Home

Revamped Player Retirements

This is a discussion on Revamped Player Retirements within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Rookie

BuzzKardzrool's Arena

OVR: 7
Revamped Player Retirements

"Last year, very few players retired each year in our game. We’ve addressed that by making sure that older players retire at a slightly quicker rate, allowing for young players to take over and get a chance to contribute."

It's no deal breaker but I personally feel this wasn't neccessary. I really hope they mean slight. If you look at the careers of 90-some percent of NFL players, hardly anyone "retires". Most players just simply aren't good enough to play anymore. Very few players get to retire on their own terms. We'll see how the new franchise mode plays out. I'm very optimistic and thrilled with all the changes, just figured I'd point out my slight disappointment with this particular announcement. No biggie though, can't wait for Madden 12.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Revamped Player Retirements

Yeah, this is something I'm skeptical about. When I play franchise, a lot of players retire early, like T.O. and Ricky Williams, who will probably play for another year or two. I just hope it takes into consideration the level of talent a player has. An aging great player is more likely to play for a couple more years than an aging average player.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

What I hope it effects is the free agent pool. After 4 or 5 years of a franchise the pool is just ridiculously huge. Good players just sit their for years and years not signing with anyone, and the list just keep growing. In real life after a couple years out of the league, these guys would "retire" and move on to another career.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by over9000yards
Yeah, this is something I'm skeptical about. When I play franchise, a lot of players retire early, like T.O. and Ricky Williams, who will probably play for another year or two. I just hope it takes into consideration the level of talent a player has. An aging great player is more likely to play for a couple more years than an aging average player.
This whole post.

I'm sure if we all go far enough, Aaron Rodgers will retire when he's 31. Adrian Peterson will retire once he hits 29. Hell, maybe even rookies will retire in their second year.

They need to FIX retirements, not make them more frequent. I see Terrell Owens playing for 2 or 3 more years because he seems like that kind of guy. Offensive lineman shouldn't be retiring in the game until their late 30's.. not 32 and 33.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yea, they should base retirements off of stats accumulated, with age being a secondary part of the equation.

If a RB starts getting 200 yards off 100 carries in a season, AND he is 33+, then yea, let him retire.

If a RB is getting 1,500 yards off 400 carries (3.75 YPC), even if he is 34, I think he'd stay to be honest.

Brett Favre is the famous example, he had a great season two seasons ago, so he stayed, then he did pretty bad this past season so he retired (probably for good this time).

If the player seems like he is an important character in the offense, and puts up good/great stats, I really don't think he would retire. Although, I remember there being a Miami Dolphin linebacker... Zach Thomas? who had pretty decent stats and still retired... so it could go both ways.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by delimeat567
Yea, they should base retirements off of stats accumulated, with age being a secondary part of the equation.

If a RB starts getting 200 yards off 100 carries in a season, AND he is 33+, then yea, let him retire.

If a RB is getting 1,500 yards off 400 carries (3.75 YPC), even if he is 34, I think he'd stay to be honest.

Brett Favre is the famous example, he had a great season two seasons ago, so he stayed, then he did pretty bad this past season so he retired (probably for good this time).

If the player seems like he is an important character in the offense, and puts up good/great stats, I really don't think he would retire. Although, I remember there being a Miami Dolphin linebacker... Zach Thomas? who had pretty decent stats and still retired... so it could go both ways.
He more or less retired because he got cut. He signed with the Cowboys, had a decent season for his age.. and then the next year he signed with the Chiefs and they cut him at the end of the preseason so he signed a 1-day contract with the Dolphins and retired.

I feel like that showed weigh some effect. If a star player feels like he doesn't want to bounce around from team to team that they may lean towards retirement.. of course unless you're Randy Moss or Terrell Owens.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »