Home

Banning Fighting in NHL

This is a discussion on Banning Fighting in NHL within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Pro

porky14's Arena

OVR: 6
Banning Fighting in NHL

Now if they do this, there will be alot more cheap shots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Banning Fighting in NHL

They shouldn't ban fighting, if they do anything they should just make the punishment bigger. Fighting should still be a part of the game, but only when it is needed. Not the way it is now, seemingly just a gimmick to get people excited.

Or maybe, if a guy gets in more than 10 fights a year, you have to pay him more, that would sure get GM's to persuade their players to not fight, and I think it would completely eliminate the enforcer role on the team. If all he can do is fight, you're going to have to pay him more, and I'm sure most GM's would be quick to cut ties with their goons to save $. Why spend money on a guy who's only true NHL level skill is fighting?

Just thinking out loud here...

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 09-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Those are pretty good rough ideas.

I don't think fighting and cheap shots have ANY correlation anymore. No one answers the bell anymore. The bell should be a suspension handed down from the league, and hopefully with Shanahan in charge there, something, ANYTHING will get done, and get dealt with correctly.

If anything, I wish they'd lean towards more severe punishments instead of going on the lighter end. Something, ANYTHING has to be done because this is getting too crazy. A really good player can't play anymore (Savard), and a top 3 player is still dealing with concussion issues (Crosby). Not to mention the David Perron's of the league who are still having problems due to a concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

More or less related to the discussion... check out this Men's Health interview with former Flyers tough guy and current AHL asst coach Riley Cote. Great read that gets into not only the physical toll, but also the mental aspects of being an enforcer from a guy who retired at 28 for reasons close to the debate.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Very telling interview with Cote.

He touches on if fighting should be banned, then goes on to talk about certain guys like Matt Cooke and Sean Avery who play recklessly but don't answer the bell quite as much as your typical enforcer. Which is happening already, with fighting in place. But he says eliminating fighting would be "complete bull."

Don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

My take on that Slick was that Cote thinks the "rats" (as he calls them) would only get worse if they knew anyone that tries to fight them would be more severely punished. I can see where he's coming from. Even playing roller hockey there are always some little [bleeps] who will act tough because they know no one can pound on them.

Fighting in hockey is such a layered and complex issue. Honestly, I think the league needs to take a closer look at drug abuse, mental health, and other potential post-career issues among all players -- even if enforcers might be more prone -- rather than a knee-jerk fighting ban under the assumption it will solve any of these problems.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
For me fighting is apart of hockey and I enjoy it. I'm fine with the way it is. I don't think I would be opposed to a rule change but as long as they don't ban it.

Do you really care where I sent this from?
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I don't think it should be completely banned but if there are fights then they should kick out the fighters after they've had their go of it.

Maybe that's the happy medium the league should look at doing.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »