Home

The Paleo Diet..I'm a convert.

This is a discussion on The Paleo Diet..I'm a convert. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
The Paleo Diet..I'm a convert.

I studied the diet for a while and bought the book by Dr. Cordain. Fascinating stuff and backed by a lot of quality facts.

Anyway, I've been "hardcore" Paleo for close to 2 weeks now. No dairy. No grains. No legumes (beans/peanuts).

Just lean meat, seafood, fruits, and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and oils (olive oil, etc.)

I've already dropped from 228 to 220 in 2 weeks. Obviously, most of that weight was water weight but I can already tell I"m leaning up rapidly.

I haven't been jittery or lightheaded and my workouts have been great. Actually, my energy levels have been great and stable throughout the day. I'm never hungry because I'm eating high fiber, high protein foods.

Anyone else tried Paleo? I'm a huge fan after this 2 week period.

I've been a Personal Trainer/Nutritionist for 15 years and after looking at the diet closely and seeing its effects personally, I think I'm gonna go this direction for the long haul.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: The Paleo Diet..I'm a convert.

Makes sense to me.

What is the macro breakdown or is there one?

*Eggs are in there too, right?

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

No grains as in no carbs whatsoever? Seems like yet another fad diet. I understand limiting carbs and all, but absolutely none works against the foundation of the human body's function. I lost 30+ pounds on a modified Atkins/low-carb diet and while it was great, it simply wasn't sustainable for over a year due to food costs, lack of variety in the diet, and time in preparation of meals.

But this "diet" does have some good things working for it that almost any sustainable lifestyle change diet incorporates: healthy fats, protein, limited carbs, high fiber, etc.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
No grains as in no carbs whatsoever? Seems like yet another fad diet. I understand limiting carbs and all, but absolutely none works against the foundation of the human body's function.
There are plenty of carbohydrates in fruit and veggies. This is nowhere near a "zero carb" diet. I eat peaches, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apples, oranges, bananas, etc. There are also plenty of carbs in carrots, tomatoes, etc.

The modern "Western Diet" is so ridiculously skewed towards carbohydrates its scary.

Human Beings have been on this planet for 2.7 million years. Agriculture (i.e. farming) and the consumption of dairy products began roughly 10,000 years ago. In the evolutionary frame of mind..that is not near enough time for our bodies to adapt to these newer foods. Our ancestors for 98% of the time that we have existed lived on a diet dominated by lean meats, seafood, fruits and vegetables.

Quote:
I lost 30+ pounds on a modified Atkins/low-carb diet and while it was great, it simply wasn't sustainable for over a year due to food costs, lack of variety in the diet, and time in preparation of meals.
The Atkins diet is a horrible creation. Sure, you lose weight but it is unhealthy weight loss in that it actually IS a "zero carb" diet. It also encourages eating tons of bacon, sausage, and other highly saturated fat meats. It also discourages eating fruits and vegetables which are the most nutritious foods on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
What is the macro breakdown or is there one?

*Eggs are in there too, right?
Basically Jess, if it was around 1 million years ago...eat it.

The main focus is lean animal protein. Eggs are included. Carbohydrates make up roughly 22-30% of your intake, lean protein around 35-40%, and good fats the remainder.

It's an extremely healthy, well rounded way of eating and has been shown to relieve many modern day "food based diseases" such as acne, food allergies, etc. Most of these conditions are based on our body's inability to fully adapt to dairy, grains, and legumes, which all have ingredients within them which can aggravate our bodies (such as lactose intolerance) or strip minerals from the body (such as phytates, which exist in grains).

I'd suggest taking a look at it. Lots of great case studies, research, etc.

By no means is this a "fad diet". You aren't going zero anything. You are simply eating whole, natural foods that the Human Race has been genetically designed to eat for almost 3 million years.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

I read a little about this a couple months ago when I was debating on not using soap/shampoo when I shower and the overall reviews seem to be favorable.

I might try this over the summer. Any tips on where to start?
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Pro

erich20012001's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
I read a little about this a couple months ago when I was debating on not using soap/shampoo when I shower and the overall reviews seem to be favorable.

I might try this over the summer. Any tips on where to start?
Just wondering, are you still going no soap/shampoo when you shower?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

I like the basic principles of the diet (less refined crap and sugar, more meat, fruit, veges etc) and i mainly eat like that but i don't follow the diet 100%.

I like my carbs too much (steel cut oats ftw!) and it's not that compatible with modern life in some regards imo but it def has it merits and I have no doubt its way healthier than the vast majority of diets out there.

Kinda funny how Lyle McDonald (a nutrition guru) calls them 'Paleotards' and likens it to a cult more than a diet but anything that encourages people to eat more natural whole natural foods and less refined sugar and transfat is fine by me.

Intermittent fasting's where its at for me......
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

I believe Sean May used this diet while playing at UNC. I am not sure it was called the paleo diet but it was pretty much eat anything natural that a caveman would have. It is an interesting idea, I'd never be able to follow it, though.

If you remember, May did lean up quite a bit at UNC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »