Home

Hitting and your TV

This is a discussion on Hitting and your TV within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Pro

pokerlife's Arena

OVR: 7
Hitting and your TV

Sup guys

I know there was a thread last year that had to do with switching your TV to game mode.

I just bought a brand new Samsung TV this season and my hitting is horrible. I'm always late on fastballs and strikeout 10 times per game.

So woke up today and just switched my TV to game mode and wow what a difference. I was early on every single pitch . I may have to even bump pitch speed up . I also could lay off bad pitches a lot easier.

Also get this. My first time pitching i releasing every thing high and miss the little meter early every pitch.

The only bad thing is i now notice little jaggies around the batters helmet and there shoes. Ill just have to live with that because i can finally hit

No matter how new your TV is guys ,if your having a tough time hitting give game mode a try.

Last edited by pokerlife; 03-15-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Hitting and your TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerlife
Sup guys

I know there was a thread last year that had to do with switching your TV to game mode.

I just a brand new Samsung TV this season and my hitting is horrible. I'm always late on fastballs and strikeout 10 times per game.

So woke up today and just switched my TV to game mode and wow what a difference. I was early on every single pitch . I may have to even bump pitch speed up . I also could lay off bad pitches a lot easier.

Also get this. My first time pitching i releasing every thing high and miss the little meter early every pitch.

The only bad thing is i now notice little jaggies around the batters helmet and there shoes. Ill just have to live with that because i can finally hit

No matter how new your TV is guys ,if your having a tough time hitting give game mode a try.
What is your samsung model#. Do you switch any other settings besides turning on gamemode? Curious because I have a samsung c8000 upstairs that I had the same problem, swinging way late etc.

I am using my 2 yr old sony xbr and The Show looks wonderfull but will try the samsung again later and check out the 3d options.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 3

I have a brand new Sharp Aquos 46 inch, and now im wondering if thats the reason why im constantly late swinging. And yes ive practiced for about 3 to 4 hrs in the batting cage, and nothing changes with me.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

hmmmmm I'm gonna try this I'll report back with my findings.

PSN maestro3445

Celtics,Pats,Bruins NHL ,and Red Sox.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerlife
Sup guys

I just a brand new Samsung TV this season and my hitting is horrible. I'm always late on fastballs and strikeout 10 times per game.

I've tried everything and I'm behind fastballs. Normally a great hitter. I cannot pick it up!

Sure enough, just got a brand new Samsung in the gaming offseason.

How do I switch it to Game mode? Thanks for the tip
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Pro

pokerlife's Arena

Here is the TV i have
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32B6...=operasport-20
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
Pro

pokerlife's Arena

Bedpan on my TV to switch to game mode i goto menu then to setup and the option is in there..

I also tried batting cages and no matter what i tried i felt like every pitch i was just wailing away and hoping because the timing was pure luck every time it felt.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

There have been several threads over the years on this topic.

I've seen it first hand...

I used to have a 50" Hitachi rear projection LCD TV. It had little to no lag (I know all TV's lag). I didn't know anything about this back then.

Then I picked up a 40" Samsung LCD flat panel (about 4 years ago) for my bedroom and baseball is unplayable on that TV, even with "Game Mode" turned on. I have tried everything to fix it...I even purchased one of those fancy "HDFury" things that is supposed to allow HDMI input through the VGA port, which theoretically removes all lag. Sadly I couldn't get it to work on that TV. It was a minor issue anyways because I don't normally play on that TV.

Last January my 50" RP TV died and it was replaced with a Samsung 50" plasma TV. This TV suffers from a little bit of lag, it's better with "Game Mode" but it's still there. I have kind of learned to deal with it, but it is still noticeable to me. I've tried all of the suggested 'fixes' but I can't get it to go away completely.

It would be great if SCEA were somehow able to incorporate a calibration setting like Rock Band and Guitar Hero have

I copied this from an old thread that I replied to (Full Thread Here)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for fun, here is a little test for you to get an idea of how much input lag you are dealing with...keep in mind that this is extremely unscientific and the numbers can't really be used for anything other than to satisfy your curiosity and to give you an idea of the relative difference between two displays.

On your computer (a laptop or one with a desktop monitor), go to http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/index.php and perform the test a bunch of times...say 30 and record your average reaction time.

Now, using your PS3 browser on on your HDTV, go to the same website and perform the test again. Do the same number of tests and see what your average is.

Here are my results on various displays:

CRT monitor in my office (which should, in theory, have no lag): 185ms

Desktop monitor (an LCD screen): 200ms (LCD monitors don't have image processing like your TV does, but are slower than old CRT monitors)

50" Samsung Plasma TV (my main gaming TV): 235ms

40" Samsung LCD (in my bedroom): 275ms.

Old 50" Hitachi Rear Projection HDTV (great for gaming): 225ms (sadly it died)

Everyone is different, but my threshold seems to be very close to that 235ms number...ever since my old Hitachi TV died and I replaced it with the Samsung Plasma, I've noticed the lag, but I think its manageable. I'm late on a lot of fastballs, but I've been adjusting. The game is unplayable for me on the Samsung LCD at 275ms lag.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »