Home

NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions

Judging by my first 10 or so games, I think the NHL series is nearing some dangerous territory. I won’t say the series is about to plateau, as that sort of has a negative connotation. It’s just that, as the game continues to refine itself, the major changes will become harder to find if you're not a hardcore fan.

Some big changes are included this year, and readily apparent for those with an intimate knowledge of the game. Things like the new anticipation engine make for a much more fluid game, especially in transition; signature style and traits certainly put a focus on star players as they take the ice; new animations and stick-work for battles around the net give a tactical and physical feel to those exchanges, and puck physics continue to impress (it feels like flip dumps lead to all sorts of different outcomes, for example).

Yet as meaningful as these changes are to the hardcore hockey fan, the other additions --those likely added to attract the more casual fan -- don’t quite hit home. The new mode, Be a Legend, feels like a half-hearted attempt at bringing something brand new to the table. The Winter Classic is pretty enough, but it would probably be better if it was current rather than about "reliving the 2011 Classic." (To be fair, the NHL hasn't really solidified all the details yet, but people know it's going to be Rangers/Flyers.)

In some ways, this intro is a back-handed compliment. Sure, at the end of the day, there are not any groundbreaking improvements. That being said, NHL 12 is still a rock solid game. The small changes affect the game and the way you play it -- they just are not "game-changing."

Read More - NHL 12 Impressions
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
another EA title with lack luster commentary...what else is new!?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Rookie

don28's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 12 Initial Impressions

Sometimes it's OK to just make minor tweaks and changes instead of reinventing the wheel. I have enjoyed NHL 10 and 11, and look forward to doing the same with NHL 12.

Thanks for an honest and impartial review. At least those who are looking for the reinvention of the wheel have been forewarned.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
Ya EA has made the mistake in the past of going to far and actually making these worse as apposed to better. I thought NHL 11 was great with some minor tweaking could be much more refined and thats what I'm really looking for out of NHL 12.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5
Amazing to hear the comments from people who have played hockey and haven't. I grew up playing hockey, played the NHL 12 demo for 5 minutes, and was hooked. NHL 12 is the closest game to how hockey actually plays in the series. NHL 12 is a big improvement on NHL 11. Focusing on "signature style and traits" is probably the most important aspect of hockey. Set plays really do not have an impact and the flow of the game is dependent on the individual movement and reaction of each player based on what is actually happening.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Thanks for the review, Chase.

Myself, I like the idea that they've focused a decent amount of dev time trying to refine the gameplay. It's what matters most to me. In my experience with the games last few releases, it isn't very often I see things that really make me think...WTH! Things that can really drag the game experience down. Of course there's always going to be a few things here and there with any game. But to me, NHL does a good job of holding those things to a reasonable minimum.

I guess in the end, I like what I've seen outta the demo. So I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the heck outta the retail game.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Rookie

DatsyukianDeke's Arena

OVR: 1
Any new details or impressions from EASHL? That's what matters most.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Well everyone knows this is gonna happen at some point with sports games. It's hard to reinevent a sport. However, there is still plenty that can be done and something that would please the casuals/hardcore fans. Revamp the Presentation (commentary included) and beef up BAGM. Those two improvements would make everyone happy and be quite noticeable. That said, improvements to the physics and AI will always be welcome as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »