Home

Dynamic Potential Rating

This is a discussion on Dynamic Potential Rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Rookie

JT5978's Arena

OVR: 2
Dynamic Potential Rating

I've been thinking about this for a while but wouldn't it be a good idea if rookies and younger NFL player's potential rating could fluctuate early in their careers?

Think of players like Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell who came into the league with loads of potential but never reached them. Also think of players like Jerry Rice and Tom Brady who far exceeded theirs.

For instance, say you draft a QB in the first round with A potential. If his play through his first few years in the league is sub-par, his potential will fall to maybe a B or C. In the NFL, you never can really tell how good a player is gonna be until about their 3rd of 4th year in the league and I think that should be reflected in Madden.

(Also I wish that they would hide the potential rating of a player altogether or at least keep it hidden for their first few years)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Dynamic Potential Rating

I think that all young players should have a blank or ? potential depending on their stats in real games. If you draft a 59 overall 7th rounder at QB, he should be able to progress if he has good stats. If he shows his rating, he shouldn't.

After a few years his potential will become available, and that will go by his consistency, confidence, traits, and stats.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 36

I like the idea of a floating POT rating until the end of his 3rd season, at which point his final POT is revealed.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

This then comes back to the old-school ways of being able to turn anyone into a star. Half of the players have a 'B' (80+) Potential already. If they did it your way then almost all of thoses B's would turn into A's (For User teams). It's just too easy to turn a player into a star.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I like the idea of a floating POT rating until the end of his 3rd season, at which point his final POT is revealed.
My idea is more like this. Just have the POT unknown with a ? or X until his third season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Rookie

JT5978's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuma
This then comes back to the old-school ways of being able to turn anyone into a star. Half of the players have a 'B' (80+) Potential already. If they did it your way then almost all of thoses B's would turn into A's (For User teams). It's just too easy to turn a player into a star.
I think that has to do more with the difficulty of Madden more than what I'm proposing. They could make this better by making it exponentially harder to turn a low overall player into a star
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

I like the ideal of hiding a players potential, that way it adds even more weight to the "should I cut him or give him a shot" decision. But as far as how they play and how it effects their potential, I'm not buying that. It's true that being drafted to the wrong team could make a guy look like a bust, but at the same time I don't think that should be in Madden. Mostly because stats themselves can be far-fetched.

Quick example, if you have a team with no offense and no o-line, then your top 5 drafted RB will have a horrid potential since he has a hard time running the ball. At the same time, your 7th round MLB will have a high potential because he's on the field 80% of the time racking up tackles.

I think if players have a break out year then maybe their potential could move a tad bit (if there really is a number behind the letter rating), but it's hard to say. Plus, we can say how it isn't "real," but how many times do we see players get their potential ratings and OVRs adjusted during roster updates that were way different then when the game shipped?

Just to add to that, look at Rodgers ratings this year versus last, and also look at Adrian Foster/L. Blounts rating versus last years starting point. I highly doubt in Franchise mode you'll ever get the results you see with these two players. Rodgers already had good ratings but winning a super bowl makes him one of the top QB's in the game while Foster has a breakout year and Blount surprises everybody with his.

Do you ever have a QB jump to high 90's after winning a superbowl? Do you ever have a mid/lower rated RB skyrocket after 1 good year? No, but every year in Madden breakout players get mucho love in the ratings departments after having 1 great season. I guess at least we can mimic that if we want since we can edit players in Franchise lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Someone floated this idea like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Use the search.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »