Home

Developing a website

This is a discussion on Developing a website within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Pro

Cane_Mutiny's Arena

OVR: 11
Developing a website

Hey OSers. I'm in the process of developing a website with a good friend of mine, and knowing that a lot of you guys are far more technologically-capable than we are, I figured I'd post about it and see if I could get any feedback.

The site is MisplacedHumor.com. The website is a continuation of an underground joke newspaper we did in high school (we're in college now). It's going to be something of a blog format, with the two of us regularly writing different humorous columns. We also want to incorporate videos and a few "fake news" features as well.

Anyway, the major question I have currently is about how to create comment sections for our posts. From what I understand, the best way to do this is with a PHP script connected to a MySQL database. The web hosting plan I'm looking at right now includes 2 MySQL databases - would this be enough to host comment sections on several posts a week?

But any type of feedback (design, content, any general ideas) would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep you updated as I develop the site more and more.

Thanks!
That a life without knowledge is death in disguise?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Developing a website

So you're doing The Onion?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Developing a website

For what you might be doing, have you thought about using Wordpress? It's a blogging software but you can use it to make real nice website if you have a good template.

Plus you can expand it and make it look awesome with a bunch of templates you can use for free or buy a really nice one from a company that make specific wordpress templates. It's very easy to use and you can find free tutorials everywhere and watch youtube to learn it.

Very easy to expand by using different plugins that are free or you can buy. You don't have to worry about scripting at all. And the best part...its FREE!

Most popular hosting companies will have it pre packaged in with your hosting or you can download it from wordpress.org.
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »