Home

What is your preferred Playoff System?

This is a discussion on What is your preferred Playoff System? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
What is your preferred Playoff System?

We probably don't need yet another pipe dream playoff thread, but I can't help myself.

What is your preferred Playoff System? And how would it have worked out this year?

If I had my way, the regular season would end one week earlier (teams will have to give up a bye week...or those matchups with the Charleston Southern's of the world). Then simply take the BCS top 8, and games are played on campus the first two weekends in December.

So this year, the first round would have been on Dec 4th:
5)Wisconsin at 4)Stanford
8)Oklahoma at 1)Auburn
6)Ohio St at 3)TCU (Sisters of the poor game! )
7)Arkansas at 2) Oregon

*There would be some rules about conference foes facing each other in the first round, so Arkansas and OU swap seeds.

Round 2 would be on Dec 11th, again on campus of the higher seed. Then the championship would be decided in whatever bowl it is this year, and the 6 losing teams would go on to the same consolation bowls they will be playing in.

#9 Michigan State is left out in the cold, but there has to be a cut off somewhere. Sorry Spartans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: What is your preferred Playoff System?

24 teams. Have the top 8 seeded and give them 1st round byes(thus making the regular season count as much as it does today). Give every conference champ an automatic bid meaning 13 at-large bids. Keep the BCS ranking system and use that to determine home teams in the opening round.

To make it work, switch to 11 game schedules and have all conference champions decided by the last Saturday in November. Then start the playoffs the next Saturday with the opening round and the next Saturday with the 2nd round, etc. Then, have the national title game 10 days after the semifinals. The national title game would never occur later than January 7th.

Also, have the national title game in Dallas every year.

I guess I'll add what the matchups may have been...

Texas A&M
Alabama
--winner plays @ (1)Auburn

Nebraska
Nevada
--winner plays @(2)Oregon

Mississippi State
Oklahoma State
--winner plays @(3)TCU

West Virginia
Virginia Tech
--winner plays @(4)Stanford

Connecticut
Missouri
--winner plays @(5)Wisconsin

Central Florida
LSU
--winner plays @(6)Ohio State

Northern Illinois
Boise State
--winner plays @(7)Oklahoma

Florida International
Michigan State
--winner plays @(8)Arkansas

Some solid 1st round games(especially WVU/VT and MSU/OSU). I'd love to see an Iron Bowl in the playoffs. The atmosphere would be unreal.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."

Last edited by Husker_OS; 12-24-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

16 teams.

Conference champs get auto bids. At larges selected by NCAA Committee (similar to NCAABB). Games at the higher seeded team's home stadium, until the championship game which is played in a decided upon location.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsbuck
16 teams.

Conference champs get auto bids. At larges selected by NCAA Committee (similar to NCAABB). Games at the higher seeded team's home stadium, until the championship game which is played in a decided upon location.
This. Except at larges are determined by BCS standings (or some other ranking system).

Also, only two teams per conference. Seeds are rearanged to prevent rematches until as late as possible but only by one or two seeds. First two rounds are at the higher seed. The two semifinals, finals and third place games are alternated each year between the four BCS bowls.

Each team gets rid of one regular season bye week and the first round is played the week after the CCGs with one game on Thursday and Friday (when scheduling you make sure teams who played the previous Satuday don't play their first round game until Saturday). This year the first round would be Dec. 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Second round, Dec 9th, 10th and 11th. Skip Christmas weekend. Semis on the 1st. Finals and the third place game on the 8th.

1 Auburn (SEC)
16 FIU (Sunbelt)

8 Oklahoma (Big XII)
9 Boise State (WAC)

5 Wisconsin (BigTen)
12 Virginia Tech (ACC)

4 Stanford (At-Large)
13 UCF (C-USA)

14 UConn (Big East)
3 TCU (MWC)

11 Nevada (At-Large)
6 Ohio State (At-Large)

10 Missouri (At-Large)
7 Arkansas (At-Large)

15 Miami, OH (MAC)
2 Oregon (PAC 10)

Husker, why Dallas?
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR

Last edited by boisejames; 12-24-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6
I am against any system that does not have Miami automatically in the National Championship. I of course might be kidding.

Top 8 BCS teams would be my ideal playoff system. Anything more than that and you will be risking 3 loss teams playing for the NC. I would place a rule in which a team will have a .05 or .1 deducted from the BCS score for each non FBS team played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes6812
I am against any system that does not have Miami automatically in the National Championship. I of course might be kidding.

Top 8 BCS teams would be my ideal playoff system. Anything more than that and you will be risking 3 loss teams playing for the NC. I would place a rule in which a team will have a .05 or .1 deducted from the BCS score for each non FBS team played.
The NCAA Basketball Tournament risks 10+ loss teams playing in the National Championship, yet it never happens. The same would apply here.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

16 teams, bcs automatic conference winners are in then the at large decided by the BCS rankings. Home games are played at their respective home fields until the final four similar to NCAAB is played in a large neutral site(NFL stadiums)
Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
The NCAA Basketball Tournament risks 10+ loss teams playing in the National Championship, yet it never happens. The same would apply here.
NCAA Basketball Tournament also doesn't take the 65 best teams in the country. I guess a 16 team playoff wouldn't be too bad, but I would stick to 8 teams and everyone else that qualifies go to bowl games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »