Home

Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games

This is a discussion on Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games

We all know Fight Night and UFC are two rather successful franchises within the sports-gaming industry. These games give gamers a chance to create themselves in an environment that would be nothing more than a pipe dream if it were transferred to real life. Nevertheless, if you put your mind to it, worked your *** off and trained every day, your pipe dream could come true, and you could be in the ring or octagon before you could say Tito Ortiz.

But can you burn in Hell, put on a yellow mask and become Scorpion from Midway’s Mortal Kombat? Can you hop into an orange jumpsuit and bust out a Kamehameha wave and call yourself Goku? No, it won’t happen outside of your dreams.

The point is simple, an underlying lack of realism negates the opportunity for all fighting games to be considered sports games.

Read More - Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17
So by your definition, NBA Jam shouldn't be in the sports category because no one can jump 20 feet over the rim and do 1080s + double windmills all in one dunk, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Pro

TalenT's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1
So by your definition, NBA Jam shouldn't be in the sports category because no one can jump 20 feet over the rim and do 1080s + double windmills all in one dunk, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
But basketball is an actual sport. The "King of the Iron Fist" tournament is not a sport. The battles that take place in the underworld...not a sport. I kind of agree w/ this.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3
I think you should look at the bigger picture. If you are only looking at things from a simulation standpoint, you are kind of shutting yourself in a box. Football is football, fighting is fighting etc. When put into a competitive nature, it is a sport, no matter how you put it. Also when it comes to fighting games, designers also build their games outside of the digital space when it comes to pinpoint button presses within 2 frames etc. Games like madden are not built that way. So with that said fighting games are more sport in terms of in game and out of game skill. You need good dexterity to play street fighter, mvc3, MK, BBCS, etc.

All games are over the top, they all have things in them that don't really represent the sport sim. But fighting is and will always be a competition to see who is the strongest, fastest, and who can endure more, which makes fighting games sports games on two different levels in game and out versus a game like NBA 2K, Madden, Tiger Woods etc.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Mortal Kombat : fighting games :: NBA Jam : sports games

If a realistic fighting game like MMA and UFC can be considered a sports game, why can't an over-the-top fighting game like Mortal Kombat?

In Looney Toons Basketball for the SNES, I can summon anvils to fall out of the sky or electrocute my opponent with a strike of lighting, yet it obviously is still considered a sports game.

Why don't the same rules apply for Mortal Kombat?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Staff Writer

kelvinmak's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
But basketball is an actual sport. The "King of the Iron Fist" tournament is not a sport. The battles that take place in the underworld...not a sport. I kind of agree w/ this.
This whole debate just totally reminds me of this
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Mortal Kombat : fighting games :: NBA Jam : sports games

If a realistic fighting game like MMA and UFC can be considered a sports game, why can't an over-the-top fighting game like Mortal Kombat?

In Looney Toons Basketball for the SNES, I can summon anvils to fall out of the sky or electrocute my opponent with a strike of lighting, yet it obviously is still considered a sports game.

Why don't the same rules apply for Mortal Kombat?
if the choice was if NBA Jam is a sports game than Mortal Kombat is also a sports game. i would rather say NBA Jam is not a sports game.

NBA Jam to me is a sports game because for the most part it still follows some athletic rules, a 3 point shot is still worth 3 points, the team that scores more points still win. if unrealistic makes things not a sports game, you can turn off fouls in NBA 2K11 and make it unrealistic too.

what MMA or boxing rules does Mortal Kombat comply by?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Rookie

notoriouzwun's Arena

OVR: 14
I have never considered "fighting games" as sports games. Nor do I believe they should be put in that same realm. Although I don't consider WWE or TNA professional wrestling a sport. Athletic people take part in it but its entertainment. If I were to throw WWE or TNA in I would have to throw in Stuntmen from movies. I understand the OP's original point though. I would just say its safe to assume the majority would not consider Mortal Kombat a sports game.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »