Home

College Football: Who and Why?

This is a discussion on College Football: Who and Why? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 32
Talking College Football: Who and Why?

I thought it might be interesting to start a little "get to know you" thread that I hope may make for some enjoyable reads throughout it's lifespan.

I have been a member of OS for quite sometime and over the years have been able to compile a mental database, so to speak, of certain members and their, passion for college football, favorite teams, memories. etc..

However, in those years, I was never able to determine why they were fans of that team, what made them fans and so on. Many of you I know little if anything about.

Would any of you guys be interested in answering the following:

What team or teams are you passionate about? (any division or level)

Why are you a fan of that/those teams? (History, Traditions, Players, Coaches, Playstyle, Memories)

Did NCAA Football make you a fan?

What teams do you consider your rivals or loathe?

I posted this another thread and didn't want to rewrite it:

For me, I am a VOLS fan. I didn't attend UT, nor have I ever been to a game at Neyland. Heck for a large portion of my life, I didn't even live in Tennessee. I grew up in Mississippi and quickly became a fan of MSU. In this state, you are either a fan of UM, MSU, or not a fan of football at all and are an outcast, yes I am completely serious.

Anyway, growing up as a fan MSU, I learned to really hate the VOLS. I mean I hated the VOLS and my father hated the VOLS. I mean who were these guys in these ugly orange uniforms, beating my MSU team, and then following it up by beating the Seminoles in the national championship?

So a few years later I started playing NCAA with the VOLS, after that I started watching their games, traditions, and eventually I began to like them. My passion for the VOLS has grown from there and continues to grow. I still follow MSU and go to their games, but I don't have a passion for them like I do the VOLS, MSU is a part of me because I grew up around them.

The VOLS reflect a lot of my personality in their traditions and playstyle. They are program built on tradition and keep to those traditions, Even their uniforms have remained very conservative.

I also follow the Seminoles, Nittany Lions, and the MSU Bulldogs. The Seminoles became one of favorite teams on account of Bobby Bowden. I used to love watching his interviews. I don't know why the any of the networks didn't offer him a broadcast contract. He would have been fun to watch. He is gone now but my love for the Seminoles will never die.

MSU speaks for itself, I grew up in Mississippi.

Nittany Lions, Watching TV, Joe Paterno, NCAA 11, and Videos

How about you guys?

Last edited by SECElit3; 07-12-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: College Football: Who and Why?

Being brutally honest I became a Michigan fan when I asked my mom which was the better school, Michigan or Michigan State. She said Michigan. My choice was made.

Coincidentally the first game I remember watching was MSU @ UM, 1990. Michigan #1 in the nation lost 28-27 at home - thanks, refs - on a non-call PI on Desmond Howard.

Obviously I hate Ohio State, but I'm one of the few people who actually hates Michigan State a lot more.

Also have always been very fond of Penn State and Nebraska. Kinda neat they're both in the B1G now.

Currently a grad student at UM.

Cheers.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3

I've been a Clemson fan since birth, My first word was Tiger, I kid you not. I live in a part of South Carolina that is around 80% SCAR fans, so I wouldn't say I hate them, but it's pretty darn close.

Two years ago I reached my lifelong dream as getting accepted by Clemson. It was a wonderful two years, but sadly I ran out of money, Clemson is just too expensive. So now, sadly I have to finish up my Mechanical Engineering degree at the University of South Carolina. Hopefully I'll be able to go back to Clemson after this year to get my degree.

I'm also a very very very so so Notre Dame fan. I don't really follow them, but if someone asked who my second NCAA team was it'd be them. Mainly because honestly growing up Rudy was my favorite sports movie, that and my Irish heritage.

Last edited by JSHT21; 07-12-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

OVR: 8

I was born and raised in Lincoln, NE. So I never really had a choice if I wanted one.

I considered Oklahoma a big time rival before the split to the Big 12. I never considered Colorado a rival since most times we curb-stomped them, but they are definitely the most hated. Texas has made a run though, recently.

Graduated from Nebraska a couple times. Fully engrained with season tickets and am blessed with a sweet tailgate parking spot right outside the stadium. Can't really ask for much more.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 32

These are great guys.. Keep them coming!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Freakydeaky9's Arena

OVR: 2

Born and raised a Nevada fan in Reno for all 16 years. Always told by my cousins to like UNLV but it never happened. I like to be an underdog so this is perfect for me and I love the atmosphere and the fans here. Boise State and UNLV are the two rivals I hope we beat. When i'm out of high school I want to go to Nevada for engineering and because it's a good party school.

My first live game was 2007 UNR (Nevada) vs UNLV it was a tie the whole game until I think Jeff Rowe made a pass to Marko Mitchell in the end zone with 3 seconds in the game. Rushing the field and seeing the cannon was really cool.

I like to watch Nevada, UCLA, and pretty much any west coast teams
NCAA #1: Nevada Wolf Pack
NCAA #2: UCLA Bruins
NFL: Denver Broncos
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: Portland Trailblazers
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13

Raised in Jordan Hare Stadium. My first words were War Damn Eagle.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

I don't have a single team. I follow football period at the college level, but I have certain teams I pay more attention to for certain reasons.

Oregon - Started watching them in the early 2000's before they went all crazy with the jerseys. Saw the screwjob with Nebraska, Joey Harrington, etc...

Arkansas - My parents are Razorback fans, it was only natural to at least follow them.

Memphis - Lived in north Mississippi so Memphis is a favorite. Had season tickets in 2005 to see Deangelo Wiliams' senior season. Lots of fun that year. They played Akron in the Motor City Bowl, which leads me to...

Akron - Where I did my undergrad and about to finish my master's at. Don't really follow them as much since that 2005 season, they've been rather dismal. I went to a few Akron/Kent games, but yea... last year was a massacre.

Mississippi State - Most of my friends went there. Best friend of mine, his family has had season tickets for years since they are alumni so I went down to Starkville for a few games. Knew quite a few players on the team the past few years as I went to high school with them; K.J. Wright is one I graduated with.

After that, I watch football period.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »