Home

Minor League Development

This is a discussion on Minor League Development within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
sk
God's Son.

sk's Arena

OVR: 3
Minor League Development

I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but does it seem like the players in your minor leagues (AA and AAA) never develop?

It seems as though that while they might have great seasons, Sub 3 ERA/.300+ BA, their ratings don't seem to go up so I can't really bring along a prospect and bring up to the show.

Again, I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but this is why OP exists right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: Minor League Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisxsong
I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but does it seem like the players in your minor leagues (AA and AAA) never develop?

It seems as though that while they might have great seasons, Sub 3 ERA/.300+ BA, their ratings don't seem to go up so I can't really bring along a prospect and bring up to the show.

Again, I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but this is why OP exists right?
Actually, I think most of the time people had problems with prospects developing TOO fast, and then the franchise being loaded with 22 year old phenoms.

I do, however, feel that players develop too much based on their "potential" grade, and not their stats. I have had prospects with a "C" potential have great years for me, but never really improve at all, while I've seen prospects with "A" potentials jump a ton in development after an average season.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
I do, however, feel that players develop too much based on their "potential" grade, and not their stats. I have had prospects with a "C" potential have great years for me, but never really improve at all, while I've seen prospects with "A" potentials jump a ton in development after an average season.
This is how their progression system is I think.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

my minor leaguers have always progressed just fine. Maybe too good at times.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

As of right now....progression is based on potential and training.
Like others have said...sometimes it was TOO good....hence why a lot of us went to no training for all teams in '10. Both was actually causing players to get way too good....way too fast.
IMO....to base progression on stats wouldn't really work...at least as the main thrust of progression....and at least until a certain age.

There are plenty of guys who rip it up at the minor league level.....and if weighted as a stat heavy progression would be automatic beasts at the MLB level...when it doesn't always happen that way.

IMO....progression has to be the toughest thing to program.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Like others have said...sometimes it was TOO good....hence why a lot of us went to no training for all teams in '10. Both was actually causing players to get way too good....way too fast.
IMO....to base progression on stats wouldn't really work...at least as the main thrust of progression....and at least until a certain age.

There are plenty of guys who rip it up at the minor league level.....and if weighted as a stat heavy progression would be automatic beasts at the MLB level...when it doesn't always happen that way.

M.K.
Knight165
agreed 100%. The balance between stats and natural progression is a fine line to adhere to.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
I just feel it needs to be balanced more. Because otherwise I feel like I have no reason to keep a prospect with a C or D potential, because they hardly ever improve that ratings, while I feel even if a A potential player has a terrible year, he will improve no matter what. In real life, yeah, you don't really weigh minor league stats that much, you actually look at the player in live action, but in the video game world I think we are more bound to judging their talents based on their stats.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

There should be at least a 25% incorporation of stats. Otherwise, why play the minor leagues and have a great season with your B potential SS when he's never going to become a big prospect? Not to mention, stats are used a lot these days in prospect analysis, specifically strikeouts and walks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »