Home

Netflix hikes prices for DVDs + streaming

This is a discussion on Netflix hikes prices for DVDs + streaming within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Netflix hikes prices for DVDs + streaming

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/12/tech....htm?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Netflix is launching new, unlimited DVD-only plans in the U.S. -- but as a part of that move, it's scrapping unlimited plans that include both physical DVDs and online streaming.

Subscription movie rental service Netflix (NFLX) said Tuesday that the changes are meant to "better reflect the costs" of each option. The changes cut prices slightly for customers who only want DVDs, but streaming video will now cost extra. Customers who want both options will essentially have to pay for two plans, raising their overall bill.

Netflix's unlimited streaming-only plan will remain at $7.99 a month, while its "1 DVD at a time" plan will also cost $7.99. That means customers who want both streaming and DVDs will have to shell out at least $15.98 a month.

That's a big jump from the $9.99 a month customers currently pay for a plan that offers unlimited streaming plus 1 DVD at a time.

The changes will be effective immediately for new customers and will take effect September 1 for existing members, Netflix said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Netflix hikes prices for DVDs + streaming

Studios are getting ready to really hike their prices for rights to stream their media. I am betting this is why.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

I expected this. Was waiting for them to announce it. After they paid $1 MM per episode of Mad Men, there was no way they couldn't hike the prices.

Mad Men isn't even a ratings killer, so imagine the rise in costs for shows in greater demand.

Oh, well, I'll pay the $15. I'll even pay $20 so they'll have me for a while.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I expected this. Was waiting for them to announce it. After they paid $1 MM per episode of Mad Men, there was no way they couldn't hike the prices.

Mad Men isn't even a ratings killer, so imagine the rise in costs for shows in greater demand.

Oh, well, I'll pay the $15. I'll even pay $20 so they'll have me for a while.
I read the rights fees the studios charge are going to go up like tenfold.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

As long as the streaming only package doesn't go up (yet) I'm fine with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I read the rights fees the studios charge are going to go up like tenfold.
They will. And Netflix isn't going to add too many more customers. They will end up paying more for streaming video than they will gain in new customers.

I'm actually more surprised that streaming-only is remaining the same price since I would expect that would actually rise. But, perhaps Netflix can't justify doing that when many still complain about their streaming options.

By the way, I find the complaints rather silly about the streaming options. One person said they'll go with HBO instead. HBO also has limitations on how many movies they can show and the selection is much less than what Netflix will offer on a consistent basis.

Another said they will switch back to cable. Cable's on-demand service is horrible and the cost for cable is at least twice or three times as much as Netflix stream-only (and that's with a very limited cable plan).

Now this does open the door for some of those cable premium services popping up, but I'm not sure Netflix cares about those. Netflix isn't concerned about providing new-releases to people; they are more concerned with providing as much streaming options as possible and using that model to become a monster in the online streaming market - consider they are also going to start streaming original programming.

Streaming-only is going to cost more soon. I find this move a way for them to cut out the DVD-only people and get more to sign up for streaming so they can convince more studios to offer their content.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
While I'm unhappy I'll be paying more for both. I'll stay with Netflix for now. If it goes above $20 I may have to adjust.

Do you really care where I sent this from?
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Got the email yesterday. Yeah, I'll be going streaming only then. I've never been able to sit well with price hikes that don't add to my service. I've noticed the dvd/blu-rays have been sitting around the house for far too long anyway lately.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »