclipso; 10-25-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16

While it's not unplayable by any means, I completely agree with everything you said. It's just not realistic to play in the NBA with such low ratings. I don't like getting drafted in the first round only to find out Coby Karl is a better player than me.

To all those concerned about My Player being too easy if they increased the starting ratings, they could simply make progression more difficult, and that would balance things out. Also, there could be an option of whether or not to take your My Player online, and if you opted to do so, obtaining high ratings would be more difficult than if you opted to stay offline only. Problem solved.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipso
I hear what your saying about the OVR however I was drafted first round, didnt go to the D league, started on the bench getting A+ ratings as well as plenty other people who play this mode.
The fact that we're forced to start off in the NBA as scrubs was really my only complaint. I was drafted 13th in the first round, didn't go to the D-League and got to be 6th man relatively quickly. But that in and of itself, even being drafted in the first round while having scrub ratings is a little off as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

im at the end of my rookie year and im a 76... You have to know how to invest your points correctly when you get them. its not hard at all. and it doesnt make the mode unplayable what so ever, i think you are over-reacting because you dont want to invest the time and you it to come easy.

Last edited by osubeavs721; 10-25-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
im at the end of my rookie year and im a 76... You have to know how to invest your points when you get them. its not hard at all. and it doesnt make the mode unplayable what so ever, i think you are over-reacting because you dont want to invest the time and you it to come easy.
Exactly.

What does it matter if your ranked lower than the worst player in the FA pool if your still scoring 25 ppg, making the All-Star team and winning MVP in your first year. I have to stop my player from 30 points every game and he's not even a 60 yet. I hate to say this to people, but this really seems to be the case with you people saying that My Player is too hard:

You suck at this game.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha.Pink.Pantha
Exactly.

What does it matter if your ranked lower than the worst player in the FA pool if your still scoring 25 ppg, making the All-Star team and winning MVP in your first year. I have to stop my player from 30 points every game and he's not even a 60 yet. I hate to say this to people, but this really seems to be the case with you people saying that My Player is too hard:

You suck at this game.
No one's saying the mode is too hard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »