Home

CPU defensive playcall logic

This is a discussion on CPU defensive playcall logic within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18
CPU defensive playcall logic

Does anyone know what drives the defensive playcall logic? Do they react to the personnel that my offense will have on my play? Do they know what formation I'm going to line up in? Or the biggest question, do they know what play I called?

The reason i ask this, is it seems that if i call a dive play from a 4 wide set, the defense seems to know this and stacks the box. Then when I audible to a pass they adjust out to cover the wr's. however, if I fake audible or audible to another run they don't adjust out to the wr's. I can only assume that they know what play I called.

I would love to hear what goes into CPU defensive playcalling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: CPU defensive playcall logic

in Madden 11 if i line up with 4 wrs on first down i've found the CPU ALWAYS buts out a standard 4-3 with only 2 cornerbacks plus 2 safeties.

highly, highly, highly annoying. they'll have a 78-speed LB covering a WR with 94 speed, for example.

not realistic at all.

on second down, they'll play nickel against even 4 wideouts and finally on 3rd they'll bring out the dime.

it's WAY too easy to cheese it up with a WR being covered by an LB. i tried to have a house rule of not throwing to that WR then i finally decided i could only bring out 4-WR sets on 3rd down too combat this insanely ignorant CPU matchup.

i was once down by 4 in the last minute, about 80 yards to go, i must get a TG, not a FG, and i bring out 4 WRs.

the CPU should be playing some kind of Prevent D, right? only one LB and 4 CBs and 2 safeties, right?

wrong. they play a a 4-3 and i chuck it deep to a streaking WR. he catches and goes the distance. i win the game.

i go back to check the replay to find the CPU had a linebacker covering a guy with 94 speed. i won the game but it was the most unsatisfying comeback ever.

the CPU rides the short bus. i really, really hope that is corrected in 12.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

The CPU certainly cheats a bit, too. If I call a 4 WR set and a draw, the CPU always seems to call a nickel or a strong nickel. I usually end up calling a 4 WR draw, then audible to a pass to get around it.

The CPU does seem to take the down and distance into consideration more than the formation.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Thats why I have my sliders super jacked just to counter the nonsense the CPU calls sometimes. I hate when I'm down and the CPU should be calling some kind of prevent or at least 2 man under and they send an 8 man blitz. This happens a lot during the 2 minute drill. Really hope they fixed the CPUs defensive play calling for real.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
Thats why I have my sliders super jacked just to counter the nonsense the CPU calls sometimes. I hate when I'm down and the CPU should be calling some kind of prevent or at least 2 man under and they send an 8 man blitz. This happens a lot during the 2 minute drill. Really hope they fixed the CPUs defensive play calling for real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

A couple of things...

Yes, the D seems to know what we call. I've come out on 1st & 10 with 4-5 WRs and a run called, and had the CPU line up in a base 4-3/3-4. I've also seen them audible to more of a pass D when I audibled to a pass. Seems like the CPU doesn't pay much attention to the personnel at all.

And the CPU is limited by the same pre-packaged defensive schemes that we are. Do they pick the coverage they want and live with the blitzes/stunts? Do they pick the blitzes/stunts they want & live with the coverage? A little off topic, but I think this is why we see inappropriate blitzes from the CPU.

Not only does the play calling logic need an over haul, but IMO, the defense won't be right for the CPU or user until they switch to a tiered play calling system... or add enough pre-packaged schemes to cover at least the basics.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
I think the logic is the same as Gameflow. Normal, Nickel, Dime.

The CPU doesn't "know" your play call on 1st down, they ALWAYS call Base on 1st down regeardless of personnel.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
I think the logic is the same as Gameflow. Normal, Nickel, Dime.

The CPU doesn't "know" your play call on 1st down, they ALWAYS call Base on 1st down regeardless of personnel.
Why would they audible from a base D to a pass D when we audible from a run to a pass with 4 WRs on 1st down?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »