Home

Official WWE Smackdown Thread

This is a discussion on Official WWE Smackdown Thread within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30
Official WWE Smackdown Thread

Thought I'd start this just so that people, like myself, have a place they can go to talk about Smackdown. Whether it be comments on the weekly shows or the superstars in general.

First off, shout out to my man 55. I've been appreciating actual wrestling ability more lately since getting back into it. I think a lot of that has to do with you. I used to not care about Ziggler. But he's definitely grown on me and now I really enjoy when he gets in the ring. He's definitely not boring to me anymore at all.

He's also getting a push. As of last week, he became number one contender for the World Heavyweight Title. I'm looking forward to seeing the feud between he and Edge goes. Do you guys think he's ready for the main event picture yet?

And Kofi won the IC Title which I believe will set up a Kofi/Swagger feud. I know 55 will be happy with that.

And a small tidbit: Drew Mcyntire (sp?) has to have the BEST theme music EVER. Does anybody else feel that way? Or is it just me? lol

Discuss

Last edited by TMagic; 01-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
MVP

Santino's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Official WWE Smackdown Thread 2011

The first SmackDown of 2011 was a great show, top to bottom. Losing Punk to RAW and Christian to injury really hurt them last year but they always seem to bounce back with solid programming.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Yeah. It was a pretty good show. What I liked was that it was a good show without much dialogue at all. I think Del Rio spoke in the ring quickly before his match and Drew spoke to Kelly backstage. I think that was it. The rest of the show was pure wrasslin'. Lol

Wade Barrett also made his presence felt on Smackdown. So is it correct for me to assume that he's now part of the Smackdown roster?

And if thats the case, the show has plenty of heels. Del Rio, Drew, Ziggler, Rhodes, Swagger, Kane, and now Barrett. But only a few main faces Rey, Edge, Show, and Kofi.

Any of you guys see that as a problem?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Thought I'd start this just so that people, like myself, have a place they can go to talk about Smackdown. Whether it be comments on the weekly shows or the superstars in general.
Great idea for a thread, especially since SmackDown isn't live like Raw and is broadcast on Friday nights when most folks aren't home. I try my best to watch it on Fridays when it is broadcast, but more often than not I watch it on the DVR when I come home if I end up going out that night.

Quote:
First off, shout out to my man 55. I've been appreciating actual wrestling ability more lately since getting back into it. I think a lot of that has to do with you. I used to not care about Ziggler. But he's definitely grown on me and now I really enjoy when he gets in the ring. He's definitely not boring to me anymore at all.
I am so happy to hear that, man. I really enjoy the entertainment aspect of wrestling myself, but I am much more intrigued by a guy if he can mix it up with the best of them inside the ring. Ziggler is one of the best in-ring competitors in the WWE today but since he doesn't really have a gimmick, a lot of people are sleeping on him. Truth is, he can work a match with anyone and make it look good and while he certainly lacks mic skills, he more than makes up for it with his ability to tell a story in the ring. You all know the old saying, "Actions speak louder than words." Ziggler is pretty much the epitome of that.

Quote:
He's also getting a push. As of last week, he became number one contender for the World Heavyweight Title. I'm looking forward to seeing the feud between he and Edge goes. Do you guys think he's ready for the main event picture yet?
I really like the fact that he is getting a nice push since, as I stated above, he is just a phenomenal wrestler. I don't think he is ready to actually win the title yet, but it's great to see another guy (especially one that can work like Ziggler) at least get a shot at it, at one of the "Big Four" PPV events no less. He has so much ability that he is bound to go places one day. Imagine if he actually did win it though. That would mean that BOTH world champions in the WWE were from Cleveland. ExtremeGamer and OSUFan_88 have to be excited about that possibility!

Quote:
And Kofi won the IC Title which I believe will set up a Kofi/Swagger feud. I know 55 will be happy with that.
I am absolutely ecstatic about this potential feud. These two guys have such amazing chemistry with each other in the ring that it's not even funny. Possibly the best in-ring chemistry with each other out of any twosome in the WWE (with an honorable mention going to Sheamus and John Morrison) right now. My dream would be to see a "Best of 7" series between Swagger and Kingston a la Benoit and Booker T from the 90s. That would be so awesome that the world would explode!

Quote:
And a small tidbit: Drew Mcyntire (sp?) has to have the BEST theme music EVER. Does anybody else feel that way? Or is it just me? lol
I think the vast majority of us here (myself included) would be inclined to agree with you about that. His theme song, Titantron video and entrance style are all top notch and fit his character perfectly.

Quote:
Discuss
There's a hell of a lot to get excited about on SmackDown right now.

1. Edge is a 10 time world champion is starting a program with a fresh young face who is awesome in the ring and has never had a shot at the big one yet.

2. Two of the best wrestlers in the WWE are going to be feuding over the Intercontinental title in the coming weeks.

3. Wade Barrett is now on SmackDown and he is extremely entertaining to me. It's cool to see him immediately go after the "World's Largest Athlete" to make a statement on his new show. It will be interesting to see where they go with his character post-Nexus.

4. Ezekiel Jackson is now on SmackDown and I am HUGE on him. His upside is unlimited.

5. Alberto Del Rio is an exciting young heel on the verge of main event status and is always a joy to watch.

6. Other young guys to watch on SmackDown: McIntyre, Rhodes, Hawkins and Barreta.

7. Both Christian and Undertaker will eventually be returning and both have feuds to come back to.

8. The possibility of less Rey Mysterio to deal with in the future. Read the spoiler thread for more info.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
MVP

Santino's Arena

OVR: 7

Zeke and a returning Christian would help the face/heel ratio out. I'd like to see Swagger go serious babyface. Something like Kurt Angle's Wrestling Machine gimmick right before he left the WWE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santino
Zeke and a returning Christian would help the face/heel ratio out. I'd like to see Swagger go serious babyface. Something like Kurt Angle's Wrestling Machine gimmick right before he left the WWE.

I always thought this as well. I think he wouldn't even need to change his gimmick much.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

I've never been the biggest fan of Smackdown when compared to Raw, but this year has started off with a bang! Del Rio, Rhodes, Swagger, and now Barrett will no doubt carry the show for me.

I thought tonight's show was phenomenal.

Baretta going over McIntyre was interesting. Hopefully Trent will grow on me but right now he's kind of bland.

Edge and Dolph were interesting. Kind of cool that they used Edge's history with Vickie to fuel the rivalry. Dolph is already improving on the mic which is great, but he is still boring, IMO. That Zig Zag on the steps was SICK!

Kofi-Swagger.... gold as always, but I thought Swagger needed the win much more to keep the rivalry going. Maybe they're going to end the rivalry soon? Kofi has plenty of midcard heels to feud with for awhile if they want him to have a nice long run (Rhodes, McIntyre, Wade's lackeys, Del Rio, back to Swagger and Dolph), etc.

Finally, new Nexus was awesome!! I hoped this would happen in the Raw thread, and now I'm hoping this was the plan all along and Punk and Barrett are secretly in cahoots with a plan to take over the entire WWE. I love the edition of Ezekiel. He was NOT working as a face (no reaction), and his limited mic skills make him the perfect enforcer for a stable such as this. I thought he kind of had no direction, but he'll be great with Wade as his mouthpiece as he destroys people in Nexus style beatdowns. Again, this is the perfect role for Zeke (midcard/enforcer) and his presence alone does so much for new Nexus. He alone makes them such a force.

Great show.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I've never been the biggest fan of Smackdown when compared to Raw, but this year has started off with a bang! Del Rio, Rhodes, Swagger, and now Barrett will no doubt carry the show for me.

I thought tonight's show was phenomenal.

Baretta going over McIntyre was interesting. Hopefully Trent will grow on me but right now he's kind of bland.

Edge and Dolph were interesting. Kind of cool that they used Edge's history with Vickie to fuel the rivalry. Dolph is already improving on the mic which is great, but he is still boring, IMO. That Zig Zag on the steps was SICK!

Kofi-Swagger.... gold as always, but I thought Swagger needed the win much more to keep the rivalry going. Maybe they're going to end the rivalry soon? Kofi has plenty of midcard heels to feud with for awhile if they want him to have a nice long run (Rhodes, McIntyre, Wade's lackeys, Del Rio, back to Swagger and Dolph), etc.

Finally, new Nexus was awesome!! I hoped this would happen in the Raw thread, and now I'm hoping this was the plan all along and Punk and Barrett are secretly in cahoots with a plan to take over the entire WWE. I love the edition of Ezekiel. He was NOT working as a face (no reaction), and his limited mic skills make him the perfect enforcer for a stable such as this. I thought he kind of had no direction, but he'll be great with Wade as his mouthpiece as he destroys people in Nexus style beatdowns. Again, this is the perfect role for Zeke (midcard/enforcer) and his presence alone does so much for new Nexus. He alone makes them such a force.

Great show.
Agreed on all counts.

I really laugh at all the "have to let Barrett go on his own" comments with the moaning about him in a new group, or that he formed a new group.

Barrett is money on the mic and really impressive in the ring. But he's that type of guy who needs a group. Nothing wrong with that, Flair owned the 80's and 90's and always needed a group. I like the dynamics of a 4 man group. This new Nexus group is very Horsemen-esque in their set up. Now I'm not comparing them, so don't jump down my throat, just saying that the feel is similar.

And was it me or does the group look weird without the arm bands? I kept looking at Barrett, and then Slater & Gabriel, and thinking something was missing. LOL

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »